User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
gsyogi OP
Seeker

Oddometer: 19
New F, Scratches from Dealership

I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage! Thanks in advance.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%281%29.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47845656/F%...%20%282%29.jpg
gsyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
ebnelson
Frozen rider

Oddometer: 233
Sorry to see your damage. I would probably work with the dealer first before posting this online. The next question will will ask will be, was it Foothills or Denver? It would be most fair for the dealer to have a chance to fix the problem at the outset.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
gsyogi OP
Seeker

Purposely didn't identify and will not as I sincerely wish to give the dealership a chance to make this right ... however, I wanted to see what others would suggest before I either raise hell or "let it go"?! I am kind of at a loss, that's why I posted here ... I will happily remove this post if you think it is premature!

gsyogi screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 07:35 PM
Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I had service today on one of my bikes in Denver and also have a new scratch. Not happy. Bike was also smoking from the radiator when I got home, which I'm hoping is just some overfilled fluid burning off.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
ebnelson
Frozen rider

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyogi View Post
Purposely didn't identify and will not as I sincerely wish to give the dealership a chance to make this right ... however, I wanted to see what others would suggest before I either raise hell or "let it go"?! I am kind of at a loss, that's why I posted here ... I will happily remove this post if you think it is premature!
I'd raise hell with the dealer for sure. Sounds like they have some rookie or ham fisted mechanics.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
I'd raise hell with the dealer for sure. Sounds like they have some rookie or ham fisted mechanics.
Are you serious?

Ship happens, even if you are careful and experienced. Tell them about it, give them a chance to fix it somehow, and when they deny it or refuse to do something about it - and you are POSITIVE that it wasn't there before - then you can raise hell.

Personally if I were to keep the bike I'd much rather have a X$ credit towards the next service/parts purchase. If you are going to own the bike for a while and riding it more than just your local Starbucks it's going to get scratched up anyway and those tiny little marks won't even be noticeable.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
you bought a adv bike to take offroad and ride trough rought terrain and you are woried about scratches

gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
"I took my new '12 F 800 GS in to the local dealership for some minor service—an installation of some accessory lights—(<1600 miles, pristine) and it was returned with the obvious "tool marks"/scratches on the fairing (see pics below). These were DEFINITELY not on the bike when I dropped the bike off for service. Any suggestions on gauging my response to the dealership? I know that my GS will get scratched up in the future, but I kind of wanted to be the one to do the damage"

Be aware that any repair short of ordering a new plastic will likely look as bad as the scratches. I don't know how you could prove the dealer did it even if you noticed it before taking the bike home. If the dealer values your relationship he will do something for you to ease the pain. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
You should trade it in on a Hurley.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
gsyogi OP
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
you bought a adv bike to take offroad and ride trough rought terrain and you are woried about scratches

NOT worried ... I think it is a matter of principle!? I will see what happens next week ...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
+1 on the touchup not working. Mine came with one tiny scratch near a fastener (which I didn't notice when I picked up the bike-- too excited) which was touched up. It does bug me but now a year out it would be pretty weird to bring it up. I agree -- I like to F it up myself! Somehow it's more forgivable when I do it.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
docsherlock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
BS - I'd make 'em fix it and that means they pony up for new plastic, so be it.

The tech took a short cut and did not take the tupperware off before doing the wrenching. BMW dealers charge premium rates and should not be doing shoddy work like this.

Yes, Adv bikes get scratched - but it should be the owner that does it, not the dealer.
docsherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
STVO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Unfortunately, if they choose to deny it, i'll come down to your word against their's. Wish you luck with it though, that sort of thing always leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by STVO View Post
Unfortunately, if they choose to deny it, i'll come down to your word against their's. Wish you luck with it though, that sort of thing always leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
+1. The longer you wait the less chance you have to proove their responsability.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
texci77
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsherlock View Post
BS - I'd make 'em fix it and that means they pony up for new plastic, so be it.

The tech took a short cut and did not take the tupperware off before doing the wrenching. BMW dealers charge premium rates and should not be doing shoddy work like this.

Yes, Adv bikes get scratched - but it should be the owner that does it, not the dealer.

This is exactly right, its not the fact that it got scratched, its the fact that is got scratched for $100 an hour. If I want my bike scratched I would do the work on it myself.
texci77 is offline   Reply With Quote