Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post

oh.... who said the 800 can't handle snow?

I rode on a couple of snow days last winter just to see if i could be done. I can be, but talk about a rodeo!!! Not only are you trying not to fall, but trying to stay out of the way of all of the cagers sliding around is a whole new sport as well!

And I do have a Land Cruiser, sooooo.....

Ryan
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm 5'11 with a 34" inseam. Anyone know if an F700GS with standard height would be ok or a bit low for me? I'm also planning to order with the BMW comfort seat if I decide on this model.
Thanks
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,232
I think that's quit all right to ya
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #19
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wortho View Post
I'm 5'11 with a 34" inseam. Anyone know if an F700GS with standard height would be ok or a bit low for me? I'm also planning to order with the BMW comfort seat if I decide on this model.
Thanks
The 650/700 is not a low bike. Its just lower than the 800. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Thanks
Skip the BMW "comfort" seat that should have come with the bike to begin with. Buy a $99 Airhawk instead, small cruiser size. The BMW comfort seat will limit your movement, you are locked in to one position due to the lip on the back of the riders part of the seat. Spend the money you save on either a headlight protector and oil filter/heat exchanger protector, and a front suspension upgrade. The front suspension is pretty much the same as the single cylinder models from 2001 or so. Giving BMW $400 bucks or more for the seat that should have come with the bike in the first place is what they want you to do. Besides, there are better aftermarket seats out there if you really feel the need for a complete seat and not just the Airhawk. If you have never tried an Airhawk, you will be really surprised. In a good way.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Thanks
I'm 5'6 with a 30" inseam. I have a lower seat and standard suspension. You will be fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Okay, I'm picking up my new F700GS Thursday. Unless, I can get the 1200GS they have on the showroom floor to fit me. I've got a 30" inseam and I rented a 1200 in AZ last Feb with a 31" seat hight. Worked. Don't want a lowered chassis. Either way, I'm riding off on a bike that I didn't ride in on. Then again, you just never know.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

There's a BMW dealer in Kenora? What's next? An MV Agusta dealer in Atikokan?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
There's a BMW dealer in Kenora? What's next? An MV Agusta dealer in Atikokan?
I wish! Winnipeg is the closest. Thinking I may tread water till spring at this point. Beginning to think I need something with a little more wx protection.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

So, everything's all set to go (I thought?) at the shop. I landed early yesterday, called them and said I was riding into Winnipeg to pick up the bike. Well, the bike hasn't had a PDI. They're open till 8:00 (it's about 2:30 and I can be there by 5:30. It's a 2.5 hour ride and I would have to collect some crap (second key for the Bandit, owner's manual, a couple of oil filters etc., to go with the bike) Problem is, the "back end" shuts down at 4:30, so they wouldn't have time to do the PDI before I got there, and there would be nobody to look at my trade. How long does a PDI take? An hour? So, I worked all day today, and tomorrow. Thursday and Friday are going to be the shits for weather......sumer is OVER! I'd like the bike, but the window of opportunity has slammed shut.
A little disappointed they didn't do the inspection several days earlier. I thought it was a "done deal", Guess they didn't?
Meanwhile, the Bandit soldiers on. Temped to just keep it, and ride the DR in the gravel.
Perhaps I'm expecting too much....but I'm willing to part with the better part of 13K, I thought it would be smoother.
Lyle
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #26
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
... I thought it would be smoother.
Lyle
If you liked that, just wait until you actually have to contact Motorrad for something!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
maybe a bit tall

Quote:
Thanks

I am 5' 10" with a 30-31 inch inseam and my 2012 F650GS twin fits just fine. I would guess that a custom seat would set you up just fine!!!
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Rider View Post
I am 5' 10" with a 30-31 inch inseam and my 2012 F650GS twin fits just fine. I would guess that a custom seat would set you up just fine!!!
thanks for that and the other responces regarding my height concerns. I have placed an order and should get the Ostra Grey F700GS in early December all being well. Seems like a long wait but sometimes thats the best part
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #29
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
thanks for that and the other responces regarding my height concerns. I have placed an order and should get the Ostra Grey F700GS in early December all being well. Seems like a long wait but sometimes thats the best part
Congrats! Before you know it, it will be December!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Rubberbband
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I own a 2010 F650gs with 13000kms on it. Mind you I just retired from the Navy (Submarine Service) so I did not get a chance to rack on the miles yet. Would I buy another one...maybee. I have a leaking valve cover, a weeping cooling pump, the paint is not the best (compare to a Honda), I had a broken baffle in my exhaust pipe (had to argue with the dealer to get it fixed they wanted me to buy an aftermarket muffler to fix it I argued that I could buy a Honda and put BMW badges on it and it would also fix it) that they eventually replaced. Having said that I really enjoy riding this bike and I have not found a replacement for it yet.
Rubberbband is offline   Reply With Quote