Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Forma Adventure Boots Info and Review

Forma Adventure Boots

Part 1: Construction: (long....)

Part 2: Field Comments:

We added the Forma Adventure boots to our line a while back. We know the Forma brand well, like the company, and really like this model. Forma is premium quality Italian brand, and the Adventures are comfortable, lightweight, wide, waterproof, and easy to walk in.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Adv...ots_p_788.html

The Adventures are aimed, obviously, at Adventure Touring and dual sport riding. They use an oil-tanned leather, a lugged sole, 3 buckle design, shifter pads on the toes, protective support inserts at the ankle, and a waterproof liner. They are lightweight (2.8 lbs for a size 46), and can be worn with or without MX style armor. They have a casual style, the closest we have seen to a hiking shoe yet:

Also available in brown. The one shown here is a test pair with plenty of miles on them:

Pic of the sole:

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 01:17 PM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,118
Concerning only protection... how do these compare to Alpinestars Scouts and Gaerne G-Midlands- how would you rank those three?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Forma Adventure Boots Review

The design of the Adventures is a good fit for ADV and DS riding. I have used a pair off and on over the last two years, and we have another pair out on an extended test. That pair is rotating between multiple riders, and was here in the office today.

These are well worn black Adventures in size 44. Since we had them here, we decided to perform a static waterproof test on them. So....

we filled a bucket with 3.5" if water:

Grabbed a weight (to offset buoyancy) and paper towels (to show any leakage):

Stuffed the paper towels into the toe and along the footbed, put the sledge on top, closed it up, and:

This is in about 4.5" of standing water, which is pretty high:

....and left them in there for ONE FULL HOUR.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

After an hour....

30 minutes in standing water is a long time. Additionally, because it is submerged, the water can soak the exterior shell, and find any pinholes of leaks in a waterproof liner.

We left these in for 62 minutes.

You can see the boots are soaked:

Pulled the paper towels out. Dry:

One from the toe area...dry.

Dry.

Dry.

Hard to see but interior....dry.

In our opinion, these passed the waterproof test. They already have between 500 and 1000 miles on them, but we sent them out with a 3rd person to get some additional miles on them. They are well liked by all so far. We will post up more later.

Thanks,

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Concerning only protection... how do these compare to Alpinestars Scouts and Gaerne G-Midlands- how would you rank those three?
Compared to the Forma Adventure, the Alpinestars Scouts and the Gaerne G-Midlands are similar in the ankle area for protection, but more rigid in the midsole area. Overall, those two are slightly - slightly - more toward the side of protection, but they are both also more cumbersome to walk in. In particular, the Scout quite a bit more clunky because of its PU-coated leather. The Adventures are quite a bit easier to walk in.

Additionally, the Adventures have the widest toebox of the three. The Midlands are in the middle, still normal. The Scouts are somewhat narrow, which is uncharacteristic for Alpinestars.

Forma Adventures: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Adv...ots_p_788.html

Scouts: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Alpinesta...oots_p_20.html
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pi1c_4zHGL4

Midlands: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_rEOrqoLsX8

Hope that helps!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,077
Brian, are these stiff enough in the arches for long stints while standing on the pegs? Will you be doing a thread on the Forma Capehorn boots as well?

edit: Oops, you answered my fitment questions while I was typing.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Hey Monte.

They have reasonable stiffness under the arch, and I have worn them on many full days. But the sole under the ball of your feet has a lot of flex.

Planning to do the Capehorns, and a bunch of light MX boots, shortly.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
samhain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
These are badass. I'll be picking up a pair soon.
samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hi Brian,
I have read your reviews on the Gaerne boots and am wondering how these compare to the Gaerne Adventures or Balance in terms of walkability and protection?

Thanks!
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Hi Brian,
I have read your reviews on the Gaerne boots and am wondering how these compare to the Gaerne Adventures or Balance in terms of walkability and protection?

Thanks!
Hello MushNB.

The GAERNE G-Adventures (Gaerne, NOT Forma Adventures) are well made, but quite a bit softer and less protective. They are very easy to walk in, but we feel the Gaerne G-Adventures are more of a touring boot, good for only very light off road use.

The Gaerne Balance and the FORMA Adventures are similar for walkability. But they get there two different ways...the Gaerne is softer at the ankle, the Forma softer at the midsole. Frankly, the Formas, with more ankle protection, are probably slightly more protective, and a more clever design for ADV and DS use.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
It certainly does help and thanks for the quick reply. I think that while all these boots would fit the bill for me, sounds like these Forma's might be the best option in terms of protection and walkability. I'll be in touch in a few months when I am ready to make a purchase! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hello MushNB.

The GAERNE G-Adventures (Gaerne, NOT Forma Adventures) are well made, but quite a bit softer and less protective. They are very easy to walk in, but we feel the Gaerne G-Adventures are more of a touring boot, good for only very light off road use.

The Gaerne Balance and the FORMA Adventures are similar for walkability. But they get there two different ways...the Gaerne is softer at the ankle, the Forma softer at the midsole. Frankly, the Formas, with more ankle protection, are probably slightly more protective, and a more clever design for ADV and DS use.

Hope that helps.

BP
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
walterj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I'm dragging this back from the grave - but do the Forma Adventure boots work equally as well as touring boots that see dirt/fire roads and lousy weather but not true off-road?

As in... a 3 season, walk around camp, ride 500 miles in the rain, hit some dirt fire/power line roads to get to the top of the mountain kind of boots?

I like the idea of extra protection, the waterproof test above is awesome and they look good but... they are marketed directly at the DS/off road crowd. Is that because they would be cumbersome or too hot for all-purpose use, etc?
walterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Looking for a replacement to my Sidi Adventure Rain boots....which leak bad.
The other thing is the Sidi's are stiff even after several season of use.

I'd like something a bit more supple to walk in.....they seem to pass the waterproof test.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
walterj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
In a masterful stroke of google-fu I managed to answer my own question with this list of threads from this forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560146

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831859

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797438

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861502

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726201

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809647

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831725

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707710

And FWIW, the answer seems (at least for me) to be yes.
walterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterj View Post
I'm dragging this back from the grave - but do the Forma Adventure boots work equally as well as touring boots that see dirt/fire roads and lousy weather but not true off-road?

As in... a 3 season, walk around camp, ride 500 miles in the rain, hit some dirt fire/power line roads to get to the top of the mountain kind of boots?

I like the idea of extra protection, the waterproof test above is awesome and they look good but... they are marketed directly at the DS/off road crowd. Is that because they would be cumbersome or too hot for all-purpose use, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I'd like to know the answer to that as well....
Your question is tricky to answer, I need to break it down into two parts.

First, generally speaking, I think Adventure boots work better for touring use than most touring boots. Touring boots tend to use softer leather, narrow bonded soles, and zipper closures (which I do not care for, they offer little clamping force). Conversely, ADV boots have wide heels and soles, buckles (and velcro sometimes) and sturdier construction. These attributes are better for general use in the same ways hiking boots are better than dress shoes: more substance, and materials chosen for function rather than looks.

Depending on the design and how well executed it is, they are sometimes a little more bulky. This is inconvenient, but that inconvenience is a worthwhile tradeoff for how much better they distribute weight, their stability when walking on uneven ground, etc. There are variances model to model, but basically if you are asking the question in a functional context, I feel ADV boots are better as footwear, AND as boots, than touring boots.

Secondly, to answer your question more specifically, a point you made needs to be highlighted. Yes, ADV boots work well when used for non-true offroad use. But....if you are riding powerlines, which are generally pretty rough, you ARE doing true off road riding. The footwear needs of true off road riding are at odds with the convenience and comfort you are seeking. You need to either accept the risk of this, or give up some of the convenience and comfort you are looking for. Basically, weigh protection vs comfort and decide what balance works for you.

If we exclude true, rough terrain offroad riding, the Forma Adventures are one of the best choices available. There are ADV boots with more protection (Siding Adventure, Alps Toucan) but those are far less walkable. The Gaerne Balance Oiled is more comfortable, though not by much, yet has less protection. The Adventures, which feel a lot like a hiking boot, exist in a sweet spot in the category.

AFA drawbacks, the toebox is a little bulky, both externally and internally. I wish it were a welt sole, but actually the bonded sole is what gives it the feel of a hiking boot. Reliability on them has been fantastic, almost zero issues.

To summarize, for anything other than true offroad use, they are a great choice, one of the best in the category.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 09-17-2014 at 02:42 PM