Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #91
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Well here we are in Antigua, this town was actually the 2nd capital city of Guatemala but with the volcanic activity it drove the Spaniards to move it to Guatemala city.

start with the hotel again, Hotel San Vicente, we're paying 160Q for a double room, little small but the hotel is extremely nice and handy to everything in Antigua

the hallway in front of our room

we can use the sink in the back to do our laundry which is lucky

One place here that I had read about before was the Moto Cafe where the bikers kind of hung out so off we go, this is the official name of the place

met Dave the owner and Dave from Quebec who has guided the bike tours for the last 7 months

there were many laughs with the beers

but Dave has never had a guest book before so I shamed him into starting one

but Dave is not just a good time Charlie, he's a dedicated businessman, here he is sending off a customer with vague directions and even vaguer warnings

but actually Dave has a good handle on who can do what and he hooked me up with a mechanic who could straighten the dent out of my rim, I was loosing about 5 psi a day because I hit a tope I never saw until the last moment and dented the edge of the rim

and here's the guys who fixed it, they came to the hotel took off the wheel, fixed it and installed it the next day for 300Q

wandering through the town I managed to get some pretty good shots, here's the one that just about the whole world knows Antigua by, the Archo

here's a shot of a typical family where the mother has to go out and sell her merchandise, you have to be careful getting this type of shot because the majority don't want their pictures taken

there's plenty of motorcycles in Antigua now something the government is aware of, when you see this sign on the sidewalk it means that from the sign to the corner is strictly motorcycle parking and they're on every corner

here's some of the bikes parked there

and beauty is in the eye of the beholder

of course their not all Ducati's

some random shots I got through the town
window decorations

I was a hair fast on the shutter on this one

an old door in a church destroyed by earthquake in the 1700's

I went over to the chickenbus area to get some pictures of the colours the owners paint their buses

another window picture because I liked it

booby fountain in the centro

artisan market which is loaded with great folk art

basement in one of the old churches, this one was taken by Ed

and of course food-food, food wonderful food, this one I waited to take the picture

but here's one more to Boogers taste, a really nice Irish stew

now Ed and I have decided that to save a little money we'll have breakfast in our room, so here we have granola and just a ton of yogurt to keep our internal workings on an even keel

now this may seem like a strange place to put a picture of a fountain but this was in the courtyard of one of the restaurants right beside where we were sitting eating lunch

and the last one is for my wife, the hotel where we stayed the last time we were here is now closed and they're is a small hardware shop there now

Tomorrow: we cross another national boundry
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #92
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Outstanding!

Really loving this RR. Thanks for taking the time to put forth such a great work. Can't wait for the rest Stay safe and have an awesome time!
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #93
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,827

Keep it coming, Phil!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #94
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 689
Nice ...

YK
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #95
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Thanks...looking forward to more!!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #96
Ruan
Adventurer to be

Oddometer: 78
Excelent . Im in

Portugal to Andorra in 1984
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817041
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #97
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
that irish stew looked good - looked alot like the bowl I had at the Auld Triangle Pub in Halifax last week.

mmmmm stew...

slow down for those topes - a friend of mine who basically did your trip in an 81 aircooled westfalia got hung up on one for about 4 hours one day. had to get pulled off of it by a guy with a donkey, who may or may not have been Juan Valdez

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #98
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 41,394
Looking Good Phllip ... Living the dream
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #99
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 689
Hey, Wake up ...

The rest of us are freezing our butts off in this miserable weather up North, so while we are sitting inside it would be nice if you could get off your butt and give us low lifes an update ...

Please...

YK
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #100
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Well, where was I, it's been so long since I added to the report I forget where I've been. The pace has been really hectic since Ed and I were booked on the sailing ship Stahlratte from Panama to Colombia and had to be there 11 Oct to load. On average we rode from 0800 to about 1800 just before it got dark, we lost a minimum of half a day and a maximum of 6hrs at every border crossing, the worst being Panama. The Migration side was always very quick just requiring a stamp in the passport the rest of the time was spent clearing the bikes into the countries

clearing out of Guatemala into El Salvador when a couple from Quebec rode up, Jean and Chantel

we talked with them for awhile and then parted company, we stopped at a small surfer hotel along the coast, it was cheap and really primitive but the owner had a very large supply of beer for sale. It was really crude but we had a pleasant evening talking to the owner and his extended family who had shown up for a barbeque and swim. This was where I discovered my camera which I thought I had rescued was stsrting to pack it in refusing to focus at night

the next day we had crossed El Salvador and while clearing out through customs up rides Jean, Chantel and a new rider Peter, it turns out we're all trying to make the Stahlratte on the same day

clearing out of El Salvador

next up the dreaded Hondura's customs and immigration which has a well deserved reputation for running you around in small circles doing absolutely useless tasks, the cost for importing your bike, payable only in Honduran money was $35.00. I mention Honduran money because if you don't have any and your paperwork drags on until the end of the day you will have found the bank closes an hour before the Aduana and there you are in a really tough Honduran town for the night. We we're lucky getting in to the bank about 1/2 an hour before it closes

found ourselves breaking the cardinal rule about never riding at night and pulled into Hotel Paradise, Chouteca Honduras

have a very poor connection right now so will post this
Old 10-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #101
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

When we left the hotel the next morning we stopped at a little variety store to grab something to eat, I think the cardinal rule of motorcycling is you have to start the day with a little drama, here's Peter doing his best to help in that direction

The day after clearing into Honduras we found ourselves clearing out the other side, it took longer to do the paperwork to enter and leave the country than it took hours to ride across the country

when clearing into Nicauraga your required to purchase insurance

we decided to take a smaller road from the border because we wanted to visit an active volcano just outside of Managua instead this turned out to be our afternoons entertainment

Jean fixing a flat on Chantels bike in the heat of the afternoon sun and it was hot

here's the problem a piece of an old bridle

we weren't going to make the volcano so stayed on the outskirts of Managua in a nice hotel, it turns out there was a misunderstanding about the price what we thought was going to cost $23 a room turned out to be $63 a room, it took some negotiaton and a lot of calls to the hotel manager but we managed to get the price down to $58

Hotel Campo Real

next morning after about an hours ride we stopped at a nice restaurant to have breakfast

and then on to the Volcano Masaya

trying to get a picture looking down into the steam

We had decided to take a break from bigger cities and hit the beach so here we are in Casa Del Mar, San Juan Del Sur

beautiful beach, warm water nice way to spend an evening, inner courtyard of the hotel, dormitory room was $8/night

you can see the camera isn't focusing any more

wandering the beach in the morning, who said travelling was all hard work

Well that's it for now have to get supper, next up Costa Rica
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #102
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,941
Hey Phil, was the little surfer hotel in La Libertad?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #103
BluNozr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Nice to hear from you Phil. Thanks for the email. I'm looking forward to the upcoming posts and hearing about your time on the Stahlratte. Ride fast.
BluNozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #104
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,827
w00t!

Was talking about you with my partner at work last night, and was wondering how you were doing! Nice to see that you're still in one piece and enjoying your trip! Awesome pictures dude! You're not missing much here at home but a whole lot of rain, but some decent dual sport riding has been had. I've even managed a water crossing or two and not fallen in!

Keep the rubber down, have fun and be safe!

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #105
Slowphil OP
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Hey Phil, was the little surfer hotel in La Libertad?
Hey Misery, no it was about 5 min. before we got to La Libertad, the entrance was right on route 2, the old guy running it had built the place by hand about 20 years before and he seemed to be really enjoying his life with his wife there and his family fairly close. Wish I could remember the name of the place but I didn't write it down

Cheers Philip