Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Gear shift leaking oil

Hi everyone,

My bike has started leaking transmission oil from the gearshift mechanism. Seems like a seal has gone inside and it is trickling down the selector lever. It has only just started doing this within the last 1k miles. The bike has about 80k miles on the clock, as far as I know the transmission has never been overhauled.

I am currently on the road and have no wish to even think about taking the tranny apart to replace the seal, or sending it off for this to be done.. I will put up with the leak for now and just keep an eye on the oil level. When I get home will have a look in more detail.

My question is.. Has this happened to anyone before? Is it a signal of worse things to come, or is it just simply a seal that has worn out?

Please tell me it is!

Sorry... Bike is a '79 R100RS (my first airhead )
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,784
It's real common. The seal can be replaced with the tranny in the bike. A lot of people will advise to rebuild the tranny regardless at 80k. I took one of mine apart at 106k and it didn't need a thing.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
It's real common. The seal can be replaced with the tranny in the bike. A lot of people will advise to rebuild the tranny regardless at 80k. I took one of mine apart at 106k and it didn't need a thing.
Thanks Supershaft. Was hoping that would be the case.

We still have another 15 - 20k miles minimum left on the trip. Hopefully it won't get too much worse before I get home and have chance to dig about further. Was planning on giving the bike a complete rebuild when we finish anyway. The PO looked after it to the best of my knowledge and I have always changed gear oil every 9k.. Always comes out as clean as new, so hopefully internally it is all as good as new. Encouraging to hear you had one with over 100k that was fine.

Out of curiosity, what is the process for replacing seal with tranny in bike? Is it as simple as removing gearshift, undoing Allen bolt, prying out seal and inserting a new one?

Any good links or recommended reading much appreciated.

Byron

Byron1 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:45 PM Reason: Adding text
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,939
Yep. It's as simple as that. Most of the time this is all it needs and if there are no more serious complaints then you don't need any more serious repairs.

One word of caution. The recess the seal goes into is a lot deeper than it needs to be. The seal can be driven in a lot deeper than it currently is. Make a note of how deep the seal is currently and when you drive the new seal in set it at about the same depth. Not rocket science but I drove mine all the way in before I realized it. Still works tho, you just can't see it. Lube the lip of the new seal with trannie oil when you put the shift lever back on.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
This is an easy road repair. Obtain seal. Someone can correct this number if incorrect for your bike, but I think it's 23-12-1-338-740.
Find a tree. Prop bike on right side against tree. Remove shifter lever. Remove old seal with screwdriver. Careful not to mar the bore. Press in new seal, just below flush on the casting. Replace lever. You won't lose much gear oil but you can top that off later.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Byron1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Yep. It's as simple as that. Most of the time this is all it needs and if there are no more serious complaints then you don't need any more serious repairs.

One word of caution. The recess the seal goes into is a lot deeper than it needs to be. The seal can be driven in a lot deeper than it currently is. Make a note of how deep the seal is currently and when you drive the new seal in set it at about the same depth. Not rocket science but I drove mine all the way in before I realized it. Still works tho, you just can't see it. Lube the lip of the new seal with trannie oil when you put the shift lever back on.
Thanks Diston,

Good to know. Will pick one up and fit it in.

Byron
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Yep, can be done on the bike, but rather than pry the seal out with a blade, you may want to get a couple (as in just two) small self tapping screws about #4 or #6 and screw them into the seal then pull it out with pliers or vice grips on the screws.

One method works for some folks, and the other works for some folks.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Mine was leaking but the seal hadn't migrated, but the cause was the nut holding the shift lever came loose. Could check that. Don't reef on it, just make sure it's snug.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
Mine was leaking but the seal hadn't migrated, but the cause was the nut holding the shift lever came loose. Could check that. Don't reef on it, just make sure it's snug.
Mine was leaking & got progressively worse quickly. I noticed on the ride the gear change was very loose. I tightened it up & the leak stopped. i'm not sure of whether it needs replacing. It may be that.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 352
Carefully peel the seal out, clean it well. Tap a new one in with a deep socket or something suitable. Tip bike against a wall or something to keep gear oil in transmission from interfering with the new seal between the case and seal. About the easiest seal to change on a bike Hope this helps

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote