Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Another pic in the canyon!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #5612
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;19790730]Thanks, Tom (I think ) I fully admit that I run all our shots through Lightroom and tweak them.

Doc,
No criticism implied . I love your reports.

I take pictures from time to time on my trips, but the results are sooo lackluster and it takes so much effort that I've largely given up trying.

Because of this, I realize how hard you work to make these presentations. It's a full time job on top of your full time job.

Thanks and keep on truckin'!!
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5613
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Doc,
I'm curious about this map? It appears to be Basecamp, but the relief (topo?) is much nicer than I've seen, even when looking at Garmin's topo's. How'd you do this, if you don't mind me asking.

And of course i want to offer a warm THANKS for all of the good stuff these RR's are bringing us! The mix of envy and pleasure feels good.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #5614
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Easy peasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Doc,
I'm curious about this map? It appears to be Basecamp, but the relief (topo?) is much nicer than I've seen, even when looking at Garmin's topo's. How'd you do this, if you don't mind me asking.
it's just a screenshot of Basecamp with the Topo 24K map and the detail dialed down so all the topo lines aren't drawn. Sometimes I'll use the Topo 2008. CNNA doesn't show the elevations as nicely.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #5615
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,034
I was surprised by that canyonin 5612, and remember it well. Beautiful place. But a bigger surprise was that it's posted private property throughout, with the road being a public right of way I suppose. What a great place to camp it would've been ...

byways screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 06:38 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #5616
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Pre setup camp.....Sunset!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #5617
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,034
Yeah, Dingweed kept trying to play romantic cowboy, walkin' into the sunset 'n all. Kept going the wrong way, tho ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #5618
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Great Tutorial

After a couple of months, i'm now caught up to the last post. What a GREAT ride report and turtorial this is. From the routing, the photography, the GPS info, And now that a bunch of other All Stars have joined. WOW.

I've learned more here than i ever could have on my own or even with a few of my friends.

ROUTING: Google Earth, TOPO 24k.

GPS: Basecamp, Map overlays, tracks, Garmin Montana,etc.

PHOTOS: HDR,etc.

One of the best RR's.

Back to lurking. :-)
Randy
ps, when are you coming to Texas?

back2thefuture screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 07:26 PM
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #5619
Mannen
n00b

Oddometer: 7
It's a blessing here in Sweden with the "Allmansright" in our Constituition, everyone has this right, as quoted and translated with Google Translate to eng. below.
"Everyone should have access to nature according to roam."
"Everyone who uses roam or otherwise spend time in nature must show consideration and caution in their relations with nature."
With the right follow the requirements of consideration and care towards nature and wildlife, with landowners and other people.
This is a freedom I think everyone should have, it feels strange when you describe all the twists and turns you have to make finding the road blocked with a sign.
Maybe the Anti-HassleTassel power could be developed some to take care of this nuisance, right!!
Mannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #5620
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 3: Monday, Sept. 10, 2012

Woke up early today to thick wildfire smoke. Overnight there was some lightning and sprinkles. A few of us got out of the tents at various times just to make sure there weren't any fires closeby.

Today's route would highlight the "Hazed & Confused" theme. The skies were thick from before sun up. The route would take us west back into Helena NF, then northeast to fuel up at White Sulphur Springs, MT, west again crossing Helena NF, and finally north and east again through a very confusingly posted and gated area -- not the first, nor the worst of the trip, however.

Just to pick up where we left off -- Sunset:

Sunrise:

We were actually up before the sun -- Scott and Scott were troubleshooting the GPS mount,

Tony was checking maps to figure out when he'd break off to head home,

Mark was busy making coffee,

Francine was just happy to be on vacation, and not dismembered by wolves, mountain lions, bears, or angry ranchers,... or on fire.

And I was taking pitchers.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #5621
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though there was haze all around,

directly above the sky appeared clear,

With the sun fully up,

we were a bit concerned that we'd be caught somewhere that someone didn't think we should be, so once we were properly caffeinated,

We broke down camp, and had a quick Mobius graduation ceremony for Tony,

and cleared out of the campsite which you can see in the center of the shot below... I'm not sure what the hold-up was?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #5622
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back on a proper

and legal road, (Sixteen Mile rd)

We crossed some ranch land,

crested a ridge with a view of some distant cliffs,

and then dropped down to cross Battle Creek (dry),

Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #5623
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Shaw road

Marked as legal on the maps, and labeled on the GPS had no gate, but this sign at the two-track turn-off:

I followed it half a mile or so, where it hit a locked gate where it crossed into the NF boundary.

We pulled out the paper maps, and scouted a couple options -- the first didn't exist, and the second looked like this:

It passed a historic ranch the name of which is on the Benchmark maps which I don't have at work:

It was a nice little climb that hooked up with our plotted route on Ridge Rd, and didn't put us too far out of the way. If I'd have known it was such a nice little connector I'd have routed us that way in the first place.

Ridge Rd was on a ridge as advertised:

But far too soon, we were...

Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #5624
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,663
I'm Back

I'm Back----------been down in Ky.. Tenn., Mississippi, Ark., and Missouri for a bit of fall colors------just got home yesterday.

So hey everybody----Hi Dr. Rock---I'm ready to join in breaking camp at camp "Power".

sun has risen----we didn't get drenched in the little drizzle last night ------we all made breakfast in our own little way.
Even tho Dr.Rock fed us lot in the evenings with some good stuff---we all were on our own for breakfast.
Me and Scott usually ate oatmeal and coffee made with out Jet-Boil stoves---maybe a Mountain House breakfast meal.

We headed out early as usual and the rolling fields made a beautiful view---and the still low sun made some nice shadows.

My tassels would keep me safe today----and I would always use them for good------not evil.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #5625
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,663
Today we would ride some pretty technical stuff----maybe not for an all out unladed dirt bike----but for us campers.

It was sometime before now that Dr. Rock let me out front for pretty much the rest of the ride.
I was dunbfounded at first---as since he laid this all out I just assumed he and Francine would lead.
He loved draggin up the rear and taking pictures and soaking it all in. I think he quickly learned he could trust me out there with the navigation
and I would stop and gather everybody up once in awhile---and if there was a question with routing---- I would stop to work a
re-route out----which was always figured out very quickly between me and him.
And sometimes while I was out front----------if I wanted too--------I could run as fast as I wanted.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote