Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Rumor has it next weekend it will be $99 again.. (thats what the local CG guy told me)

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Straightedge
Skin Donor

Oddometer: 32
I was just at my local Cycle Gear for some gloves and saw this helmet. Flip-down visor! I tried on my normal large and found I needed an XXL. It fit well on my round head and felt comparable to the AFX 39 I tried on at another bike store. It's $199.00 now (Louisville, KY) and will be on sale for $100.00 in the next week or so. Also a customer service guy tried one on at the same time with goggles. We found the windscreen flexed enough to allow the goggle strap to fit under it, and it still seemed to seal down as well. The windscreen did not touch the goggle strap when it is up.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller
Straightedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #18
ntm1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Looks just like the Sparks Nexus dual sport helmet with the addition of a tinted visor. I tried one on at cycle gear today and it felt like a quality product but I didn't see a SNELL sticker, only DOT. I'm not sure if that should matter I would feel more comfortable if it had both certs.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
I see this helmet is on sell for $99. I am pretty seriously thinking of buying on as I like the tinted visor. My eyes are very sensitive to bright lightand with winter coming along the sun is alot lower in the sky for a much longer amount of time. How are the sizes compared to say, the AFX39??
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #20
Irishman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I just stopped in Cycle Gear last night on my way back fromt he hardware store on the TW200. I tried this helmet on and a Medium fit pretty tight, but the large fit well. He said they were still $199 until Thursday, and then he could sell me one for $99. It looks to be as good quality as the FX-39 I tried on at the little store in Tellico Plains a few weeks ago. I was going to buy the FX-39, but now I'm leaning towards the Bilt. It's a nice helmet, at least on my initial assesment.

I'll have a better review after next week. I am planning my first off-road adventure since I was a teenager. We are riding from Sylacuga to Mt. Cheaha on the Skyway motorway.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
website shows $99...wonder why the price difference between in store and online....

anyone else looking to pull the trigger on this???

i was really planning on the AFX or MSR for about the same price, but this looks pretty nice as well....except its bilt, and normally im not a brand type of guy, im having a hard time with this being a bilt product, anyone wanna set me straight?
sgmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,790
It looks good, and I like the price even better. Do these also come with the standard 5yr warranty??
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmartz View Post
website shows $99...wonder why the price difference between in store and online....

i was really planning on the AFX or MSR for about the same price, but this looks pretty nice as well....except its bilt, and normally im not a brand type of guy, im having a hard time with this being a bilt product, anyone wanna set me straight?
I don't really because I have only purchased lo end stuff (cheap summer gloves) and had hit and miss luck. That said I took my XD-3 in and compared them. Obviously it's not a $600 helmet, but:

PROS:
the padding was pretty good.
Internal sun visor is a big plus
the visor/screen had no distortion and snugged down pretty tight.
the mouth guard section of the helmet wasn't as far away as an MX helmet (which I like)
overall quality was middle
it fit my head pretty well
the white is more pearl than bright white so you don't look like a stormtrooper.

CONS:
the peak/bill is not adjustable but it's only 1/2 inch or so higher than my XD
the visor doesn't have a little tab or handle to move it up and down (I will add one if I buy the helmet).
unknown build quality given it's a BILT
the peak has a BILT logo (it can easily be covered with a cooler sticker if that bugs you.)

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
G19Tony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
It looks good, and I like the price even better. Do these also come with the standard 5yr warranty??
Yes it does.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmartz View Post

I am looking at buying one in a week or so. I have to order it tho. Have you tried on the AFX or MSR? I have an AFX and a Trekker in large. I am trying to sell both right now. Both are like new! I am sure the Bilt is no wosre than the AFX, MSR, Trekker
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
bgt595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Bilt Explorer Helmet review

[QUOTE=sgmartz;19830277]website shows $99...wonder why the price difference between in store and online....

I picked one of these up today....... First of this is my first foray into a more "dirt" oriented helmet. I do take my Tiger on gravel and the occasional more off the beaten path, so I feel the style fits the need. With the price being so appealing I had no choice but to give it a shot.

I strolled into my local CG store in Portland and they had the helmets stacked right as I entered the store seeing the off white one in the sunlight showed I didn't want to look like a Stormtrooper and the flat black doesn't appeal to me either.......I guess the silver will do....Good cause it looked the best.

Trying em one going to my normal large size first......NO WAY! would barely clear my forehead. XL next, made it onto my cranium, but with a brutal amount of pressure and there was limited chance I would be able to get my glasses on either. XXL it is then, the XXL fit really well with no pressure points and the glasses fit too.

This is also my first helmet with an internal drop down tinted shield, I dont know why I waited so long......the view was not distorted or lessened and its real conveinient since I work the graveyard shift and swapping shields is a bitch.

The clear visor is stout and fits very well into the apperature of the helmet. No distortion at all and not having a pull/push tab to open or close the helmet isn't needed since it has an abrupt angle on the lower edge (at least in my case) to help with closing the sheild.

The helmet visor itself is great for blocking the errant sun that does break through from time to time and it seems to help with the falling rain while sitting at stoplights (as I found out today). I'll have to see how this works with the windshield on the Tiger.

The look of the helmet overall seems pretty great. The paint is smooth and clean and the fit and finish of the lining seems pretty good although I normally like more padding in my helmets, but it feels pretty solidly built and comfortable. Obviously the weather around Portland won't allow for a very long season to test this helmet much more, but so far I am quite impressed with the Explorer by Bilt and at an almost steal for $99.00 and with a 5 year warranty.

Surprisingly
bgt595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer

i also bought myself one last night, i mean at $100 its a pretty good deal id think....

trim/padding were all great for the price, obviously no arai/shoei, but id say as good as or better than the AFX/FLY/MSR...

to confirm, it is the exact same helmet as the Sparx Nexxus and the Speed and Strength

the added tinted visor is great, very robo-cop in its operation but i love the idea of having it, especially for the dual sport crowd where you can have rapidly changing conditions, id love to see arai/shoei integrate this into theirs, maybe id be more willing to spend top dollar....

also with the non-ratching shield, i actually really like it, it seems to have a lot of friction so it just stays whereever you put it, i havent ride tested it yet, but so far im stoked on it...

if i were to give bilt suggestions....

more/better vents, the ones on it seem pretty meh
cutouts for BT/speakers
more easily removable peak
snell certification

another i noticed too, bilt/cycle gear doesn't advertise this helmet as ECE22.05 rated, however it is the same helmet as the Speed and Strength version, which is ECE22.05 rated....so maybe bilt didnt obtain the official cert. for use in europe, id assume that it would pass the ECE testing requirements...

ill post some pictures tonight and maybe do an official review
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
The BILT Helmet is made by a company called MHR helmets. MHR works at the entry level price points but does a fairly good job.

The Bilt is the same shell as the Sparx. However, I got a look at one recently, and noticed what I - personal opinion here - feel is a very important detail.

The helmet is the same shell as the Sparx Nexus, which is a helmet I feel is quite good. However, to incorporate the flip-down shield into a "normal" shell, a huge part of the thickness of the EPS liner in the front has been removed. This is how they added the flip-down shield....by reducing the thickness of the energy absorbing EPS liner material, to create space for the visor to be stored in.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:51 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
sgmartz
Gnarly Adventurer

ill sell you mine for $100
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #30
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
BP, thanks for looking into this.. we understand you're by no means an "expert", but as someone who works around moto gear, we look forward to your inspection of the EPS liner.. This is the one comment that I've heard about other helmets with a retractable sun shade; some helmet makers compromise EPS thickness to accomodate the sun visor.