Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #691
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
This is a trick used by
lawyers, doctors, and other people who want to perpetuate the illusion that they
are special and possess knowledge the rest of us do not have...
while they may or may not be special, do you actually deny that a subject matter expert (any subject) possesses knowledge that a layperson does not? the fact that they do possess uncommon knowledge is what makes them an expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Ironically, a person
who is truly superior in knowledge and intellect will have the ability to explain
things without using words which are unfamiliar to the vast majority of people.
having the ability and choosing to exercise it are completely seperate. maybe the doctor chooses not to "dumb down" his speech because he has realized that most people are idiots. or maybe he just doesn't care. or maybe he would care but is unaware of the language gap.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #692
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
If anyone felt defensive or argumentative about my last major post, the chance that you're a victim of your own excuses is almost certain. Success doesn't only come to those who have superior genetics and achievements don't just come to those who had a perfect upbringing in an ideal environment. Overcoming adversity, gents....that's what life is all about.
I don't think of myself as a victim of excuses. I'm making a good living and I'm doing a lot of what I want to do. I've found a pretty solid compromise and I made the choice to go with it. I just recognize that there are people who don't get the same opportunities to make choices as I've had.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #693
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Heh, ItsNottheBike.....THANK YOU for hitting the nail dead center on the head!!!!! I've argued this point with several 'anything is possible' folks, but they refuse to get it because they've never TRIED the ANYTHING!!! I had delusions of grandeur when I was playing college golf (actually won a few tournaments and a state championship) about turning 'pro'. And then reality hit while playing a big tourney when my competitor hit a shot I hadn't even considered! If I can't hit that shot in a college tourney, I got no shot at the PGA.....no matter how hard I worked. I simply didn't have enough TALENT! I relatively fast on my track bike, but no where near the track record and Casey is faster on a moped!!!

Like you said, the simple fact is we are NOT created equal! Newton, Einstein, Feyman, and those great minds, see things differently. Casey is different on a m/c from everybody else because is more talented then everybody else. I'm OK with this and have never had an issue with it. A buddy, who came from a humble family, is now a millionaire because he made that the focus of his life. I chose another path and have experienced/felt 'life' from a point that my buddy never will. My career choice has left me comfortable, but definitely not rich, but I continue to point my life to 'feel & experience' those things that I consider important and critical.

BTW...my buddy is jealous of my humble financial life, but refuses to step outside the box he's created to expience/feel life.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #694
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
Heh, ItsNottheBike.....THANK YOU for hitting the nail dead center on the head!!!!! I've argued this point with several 'anything is possible' folks, but they refuse to get it because they've never TRIED the ANYTHING!!! I had delusions of grandeur when I was playing college golf (actually won a few tournaments and a state championship) about turning 'pro'. And then reality hit while playing a big tourney when my competitor hit a shot I hadn't even considered! If I can't hit that shot in a college tourney, I got no shot at the PGA.....no matter how hard I worked. I simply didn't have enough TALENT! I relatively fast on my track bike, but no where near the track record and Casey is faster on a moped!!!

Like you said, the simple fact is we are NOT created equal! Newton, Einstein, Feyman, and those great minds, see things differently. Casey is different on a m/c from everybody else because is more talented then everybody else. I'm OK with this and have never had an issue with it. A buddy, who came from a humble family, is now a millionaire because he made that the focus of his life. I chose another path and have experienced/felt 'life' from a point that my buddy never will. My career choice has left me comfortable, but definitely not rich, but I continue to point my life to 'feel & experience' those things that I consider important and critical.

BTW...my buddy is jealous of my humble financial life, but refuses to step outside the box he's created to expience/feel life.
The more I read the last few pages the more I agree with this.
Kind of like me trying to be a professional jockey.....just not going to happen at 6'2" and 240....lol
Not saying that people don't have a chance to better themselves, but some people weren't made to be doctors, lawyers, jockeys, motogp racers. Case in point, one of my best friends has photographic memory, he definitely used it to his advantage and some things came to him a lot easier than me.

rico2072 screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 08:54 AM
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #695
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Look, guys, I wasn't claiming that everyone can be in the NBA just because they wish it so, nor was I claiming that anyone can be the next Einstein. My point (before it gets lost completely) is that we are all more powerful than we think we are and the world is far less powerful than we think it is. Test it out. I do, everyday and it's worked out quite well for me. None of my own personal achievements (including this trip) would have been possible without a, 'fuck it--I'll see if it's possible before saying it ain't' attitude.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (Eliot)

If this is such a horrible personal philosophy, I am not quite sure what to say.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #696
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
And this is what makes LIFE so damn interesting!!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #697
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808

This sentiment goes here.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #698
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Look, guys, I wasn't claiming that everyone can be in the NBA just because they wish it so, nor was I claiming that anyone can be the next Einstein. My point (before it gets lost completely) is that we are all more powerful than we think we are and the world is far less powerful than we think it is. Test it out. I do, everyday and it's worked out quite well for me. None of my own personal achievements (including this trip) would have been possible without a, 'fuck it--I'll see if it's possible before saying it ain't' attitude.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. (Eliot)

If this is such a horrible personal philosophy, I am not quite sure what to say.
You don't need to say anything. Your point was quite clear -- and quite valid -- to the less argumentative and less defensive of your many fascinated readers.

And I'll just add one small point: I believe that we ARE all created equal; we're just not created the same. Any of us can go as far as we want to as long as we understand where our particular skills and talents lie, and as long as we act with that knowledge in mind.
OldBoldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #699
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,552
i've coined it "the fuck it factor" all decisions in life ultimately come down to it. either you say "fuck it, it aint worth it." or you say, "fuck it, i'm going for it!"

your successes, your failures, your financial freedom or your financial oppression all stem ultimately from "the fuck it factor".

fortunately our intrepid AH falls more on the "fuck it, i'm going for it!" side of the coin.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #700
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 81
Quote:

As a personal philosophy, it's great!

Your mileage may vary.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #701
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:

Just keep on man! More pics and updates!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #702
Sweetzombiejesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I propose we move the philsophical debate aspect of this RR to another thread where it wont muddle the beauty of this RR. Thats just me though.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #703
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i've coined it "the fuck it factor" all decisions in life ultimately come down to it. either you say "fuck it, it aint worth it." or you say, "fuck it, i'm going for it!"

your successes, your failures, your financial freedom or your financial oppression all stem ultimately from "the fuck it factor".

fortunately our intrepid AH falls more on the "fuck it, i'm going for it!" side of the coin.

You're in good company, my friend.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #704
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
I propose we move the philsophical debate aspect of this RR to another thread where it wont muddle the beauty of this RR. Thats just me though.
Agreed. More pics to come (NYC!).

Danny--that video is the perfect period to this portion of the thread. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #705
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

NYC Traffic