Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #31
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Shediac to Matane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Great seafood and hospitality. Interesting French/English dialect I couldn't quite make out.

Rode from Nova Scotia up thru beautiful New Brunswick two summers ago to Matane, Quebec.

Gotta get back to NB.

Plus, isnb't the famous Jimmie A from NB?

Ted in Chicago
That's a nice ride, along NB's North Shore from Shediac.

In Shediac what you heard spoken by many is French with a lot of English mixed in. They refer to it as Chiac.

There are a few famous New Brunswickers, Donald Sutherland is one you would all likely know, not sure about Jimmie A? Maybe I'm missing something.

Welcome aboard.

I'm waiting for a couple items to come in at my Kawasaki shop (Duguays Kawasaki in Amherst, NS, they are great!), spares for my trusty KLR, then I'll be packing up and hitting the road. Oh, and today I've got to renew my Drivers Licence and Registration otherwise they'll expire while I'm away. Seems there are so many small details to look after.

Kedgi (Dwight)
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #32
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149

Damn man.....what I'd give to load my new Versys and put some miles on her with a trip like this!!!
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #33
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
I am concerned!

Why is everyone so happy to see you leave? (That is, apart from those of us who ride!)
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
Kedgi OP
Banned

Laugh Amherst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolechalupa View Post
Damn man.....what I'd give to load my new Versys and put some miles on her with a trip like this!!!

Hey my bike's still at Duguays Kawasaki in Amherst, get packing and we'll meet there the day I pick it up.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #35
Kedgi OP
Banned

Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I am concerned!

Why is everyone so happy to see you leave? (That is, apart from those of us who ride!)
They all need a rest. I'm kinda hyper.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #36
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hey my bike's still at Duguays Kawasaki in Amherst, get packing and we'll meet there the day I pick it up.
....I can be there in 1.5 hours! Can you talk to my wife, and tell her I absolutely must leave for a few months??
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
Kedgi OP
Banned

It's not the leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigolechalupa View Post
....I can be there in 1.5 hours! Can you talk to my wife, and tell her I absolutely must leave for a few months??
I'm betting you could leave for the three or four months required, without my help. Now coming back.....that might be a different story,

Glad you'll be along for the ride.

Just talked to Duguays, bike's ready, just waiting on a part I ordered last minute. Weather forecast is not the best and still have some things I can do, so I'm thinking departure day is the 17th, long range forecast looks excellent then.

Kedgi
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #38
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Looks like a great trip. Judging by your yarn on the map it doesn't look like you will be hitting Louisiana but drop me a line (or yarn) if you head my way. I'll have at least a cold beverage for you if you do!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #39
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Thanks for the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
Looks like a great trip. Judging by your yarn on the map it doesn't look like you will be hitting Louisiana but drop me a line (or yarn) if you head my way. I'll have at least a cold beverage for you if you do!
Hey Moto-Ray thanks for the invite. One of the great things about my route planning is it's easily changed. Angele and I did a great trip back in 2008 in our Chevy Van pulling a small fibreglass trailer. We drove from Vancouver, down the West Coast, turned left as we neared Mexico, followed the USA/Mexico border all the way to South Padre Island Texas, then followed the Gulf Coast to Florida before heading north into Maine and eventually home to NB. We were on the road ten weeks. Awesome time together!

We passed through Louisianna on that trip. I remember one evening we were looking for a place to camp between Pt Arthur TX and Holly Beach, LA. I pulled into Holly Beach and was dumbstruck by the devastation Katrina had caused. The town was gone! We doubled back to a campground we had passed, it was dark by the time we got back and we pulled in. The owner was the kindest person we met on our trip. When she heard we had come from Vancouver and were headed to New Brunswick,(Canada's Acadian area where the Cajuns came from) the long way, she refused to accept any payment for the night. She explained she was thrilled to have tourists returning to the Gulf and said she had done well hosting workers who were living in her campground in trailers as they repaired a large oil refinery in Port Arthur. It stuck me that the person who had faced the most adversity was so generous to us. She was a great representative of Louisianna

I would love to pass through there again.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #40
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 164
Easy going guy from Shediac spinnin yarns on the Atlas....

IN!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #41
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RForestR View Post
Easy going guy from Shediac spinnin yarns on the Atlas....

IN!
Welcome aboard, looks like departure day is this Wednesday
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #42
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,863
Be safe! This should be a great RR!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #43
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulJED View Post
Be safe! This should be a great RR!
Thanks for following along.

I just got off the phone with the Kawasaki shop in Amherst, all the spares I ordered, cables etc are in. I think a Wednesday departure is going to work. It's cold here this morning 2C. Monday it's supposed to rain a bit but be 18C. I think I'll pick up the bike on Monday
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #44
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hey Moto-Ray thanks for the invite. One of the great things about my route planning is it's easily changed. Angele and I did a great trip back in 2008 in our Chevy Van pulling a small fibreglass trailer. We drove from Vancouver, down the West Coast, turned left as we neared Mexico, followed the USA/Mexico border all the way to South Padre Island Texas, then followed the Gulf Coast to Florida before heading north into Maine and eventually home to NB. We were on the road ten weeks. Awesome time together!

We passed through Louisianna on that trip. I remember one evening we were looking for a place to camp between Pt Arthur TX and Holly Beach, LA. I pulled into Holly Beach and was dumbstruck by the devastation Katrina had caused. The town was gone! We doubled back to a campground we had passed, it was dark by the time we got back and we pulled in. The owner was the kindest person we met on our trip. When she heard we had come from Vancouver and were headed to New Brunswick,(Canada's Acadian area where the Cajuns came from) the long way, she refused to accept any payment for the night. She explained she was thrilled to have tourists returning to the Gulf and said she had done well hosting workers who were living in her campground in trailers as they repaired a large oil refinery in Port Arthur. It stuck me that the person who had faced the most adversity was so generous to us. She was a great representative of Louisianna

I would love to pass through there again.
We would love to have you. I wasn't here when Katrina hit but it has improved a lot since then. That being said, I wouldn't go anywhere near the 9th ward!
Safe travels. I'll be following along.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #45
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
If you are in the Houston area and need anything (well almost!) - pm me. Rode my KLR through (and camped in) Amherst last month.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote