Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #91
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 354
Good job Pilo. This means we wont have much to do in the pits or on the side of the course and more cerveza for the crew.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #92
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
High Speed Practice

Hey Frog, when you're out practice riding, what speeds are you reaching? Say in an open wash, how high do you crank it up?

I ask because I just did my first local desert run here in San Diego and my bike tops out about 65mph on dirt. I think that is a far cry from you guys prob hitting 85+++. I will say however that the more time I spend at 65 through the sand makes 50 seem muuuch easier. My buddy, who is a better technical rider than I am, was having issues seeing the terrain and anticipating things while at speed. I'm assuming you guys have the same thing but you're hauling the mail!

Any thoughts? What speeds are you comfortable at, do you ever do "hot" laps and scare the piss outta yourself or what?
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #93
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Hey Frog, when you're out practice riding, what speeds are you reaching? Say in an open wash, how high do you crank it up?

I ask because I just did my first local desert run here in San Diego and my bike tops out about 65mph on dirt. I think that is a far cry from you guys prob hitting 85+++. I will say however that the more time I spend at 65 through the sand makes 50 seem muuuch easier. My buddy, who is a better technical rider than I am, was having issues seeing the terrain and anticipating things while at speed. I'm assuming you guys have the same thing but you're hauling the mail!

Any thoughts? What speeds are you comfortable at, do you ever do "hot" laps and scare the piss outta yourself or what?
You definitely get used to fast speeds the more you ride them.

Currently my riding has been limited by other commitments which sucks but at least I won't get hurt before the race. I'm planning on heading out this weekend on my super enduro to do some high speed dirt roads because the risk is low and it will get me used o going fast again.

As far as what speed I'm comfortable at that just depends on the terrain. At Vegas to reno on my se I was able to pull 124 mph in a few spots but top speed really isn't that important. If you could ride 40 over all terrain you would be better off then 10 in spots with a 100 plus top speed.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #94
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hickonacrick drew me a cool logo for the bike and some shirts I'm going to make. I can't wait to get down there and get going. All this prep and waiting kinda sucks.

What do you think? I did the text my shirt/sticker guy will make it look much better. I have no artistic ability.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #95
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,495
Nice! Tough-Frog-Racing?
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #96
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Iron Frog. but with english grammar. it would be rana de hierro to speak correct mexican.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #97
cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Iron Frog. but with english grammar. it would be rana de hierro to speak correct mexican.
pinche gueros
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #98
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
pinche gueros
Asi somos.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #99
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yup english grammar. Figured since I'm a honky i'd mix some honky with spanish.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #100
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
its spanglish.. thats a shot from the frog epic LONG WAY 3 day Vegas to Reno isnt it!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #101
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
its spanglish.. thats a shot from the frog epic LONG WAY 3 day Vegas to Reno isnt it!
Yup I don't have any good ones of me on the 525.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #102
cross-country

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Yup I don't have any good ones of me on the 525.
You will in a few weeks!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #103
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just picked up an awesome sponsor. Smart Performance Inc.. I've been using their stuff for months and love it. When I went to order more, to service my suspension before the race, they offered to help me out.

They do all sorts of suspension work as well as makes what I like to call MAGIC suspension oil. Here is a list of the benefits and I can vouch for everyone of them. I didn't believe it but it was recommended by a fellow rider that I trust so I tried it and was blown away by the difference.

BENEFITS

l Significantly reduces or eliminates arm pump, blisters and rider fatigue.

l Controls blow-through and over-stroking providing more control and stability.

l Increases forward speed and decreases lap times.

l Makes the bike feel ultra smooth and plush.

l Increases rider confidence.

l Significantly lowers static friction between seals and bushings.

l Radically extends the life of fork and shock bushings. On many designs, bushings will no longer wear.

l Will not, “shake-off” of internal components regardless of suspension velocity.

l Provides more control at faster speeds.

l Nearly eliminates the build-up of contamination from the internal rubbing of the fork spring.

l Performance will not degrade or shift over time regardless of abuse or heat. Contains no polymers or fillers.

l Service life is 200 to 280 hours.

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/CONTACT.html

www.smartperformanceinc.com/215VM2K5.html
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #104
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
Moving forward

After many nights going backwards, I've started moving forwards. Engine, carb, new bearings in everything lots of little projects and fixes. Still a disaster but the mess should consolidate soon. Bike will be totally race ready.

Here is the SMART oil from Matt's sponsor. Sending this off to get the shock oil changed and then I'll use the rest on the forks with the fresh bushings.

pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #105
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post

BENEFITS

Significantly reduces or eliminates arm pump, blisters and rider fatigue.
I have the Smart oil in my forks.
They must-a forgot to add this ingredient in mine for the Big Sky Race.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote