Interesting new tire tool.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Stumpalump, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I'm up for that. How many people are in now?
  2. Anders288

Anders288 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in one if the price is good
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    a couple thoughts:

We will have to pay shipping from there to here, and then from me (or whoever) to each of you. It looks like the guys on CH ordered 34 plus a few adapters and I saw $300 mentioned for shipping. I don't know if this was all of the shipping or just the shipping to the states. I don't do this for a living but my neighbor has a UPS account which I might be able to use. Maybe someone could chime in on the actual dimensions of the unit, and I could get a better idea what it would cost to ship to each of you. I'd need boxes for each one, unless they come individually boxed. I'd be nervous about using USPS due to inaccuracies in tracking (no offense to anyone associated with the USPS). So maybe someone who is registered on CH could clarify what the shipping was to the US.

It looks like there were some guys on CH who lost out on the group buy, maybe post up over there and see if anyone would like to maybe hook up with us.

If I were to do this, it would take me a couple days to get them all shipped out. My day starts pretty early and I get home late, but I might be able to get my office staff to help out when things are slower. So it might be a week before they were all on their way to you FF's. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but if you're like me you want things "yesterday" and you would need to be a tiny bit patient on this deal LOL.

I think with something like this, you have to realize that whoever does the group buy isn't responsible if you're not 110% satisfied with the product. I've seen the video that you have, and read the comments on CH. I have no intimate knowledge of this device. I have a regular tire machine but am looking for something like this for traveling. Obviously it's not something I will carry on the bike, so I plan to keep my irons / spoons. I'm gonna order one whether we do a group buy or not. But just remember you're buying a pig in a poke.

I think we need more than the 20-25 since some guys might bail after we firm up the costs. With the currency conversion, I may not know exactly what they cost until I (or whoever) get the VISA bill. I'm leaving Thursday on the bike for the mountains, but I'll be able to keep the list updated for the 2 weeks I'm gone.

PMR out...
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    PMR, just FYI. My unit came in the original packaging from the vendor, which is the box you see on the video of the tire mounting. So, I am going to make a guess that the CH group buy (of which I was a participant) received 34 boxes, each containing one tire tool. Kelly of Motosportz, who handled the CH group buy, put a shipping label on each box and sent them to us directly without needing to repackage. I hope this information proves useful.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Any chance you could give me the dimensions of the box and an approximate weight?
  6. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will just throw in my two bits here. I found this tool accidentally on Ebay back in July or August and thought it might be good to use with my Tubliss setup. I talked to Jeff over there, he concured, ordered one and then let me know that there was just one left (on Ebay). This kicked it off. I got my tool several months ago now and immediately changed four tires on my two trail bikes. No, it doesn't remove the tire and you have to use irons for that, but the tire has already been stretched a bit and comes off fairly easy. Putting new tires on is really easy, you only have to hold one side down in the rim. I just tie it off. The end of the curved arm just stretches the bead straight out and the bead tension pulls it down into the rim. Slick! No worry about pinching a tube, or destroying the Tubliss system. That's what I was looking for. It works just like on the video and I would be surprised if anyone spending the money for this item isn't satisfied, even though I know that you can't ever please everyone! This should come close.
  7. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Ah, no. I didn't keep the box. The tool went into my tool chest. I'd venture a guess that the total weight of the tool components is about 2 - 3 lb.
  8. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Thanks...I've been waiting for one of the other guys making something similar to offer it on a larger scale as at least one person was selling it for about half of this vendor's asking. It's just not a $100 tool to *me*. At $50 or so I'd buy one to throw in the box.
  9. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    A question for those who have used the tool. What are it's smallest dimensions when it's broken down? Is this something you could carry on a your dual sport bike?
  10. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    Count me in. I missed out on the group buy on CafeHusky.

Jeff
  11. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Will this tool break the bead on a KTM 990?
  12. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I believe it's strictly for mounting, you'd be stuck with whatever bead breaker technique you're using now.
  13. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    you can put me down for one as well, looks pretty slick

Dave
  14. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo; you can draw your own conclusions.

[​IMG]
  15. cobrags

cobrags Lost ADVR

Oddometer:
    Put me down for 1 also.
  16. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Current "in" list is post 49. If its wrong, just LMK. I only added FF's if they said the "in" word or "I want one too.". Others said they were interested but I did not add them to the list yet. This will be a "no pressure" group deal, but I won't order one for a person unless they've promised to pay for it - we can work the details out as we get closer. And I'm open to ANY suggestions!
  17. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    My post way back may have been a little ambiguous - yes, confirming I'm in.

49 -- $$$ , maybe a list of folks willing to pre-pay a deposit to ease the load.
    I say deposit because we won't know the exact cost until the deal is done.
    Downside - it complicates the book keeping.
    I'll front my tool cost.

Bokrijder
  18. cobrags

cobrags Lost ADVR

Oddometer:
    I'm confirming "in" also and willing to pay in full also. Can PayPal be method of payment?
  19. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I've got both you guys on the list. If we get ready to place an order, I'll double check with everyone on the list and confirm, also get a regular email addy (as I can't always access ADV) and let you know, as far as I can tell, what the total cost will be. You are welcome to bail at that time. Once I place the order (how did I get involved with this?) I'll have a few weeks before my VISA bill falls and is due, so I would take payments then and I'm hoping everyone is square with me by the time the tools arrive in Florida, and I'll ship them out. I really don't want anybody's $ yet as I haven't even spoke with the seller. Once I have a number to order I'll call him.

PMR
  20. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I am definitely in.

I don't keep credit cards (long story, involving ex-wives), I can pay via PayPal gift or shoot you a money order, or personal check if you prefer.