Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #46
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryagain View Post
The caliper appears to need the axial play in the rotor but not the radial play.
...but the thermal expansion of the rotor assembly does need [at least some of] that radial play.

IMHO, it's not worth a warped (or worst case, cracked) rotor just because it makes a little bit of noise. If it really bothers you, do the zip tie thing.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Just ride more dirt and the play is tightened right up on the floating disc.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #48
Tryagain
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Packing the brakes discs with dirt might reduce the rattle but its not a vey "clean" solution. As for possible thermal expansion troubles, I believe the inside diameter of the brake disc gets larger when it is hot. That means increased clearance to the hub since the hub is cooler. Those who are tired of the rattle might consider the little springs I described above. They're working fine for me.
Tryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryagain View Post
...I believe the inside diameter of the brake disc gets larger when it is hot. That means increased clearance to the hub since the hub is cooler.
Except that the carrier material expands significantly faster than the rotor material. So then its a matter of how much cooler the carrier is than the rotor.

I'm not saying the world is going to end if you stuff something from a screen window in your rotor, I'm just not as willing to accept the no-so-technical dismissal that "its probably okay"...

bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #50
betitolara
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357 View Post
I just had my front rotors replaced under warranty - that was a nice break (pun intended)!! The floating discs had vibrated an 1/8 to 3/16 inch gap. New ones have under an 1/8".

Just thought I would let others know that this could buy some time before shelling out the money for aftermarket rotors.
Interesting... how many kms on your bike @ the time of warranty replacement? are you located in N.America?
My floating disc rotors are more like 'dancing' disc rotors.. VERY VERY lose ... and my local dealer said: $500 a piece (That's a total of $2,000 for both my F8GSs that have the same problem)
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 962
Thought I would share some info. I just put Braking front rotors on my 2nd wheel set. I got them from www.pureperformancecycles.com Talked to Dan after ordering the EBC disks. He recommended the Braking. I just put them on and went for a spin around the block. Everything felt good and stopped well but they still need broken in of course.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #52
betitolara
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
Thought I would share some info. I just put Braking front rotors on my 2nd wheel set. I got them from www.pureperformancecycles.com Talked to Dan after ordering the EBC disks. He recommended the Braking. I just put them on and went for a spin around the block. Everything felt good and stopped well but they still need broken in of course.
+1
great info thx!
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote