Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #151
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
they need to retest memphis drivers on their skills driveing in the rain ...........tough city in the rain glad you made it through ok .
I always take a 30 mile detour around memphis when it rains .
might be good you didnt take the battle field tour at Shiloh ..I visit once a year and always get man tears from the way the battle field is set up ...I always wonder if I could have been brave there myself ..it was a lot to ask of a man /boy
The Rebs had the yankees whipped the first day there and could have won the battle if they had fought through the night .
yankee reinforcements came during the first night by the river and gave the Rebs a supprise when the sun came up enough to turn the tide..
some of us southerners call Shiloh the battle over the boots ...the yankees had a warehouse full of new boots not far from there in Corinth Ms....they were much needed by the south... had the south won the battle the boots would have been their prize .
Old 10-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #152
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Interesting insights (both on the Battle of Shiloh and Memphis drivers...)

Yes, I think it was good that I DIDN'T take the "auto tour" route of the Shiloh Battlefield. For various reasons.

I'm coming to grips with what I've seen re the Civil War...I'm now able to think about it and read about it, etc. I may write up my thoughts after I get home.

Anyway, thanks again.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Man View Post
they need to retest memphis drivers on their skills driveing in the rain ...........tough city in the rain glad you made it through ok .
I always take a 30 mile detour around memphis when it rains .
might be good you didnt take the battle field tour at Shiloh ..I visit once a year and always get man tears from the way the battle field is set up ...I always wonder if I could have been brave there myself ..it was a lot to ask of a man /boy
The Rebs had the yankees whipped the first day there and could have won the battle if they had fought through the night .
yankee reinforcements came during the first night by the river and gave the Rebs a supprise when the sun came up enough to turn the tide..
some of us southerners call Shiloh the battle over the boots ...the yankees had a warehouse full of new boots not far from there in Corinth Ms....they were much needed by the south... had the south won the battle the boots would have been their prize .
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #153
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Friday 10/12: Conway, Arkansas - Erick, Oklahoma (almost in Texas!)

Gettin' close to home now. Some of my buddies would do the 850 remaining miles in one sitting, but my butt is not made of IRON. Not even close. So I'm gonna take two days. On I-40 there's not much to show, but I took a few pics, and have a few words.

When Dr. Greg ALMOST Went "Back to the Land..."

As I approached this exit in NW Arkansas, I was reminded of an episode from the mid-70s...

AR 23 leads up into the Ozark National Forest, and is a fun road. I took this exit in 1975...let me tell you the story...

My father (the legendary "Duke" Starr) ran a "Mom-and-Pop" grocery store in Valle Vista, CA; one of his customer buddies sold him 40 acres near Pettigrew, AR for $20 an acre! The guy was happy cuz he had bought it for $5/acre, so he made money. Well, Mrs. Greg and I were in a "back-to-the-land" phase, so my folks and us drove back to Arkansas to check out this 40 acres. Turns out it was on the south bank of Mulberry Creek, in the Boston Mountains, and was all hardwood forest. It was BEAUTIFUL! My nearest neighbor was 80-something farmer "Clero Mullins" who helped us find the property lines. Mrs. Greg & I were ready to drop out of grad school and move to the Arkansas Ozarks. Young neighbor Jerry Price (and wife Maryetta and daughter Eden) became lifelong friends.

Alas, it wasn't meant to happen. Long, sad, story which I'll not recount here. Too painful. Suffice it to say I've reconnected w/Jerry Price on the Internet, and he may yet again enter our lives.

So that's why this pic.

My Tie to Oklahoma...

As I entered Oklahoma, I felt compelled to document the event:

The reason being that my father (the aforementioned legendary "Duke" S.) is from Northeast Oklahoma. The family to which he belonged fell on hard times during the Dust Bowl years, and did exactly the "Grapes of Wrath" story...sold all their stuff, bought a car, and headed for California. After a couple years of near-starvation, they moved back to OK (figured they'd rather starve w/people they knew). Then WWII broke out and everybody went in the military...so that's my tie to Oklahoma.

My Standard 11:00 a.m. Downpour...

Just like coming thru Memphis, around 1100 hours the Heavens opened up again...

Not sure why I took two pictures, but I'll use 'em both. It rained HARD for about 30 minutes. Lots of lightning, and very much reduced visibility. Those storms are SCARY! Honestly, it seems like I haven't seen the SUN in a coon's age (and we New Mexicans are used to endless sunny days...this is hard to take!)

Ended up in Erick, Oklahoma

After covering a mere 450+ miles today, I snapped a pic of an interesting cloud formation not far east of Erick, Oklahoma (7 miles from the Texas Panhandle):

That's as far as I got. Tomorrow it's exactly 402.5 miles to home, so I'll get there. I'm sure there'll be something worthy of photographing...even if it's only my daily 1100 thunderstorm.

Cheers,

--Doc

PS. The Duc behaved just like a Duck today...loved the rain!
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #154
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Erick ok? Dang, if I was not in Dallas for OU - Texas I would have rode up and bought supper.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #155
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Erick ok? Dang, if I was not in Dallas for OU - Texas I would have rode up and bought supper.
How about a deal for next year?

--Doc

PS. Man, on the edge of the time zone like seems like the sun (if there is one) is never gonna come up...
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #156
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

I am home...

Got home a few hours ago. Update tomorrow. Thx to all who helped me out.

Cheers,

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #157
RickS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
How about a deal for next year?

--Doc

PS. Man, on the edge of the time zone like seems like the sun (if there is one) is never gonna come up...
Sounds like a deal. Tell me about the time zone deal---when I go to NM I wake up in what seems to be the middle of the night.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #158
alzyck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
U.S. Grant is interesting. He led the Union Army to victory in the Civil War when none of the other Union generals could. It's interesting because he failed at pretty much everything else he did in his life, both before and after the war, including being President.

Some people make a similar argument about Lincoln's life before the war. Ordinary at best.

Lincoln/Grant were two really flawed, ordinary people that came together to accomplish one extraordinary thing in their life at a huge cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Northern Commanders:

Well, Ulysses Grant we certainly know...
alzyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #159
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Good observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzyck View Post
U.S. Grant is interesting. He led the Union Army to victory in the Civil War when none of the other Union generals could. It's interesting because he failed at pretty much everything else he did in his life, both before and after the war, including being President.

Some people make a similar argument about Lincoln's life before the war. Ordinary at best.

Lincoln/Grant were two really flawed, ordinary people that came together to accomplish one extraordinary thing in their life at a huge cost.
Yes, very true. One thing that has surprised me in my Civil War reading is how UNPOPULAR Abraham Lincoln was during his term(s) in office.

Sigh...I guess it's only after we die that we have a chance of people liking us...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #160
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,621
Dr. Greg,

thanks for the great RR. Sorry your trip didn't end up bringing you to my part of Virginia, but I'm glad to see you had a good journey and a timely and safe arrival at home.

You're still welcome here any time.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #161
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Saturday 10/13: Erick, Oklahoma - Albuquerque, New Mexico (HOME!)

I arose this morning with unusual enthusiasm...I was gonna get HOME today! Been lookin' forward to this day for a while. Before I start on "today" there was actually kind of a pretty sunset last night...whaddya think?

Gloomy Weather Till the End...

Like I said, being near the edge of the time zone meant the sun didn't rise until rather late. When I walked out to the bike the first time I saw STARS!! It couldn't be clear, could it? Uh, noo...I snapped a pic of I-40...socked in as usual. It wasn't too cold, but I could smell rain in the air.

For a brief moment a little later I caught a glimpse (just a glimpse, mind you) of actual blue sky:

The blue sky quickly degenerated in a SCARY patch of FOG...FOG, mind you, in the Texas Panhandle! C'mon, you've gotta be kidding! I slowed way down and didn't hit anything...

As I approached the New Mexico border it began to clear up. Now I KNOW the nearest "mountain" range is hundreds of miles away; nevertheless this cloud bank looked EXACTLY like a fairly high mountain range. The pic doesn't really show it, but...

(BTW, I was unimpressed as usual by the Texas motto: "Drive Friendly--the Texas Way! Don't they know "Friendly" is an adjective, and this phrase is ungrammatical!? Sheesh. And we expect our young people to learn grammar correct.

New Mexico (and BLUE SKY!!)

As I entered New Mexico the skies were a welcome blue...

...uh, and the wind was a welcoming W blast at about 30 mph (typical on the Eastern NM and West TX plains). Remember the old saying: "...the only thing between Amarillo and the North Pole is a barbed wire fence?" It kinda felt like that today. But it was OK...I was headed HOME!

Dr. Greg & Milledue Safely Home...

So here we are:

I know that "modern" engines are pretty tight, but it always amazes me that the Testastretta 1198 uses absolutely NO oil. I had the 22,500-mile service done just before I left, and here's the oil level after 5,041 more miles (the length of this trip):

Didn't use a drop!

In conclusion, I'll be brief (I've "typed" a lot over the last 3 weeks, and I'm kinda beat). The thing I remember most about this trip is the PEOPLE I stayed with (you know who you are!) They were all WONDERFUL and I thank you again.

I'll be home for just a week, then the Dr. Greg Family (along with 3rd son Mark and new wife Zoe) are off to Pagosa Springs, Colorado for a week at a resort (might hook up for dinner with inmate Gale B.T. while there). Anyway, "bye" for now. Hope you enjoyed the trip...I sure did.

Cheers,

--Doc

PS. Gotta go to the UNM library next week and re-check out "Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson...best Civil War book I've read. The trilogies (Catton & Foote) are too much for me. Now that I've seen some of the country I'll enjoy re-reading BCoF.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #162
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,462
the Shelby Foote trilogy is really something else. after your trip, you should really read it.... pretty much from the confederate point of view though, which is interesting, as you know who ends up writing history......
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #163
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Well...I'm halfway through Foote's trilogy (i.e. midway thru v. 2)...took it with me on the iPad. Like Catton's trilogy, it was just too much. Too many names, too many places for my little old brain to absorb

Perhaps after I've re-read McPherson's book (which I found much more "readable" than either trilogy) I'll resume Foote.

Thanks for your comments.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
the Shelby Foote trilogy is really something else. after your trip, you should really read it.... pretty much from the confederate point of view though, which is interesting, as you know who ends up writing history......
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #164
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Enjoyed your report. I'm glad you're home safely.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #165
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Glad you made it back safe, and thanks for posting. Nice to see some miles put on these multistradas