Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDVET View Post
Who is riding the black R69s with black wheels?
I want to say I've seen that bike at Apex Cycles in Ellijay before.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
Yep, I saw you Mr. R75/6 at the overlook on GA136 yesterday not far from Talking Rock. Nice bike.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Weekdays around 4:00 p.m. at the junction of CO 93 and 72, Jefferson county, CO - older K bike. Usually I'm in my cage, an 04 4Runner.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
motog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
White /5 or/6

Over the last few weeks I saw you, white /5 or /6 in Collingwood, Melbourne
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
I talked to a guy in traffic today. He was on an R60/5, black. had Kansas plates. Looked like he was going somewhere.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,414
Are airheads really this uncommon in the states? I thought they'd be lots of them about.

I was surprised when I was riding through Germany in June, expected to see lots around, eventually saw a 100R coming the other way and we both nearly fell off waving at each other. That was it for the whole of Germany.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

By looking at all the action on the internet and people talking about their adventures with Airheads you'd think there was a Gazillion of us. Apparently not so. I ride my R90/6 five or six times a week. I never see another Airhead. When I'm driving, witch I do for a living, I see an Airhead about 4 times a year, on the road. I know where a couple more are parked.

30 years ago the Washington, DC metro area was full of Airheads and it appeared this was one of the hot spots for BMW. Now, there are just not that many except the ones that stay in the garage. A lot of Oilies though and K bikes have replaced them.

I think a little further South of here is a little bit better for spotting Airheads. There's recently been a lot of talk from the riders around Atlanta.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
By looking at all the action on the internet and people talking about their adventures with Airheads you'd think there was a Gazillion of us. Apparently not so. I ride my R90/6 five or six times a week. I never see another Airhead. When I'm driving, witch I do for a living, I see an Airhead about 4 times a year, on the road. I know where a couple more are parked.

30 years ago the Washington, DC metro area was full of Airheads and it appeared this was one of the hot spots for BMW. Now, there are just not that many except the ones that stay in the garage. A lot of Oilies though and K bikes have replaced them.

I think a little further South of here is a little bit better for spotting Airheads. There's recently been a lot of talk from the riders around Atlanta.

I ride my airhead to work every day and go on day trips around Northern VA almost every weekend. I've seen a couple /2's and some /5's, but way more oilies and K bikes. I can't comment on the decline of them on the road as I've not been around for 30 years, and only been in NoVA for a couple years.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:

I was friends with an ex-bike courier from DC. He told me that a lot fo the guys using motorcycles were riding airheads due to reliablitly and tractorable/quiet motors. Wonder what happened to them all??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I was friends with an ex-bike courier from DC. He told me that a lot fo the guys using motorcycles were riding airheads due to reliablitly and tractorable/quiet motors. Wonder what happened to them all??
The courier business disappeared. First it was FAX machines and now with Email and the Internet there is just no need for that many couriers.

The glow may have worn off a bit too. The customers probably got tired of supporting a bunch of rowdies that sometimes showed up at their offices drunk or stoned. (I was a courier in DC on several incarnations)

HWG what company did your friend work for? Did you know Scrooge? Everybody with bikes knows Scrooge.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 233
Saw a couple on a GS (or some model of airhead dualsport) in Robinson Twp--RT 60 getting on the Parkway toward Pittsburgh at around 2:45 today----I was on the silver R90 with the Windjammer.
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #27
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

I haven't seen that guy in years....Brian Samuels. Really tall, blond, had a vw fox station wagon. If I see him I'll ask!

Quote:
The courier business disappeared. First it was FAX machines and now with Email and the Internet there is just no need for that many couriers.

The glow may have worn off a bit too. The customers probably got tired of supporting a bunch of rowdies that sometimes showed up at their offices drunk or stoned. (I was a courier in DC on several incarnations)

HWG what company did your friend work for? Did you know Scrooge? Everybody with bikes knows Scrooge.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #28
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

.....on saturday

on a black R100GS, yellow roo bar. You had to be heading to Barber. Black aerostich transit suit, black schuberth. Heading west on I20 just before the Alabama border

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 11:34 AM
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
I saw someone riding a /2 with a large white Hannigan (?) fairing on 10/14/12 ... IWe were in Franklin, North Carolina. Our rider was heading North on 441 and turing right on to 23/441 Sylva Road ... we were headed south back to Atlanta.

HOWDY!!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,230
I saw your airhead at the Barber Vintage Meet this past weekend...

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote