Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Hey Cap - I struggled recently trying to re-learn sand in Arizona, where I keep a Yamaha WR250R dual sport. There is a 13 mile natural drainage there called Camp Creek Wash. I was asked by an inmate to scout sections of the Great Western Trail with a GPS as the GWT is sort of a work-in-progress. It included this wash as a connector of two big sections and they wanted me to see if it was big bike friendly.

I tried 3X to ride that wash and failed from both ends of it. After a couple days pondering my struggles I decided to mount a new front tire and try again. Many inmates gave me riding tips too. So I went back with a fresh tire and an mind to improve my technique. I did it in about 30 minutes end to end.

I had the OEM Bridgestone Deathwings on it. The new tire was a Michelin T63. It was like night and day in the sand. It was good in the mud too, but the only place to test it there is water crossings.

So my suggestion is to get one of those T63's for the front of that KLR. Speedwise, I found I had to keep it up above 16mph and generally a bit higher. This stuff was deep! I stopped once, and it was very hard to get going again with the bars waggling and such. I think 30mph would have been best, but I am sensitive to falling off at much speed too. 16 was good for me.

Yes, it was Abercorn I guess... And don't go ruining my long cherished images with realities like grandkids!
Went out and rode on the sand roads again today, no pics. It is getting looser and deeper as it drys. The roads here go from hard packed to very soft sometimes without much warning. Keeps it exciting. Not as challenging however as driving a car from I-95 to the Harvard Legal Seafoods rest. on Friday night 3 weeks ago. Suicidal bicyclists, a warning ticket from a cop, crazy street layouts, and construction. She probably never married and still looks the same.