User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,344
Laugh Are you a dough maker????

So after the beak have been protected...... It is time to share another little trade secret.....( not sure how many I still have....)..... You gotta ask yourself, if you are the dough making type..... My little brother in Denmark would be spitting out his beer reading this, as that could be referring to something else..... But we will leave that for another day. You can buy epoxy dough, but it is rather expensive. So here is another trade secret..... Still have a few left........ Grap whatever you have..... in this case plaster..... or gypsum.....you can even use flour...... I know this as a fact..........

Then mix your epoxy....and then just add the powder a little at a time....... just before your stir stick breaks.... pour it on a sheet of plastic on the table, and pretend you are making a loaf of bread..... When it is almost sticking to your hand upside down....it's ready.
">

Then you just sculpt up what you need...... If you did not put enough powder in it....it will sag a little, Just to be safe.... I braced the mix.....

This will then sit until tomorrow, when the shaping takes place.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #77
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
I find it amazing that you are willing to share your secrets with us. I probably will never make anything like the things that you do, but I love reading your articles about how this is done

Thank you
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #78
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDinNH View Post
I find it amazing that you are willing to share your secrets with us. I probably will never make anything like the things that you do, but I love reading your articles about how this is done

Thank you
It is my pleasure Steve. I enjoy seeing others benefit from them..... I have been keeping the dough making technique for a while......and this was a good time to share it....

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #79
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh Back in the shop.... ( garage...)

Sooooo... after a few days in the sofa sick..... I am back at it..... As with any project you do, regardless of nature, you try to evaluate how things are..... Hopefully.... As projects get more difficult, those steps becomes important, as they will become a detriment to success when you wonder down the long road, only to find that its a dead end. So stages me amigo's......Stages. Where they are....is pretty much up to you. I reached one of those today, where I had to take a hard look at this to see if I really wanted to mess up those "beak" lines. I have been a skeptic since the get go, on this project, but today I have determined that this is worth of the next step. I will compare this with a proof of concept stage.....and perhaps then some. Slowly it is morphing into something I can use. Mind you the silica that I used to make the epoxy paste, is really great in slowing down the dremel.....saw....file, so you don't have any accidents..... Bad thing..... It does just that... So patience.....

Double vacuum setup......check.....Mask.....check...... go.

Lunch.....

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #80
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Before you spit out the espresso...... I will say this: The color difference makes it jump out........ a whole lot.

This is the rough proof of concept, that will also serve as a plug to lay the fabric for the mould. The plug now will undergo some smoothing out, so the fabric will conform better, and then the final shape really will depend on the cast. One thing is how I would like it to be, and another is how the fabric wants it to be......... Rarely do we agree. Since this will be a mould piece with possible reproductions, there will be no vacuum bagging. At this stage, I feel that this will look good to me as a one piece CF........Did I say lunch........

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #81
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sanded smooth...... corners adjusted....... Mold release applied...... Amazing what a few adjustments can do....

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #82
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

One layer of resin.....

Second layer of resin..... This will ensure a smooth....auto level of the planform, taking out hrs. of sanding, thus the mold will be laid on top of this......

Until Tomorrow.....

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #83
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Erling,

Just make the rally fairing please ;-)
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #84
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Looking good. I like this better than the extension
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #85
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Erling,

Just make the rally fairing please ;-)
..... I will..... Just one thing at a time. My current front faring is awesome......Open visor until 70 mph, and riding season is kicking in here in the desert, so I really want to tackle this, along with the dual brake line mod.....and.....uhhmmmm.... Can you say ....The first MX Fork Sliders for the 8GS...... Goodie Goodie.

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #86
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDinNH View Post
Looking good. I like this better than the extension
By far me to. I have kept the same with, (although it appears wider, it is the same with as the stock) and lines as well. I think it looks a little awkward still, but after sitting watching it for a while, it became apparent that you tend to focus on the now brighter beak. Should look good in all Carbon. It'l go on anyway, so I can ditch the low fender.

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #87
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Going to beat me to the fork guards ehh? Haha no worries, I am going to try and merge the UFO uppers to the BMW lower bolt pattern. Will see if it works or not.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #88
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Going to beat me to the fork guards ehh? Haha no worries, I am going to try and merge the UFO uppers to the BMW lower bolt pattern. Will see if it works or not.
Properly not........ Or at least I don't think so, as I will need to spend some time on this plug, then mould, the first cast for the bike. I still don't have brake lines, but a very capable local hydraulic hose maker, who did the front brake extensions for the Rox Risers.....are ready when I am. I am really exited to see how the CF beak tip/USD sliders will compliment each other....... He he...

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #89
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Heat gun works on many plastics. As simple as the BMW guards are, you could most likely make a Aluminum jig for the lower pattern, and then just heat the UFO's with a heat gun.....

Erling
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #90
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Heat gun works on many plastics. As simple as the BMW guards are, you could most likely make a Aluminum jig for the lower pattern, and then just heat the UFO's with a heat gun.....
I am not the master of plastics but wouldn't that essentially degrade the integrity? Or are you suggesting I make the pattern then use that to fab the carbon fiber ones.... Hmm