ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
EdGear
Edventurer
 
EdGear's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
I currently have the ADV rear tank on my 990. I don't like how the brace flexes and the tank moves when I'm riding hard on the trails. The tank brace has rubbed on my swingarm a couple times and the tank itself has been rubbed by my tire a few times. I've considered having the brace reinforced but am thinking a better tank might be the way to go.
There is a simple solution to adding extra bracing to the ADV Tank, see
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=13
If you look a bit more BillyD made a nicer support.
__________________
Get out and ride
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - sold :(
2002 KTM 400/453 EXC
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
Todd34 OP
Toubab
 
Todd34's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dakar
Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
There is a simple solution to adding extra bracing to the ADV Tank, see
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=13
If you look a bit more BillyD made a nicer support.
Yeah, that is an option. I had heard of some guys having issues with the mounting bolts pulling out of the plastic on the ADV tank as well. I chose to go with CJ and what I consider a cleaner solution for me. CJ's tank is mounted to the exhaust mounts and I'm not worried about it taking the abuse.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Dr LC8
...soon or later
 
Dr LC8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Manchester...but from Rome!
Oddometer: 787
That is a great job!

Nic
__________________
Explore Alps Off Road: www.over2000riders.com
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2008 KTM LC8 ADV S
2010 KTM 400 EXC
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
Todd34 OP
Toubab
 
Todd34's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dakar
Oddometer: 804
I finally had a chance to get out and about with CJ's tank. It's good to go. Mine holds 1.8 gallons and I like that it attaches to the old exhaust canister mounts. The only thing I don't like is how the gas sight tube stretches. I cut off about 1/2" this weekend because it stretched and it looks like I need to do it again. I'll probably just plug the holes and be done with it.

Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
I finally had a chance to get out and about with CJ's tank. It's good to go. Mine holds 1.8 gallons and I like that it attaches to the old exhaust canister mounts. The only thing I don't like is how the gas sight tube stretches. I cut off about 1/2" this weekend because it stretched and it looks like I need to do it again. I'll probably just plug the holes and be done with it.

The Ethanol Added to the Fuel will do that. It will stop over time, as I have the same system on my Alum AWD tanks. Pull it tight, then cut it. I am testing some new line currently that is suppose to be better for this. But Ethanol is the problem and now they are talking about upping it to 15%- Wonderful.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
Todd34 OP
Toubab
 
Todd34's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dakar
Oddometer: 804
Thanks for the input CJ. At least now I know why it keeps stretching. I'll trim it again. I love the tank and had a lot of comments on it at the BWDR camp out this weekend.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 894
Cj...

... did you ever get a chance to find out if your tool tube/tank will work with Jesse racks?
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #23
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,937
Look at the top image on page 4.
http://www.jesseluggage.com/pdfs/O2_KTM_950_990.pdf

This bracket on the Jessie's looks to be higher and further rearward than the KTM bar set. Causing the our EXB or LST to hit the frame rail.

I know the older Jessie version rack system does not work b/c of this.

At this time I will not be making a Jessie version as it would require a new design.

We might be able to offer this but we would need:

- A local rider to come in with there bike with the most current Jessie System installed and have a 2-1 system installed or want us to put on a 2-1 system. - Please Email me if you are interested or have a contact you could pass along.

- I'd need to see interest for at least 10 riders that want an EXB or LST for the Jessie bike setup. - Email me to get on the list, and feel free to post interest here too.

This is what the KTM setup looks like to compare.





__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #24
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
I finally had a chance to get out and about with CJ's tank. It's good to go. Mine holds 1.8 gallons and I like that it attaches to the old exhaust canister mounts. The only thing I don't like is how the gas sight tube stretches. I cut off about 1/2" this weekend because it stretched and it looks like I need to do it again. I'll probably just plug the holes and be done with it.
How about some cable clamps that you can stick on with strong double-sided type? The tighter the tube hugs the tanks, the less likely it is to get torn off.


__________________
Proud member of the HUSABERG ADVENTURE TEAM!
12 690 Enduro-R, 12 Husaberg FE570, 09 KTM XC-F/ 450 RFS hybrid, 07 KTM 450 SMR, 09 BMW F650GS twin/F800GS hybrid, 03+05 YZF-R6
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
How about some cable clamps that you can stick on with strong double-sided type? The tighter the tube hugs the tanks, the less likely it is to get torn off.

I agree and they are not shipped out with the tubing that slack. It depends on what you are putting inside the tank that effects the tubing.

Those stays are very trick, but are made for a curved surface "Tube mounting" from what I can see.

I will get some stick on tubing holders and update the next batch built. I can send some of these out to current owners too. Please email me direct with shipping info and they will go out as soon as they arrive.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #26
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer
 
tahoeacr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lake Tahoe
Oddometer: 2,209
Nice tank CJ. I'm going to have to get one now. With that it should give me my goal of 400 mile range. That's 75 past my ability.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
sonoran
aint got time fo dat
 
sonoran's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Valle del Sol
Oddometer: 20,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
I finally had a chance to get out and about with CJ's tank. It's good to go. Mine holds 1.8 gallons and I like that it attaches to the old exhaust canister mounts. The only thing I don't like is how the gas sight tube stretches. I cut off about 1/2" this weekend because it stretched and it looks like I need to do it again. I'll probably just plug the holes and be done with it.

Curious as to the need for this tube?

Also I looked on the cjdesigns site and don't see this as orderable.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Todd34 OP
Toubab
 
Todd34's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dakar
Oddometer: 804
The tube is a way to see how much fuel is still in the tank. You don't have to have it there but it is cool to know how much fuel is still inside. The tank is good to go and I highly recommend it. It mounts better than the other options I've seen (and bought) and I like the way it looks as well. CJ makes some quality stuff. Send him an email and I'm sure he'll give you the scoop on buying the tank.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Ill, But I tell people NW IN.
Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Look at the top image on page 4.
http://www.jesseluggage.com/pdfs/O2_KTM_950_990.pdf

This bracket on the Jessie's looks to be higher and further rearward than the KTM bar set. Causing the our EXB or LST to hit the frame rail.

I know the older Jessie version rack system does not work b/c of this.

At this time I will not be making a Jessie version as it would require a new design.

We might be able to offer this but we would need:

- A local rider to come in with there bike with the most current Jessie System installed and have a 2-1 system installed or want us to put on a 2-1 system. - Please Email me if you are interested or have a contact you could pass along.

- I'd need to see interest for at least 10 riders that want an EXB or LST for the Jessie bike setup. - Email me to get on the list, and feel free to post interest here too.

This is what the KTM setup looks like to compare.




Hi Craig.

I have the new Jessie racks on my 990. I don't have a two in one though. If you can't find one more local I might be able to ride up to you again. It would be two weeks out at best.

If I ever find a job I would be up for a tank for sure.

Todd
__________________

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
sonoran
aint got time fo dat
 
sonoran's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Valle del Sol
Oddometer: 20,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
The tube is a way to see how much fuel is still in the tank. You don't have to have it there but it is cool to know how much fuel is still inside. The tank is good to go and I highly recommend it. It mounts better than the other options I've seen (and bought) and I like the way it looks as well. CJ makes some quality stuff. Send him an email and I'm sure he'll give you the scoop on buying the tank.
Thanks.

I'll call CJ.. want to be sure this tank will work with the Wolfman racks on my 990.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014