User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
jock OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Question Living in Namibia

Any ADVriders either live in Namibia or visited there? Lived in Zimbabwe on expat contract in early-mid 80's & loved it. Wife & I considering retirement in southern Africa. Zim out (Mugabe destroyed "Gods little acre"), Bots locals seem to hate all foreigners (did then &, it seems, still do) & not all that keen on South Africa. Namibia sounds good, at least from the minimal info available.

Any "real time" info on either Windhoek or anywhere else worth living would be MOST appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jock
Lost in NW IN
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
Gruebane
Pawn Star

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock
Any ADVriders either live in Namibia or visited there? Lived in Zimbabwe on expat contract in early-mid 80's & loved it. Wife & I considering retirement in southern Africa. Zim out (Mugabe destroyed "Gods little acre"), Bots locals seem to hate all foreigners (did then &, it seems, still do) & not all that keen on South Africa. Namibia sounds good, at least from the minimal info available.

Any "real time" info on either Windhoek or anywhere else worth living would be MOST appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jock
Lost in NW IN
Hi

Nope i dont live in Namibia but live in ZA ....been to Nam a couple of times an really liked it. Government talk is getting close to that despot mugabe talk though so be careful.

ZA is booming at the moment ,especially the coastal areas with the developers building these huge golfing estates in the western cape and garden route area...loads of foreigners are buying up the coast line.

If you need any help just pm me an i can see what i can do.

cheers
Old 04-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock

jock
Lost in NW IN
I am a local, and can help you out too. I wish someoen would take out Mugabe cos hes a fat stinking pile of you know what, and deserves to be reamed up the butt Shaka Zulu style!

When he goes, there might be opportunity there. I know Ziim well, I know Zam well (my dad was born in Livingstone in the old days), and I know Bots, and I know SA well. Havent been to Nam though - sadly. Closest was Chobe.

Oh well, need help, buzz, I'll help ya
Old 05-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Mantis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Good olde L’ Afrique de Sud seems to be the best place in Southern Africa these days. Living is easy, and cheap, and there are allot more opportunities here than anywhere else on this big 7 shaped continent.

Nam politics are pretty crap too, Nujoma is in idiot. Pretty much like Brain Dead Bob over there in Zim, just not as wacked yet. But he will get there soon I guess. Give it time.

Dude, Nam is going backwards. Unless you go there on holiday, it pretty much suck most of the time. Cool rides I and cool scenery, but it gets boring after a while. But I guess we all different, so if sand und beer eez your zing, und si don’t mind ze isolation und lack of good nightclubs, good parties, und over all lack of modern technology, zen I say go for it. If you are used to modern stuff, then South Africa should be the place.

Tschuss
Gottesanbeterin
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
rvdcolf
rvdcolf

Oddometer: 36
Namibia

So Mantis, what is this "wonderful technology" in South Africa that is not available in Namibia (apart from designer drugs that is)?
As far as offroad riding is concerned, it seems as if you are taking the tar roads in Namibia - come around and we'll take you on a mind-blowing tour! If you get bored for one minute and lose concentration, I guarantee you that you'll go back without a bike.
KTM 950S
KTM 640 Adv
BMW 1100GS
KTM 620SX
rvdcolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Mantis
n00b

Aaarrrggghhhhhh not another one
People here are way to serious.
Are others not entitled to their own opinions?

Ok ok ok, let me rephrase it, to sound less offensive. Before I left, it felt to me like Namibia is not growing, as if the whole place just stagnated. Just my opinion. And I do believe the person who started the threat asked opinions. Many South Africans feels the same about their country too I suppose.

But, we are all different I suppose.

Tschuss
Old 05-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
rvdcolf
rvdcolf

re Namibia

Sorry if I sound too serious - important to get the facts straight, because (as you said) someone was askiing for an opinion.
1. Nujoma is NOT the present president.
2. As far as economics are concerned - the debt/GDP ratio of the Namibia is far better than RSA (3rd on Afrcan list).
But as you say - bikers don't care about boring statistics - what is of importance, we having the most awesome offroad biking roads. So my invitation stands - come for a visit.
KTM 950S
KTM 640 Adv
BMW 1100GS
KTM 620SX
Old 05-29-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Mantis
n00b

I go back to see family over Christmast. Maybe then we should hook up.

where do u live?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
rvdcolf
rvdcolf

Re Namibia

Hi
At present living in Windhoek - sounds like great idea, however I'll probably be gone in December during festive season.
KTM 950S
KTM 640 Adv
BMW 1100GS
KTM 620SX
Old 05-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,164
Pissed Life in Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdcolf
Sorry if I sound too serious - important to get the facts straight, because (as you said) someone was askiing for an opinion.
1. Nujoma is NOT the present president.
2. As far as economics are concerned - the debt/GDP ratio of the Namibia is far better than RSA (3rd on Afrcan list).
But as you say - bikers don't care about boring statistics - what is of importance, we having the most awesome offroad biking roads. So my invitation stands - come for a visit.
I think the boys are getting mixed up here!

There are two issues, one is living in the place and the other is riding in the place!

I must be honest, I have not been to Namibia for many years, I was up there in the 80,s we used to frequent the Octoberfest, since then some aquaintances of mine built a Water Treatment plant outside Windhoek, when they weren,t in Joe,s Beer Hall. They all gave positive feedback, but as always they were there relatively short term.

In all of these countries, you have to accept that they are not Europe or the States and that is one of the reasons I chose to live here! It is just the extent of how far away from it you want to be, I spent a few years in Elisras on the Botswana border building a Power Station, there looks like a new one coming up in the same region and I may well get involved again, the bushveld is good for the soul, it should be even more fun on a big black 1150!

I am looking very hungrily at Jan du Toit,s upcoming trip into Angola via Namibia, from the previous reports it should be awesome!

Welshman
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I know this is an old thread but i have to set a few thing straight. You don't have to worry about the politics in Namibia, its 2012 and nothing drastic happens politics wise. Living here is actually grate, we are a very friendly nation and we drink a lot . Our economy is booming especial in the property market and don't forget our mining industry witch is huge.

If you find a place boring because there are not enough night clubs, i feel sorry for you. We are very calm and relaxed nation. After living here you will tend to agree with me. As for riding, well you don't have to worry about that. There are plenty riding areas here (from fun on a 250 enduro, mx bike to a gs1200). Explore is the game find the route is the name.

PS a Namibian engineering student.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
JimOsse
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello local southern Africans
i visited Namibia in the mid 90s and loved it all. I'm leaving in 2 months for an italy to cape town 6 month trip on my brandy new GSA.

question, is there any way to get into etosha on a mothorcycle? What about botswana?

and what about Angola? i read some trip reports and i'd like to try it, how? I have a contact there to maybe get past the visa problems (meaning an inside local to sponsor me, which i think is still required).

regardless, it will be a good day when Mugabe dies.
JimOsse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
ZamPete
it is what it is

Oddometer: 5
Yo, I live in Livingstone so make sure you swing by as you come through.

My buddies just did a 3 week 4x4 expedition through Angola just recently and they had to get the invitation letters from an insider to get the visas. They also had to check in at the police station in every town they stayed in and preferably had a local present to vouch for them every time.

I hear that bikes aren't allowed through Chobe National Park in Botswana, not sure about Etosha. The road from Livingstone to Joburg through Bots is no problem though and neither is the Walvis Bay - Livingstone route. No lack of fuel and decent to amazing tarmac the whole way. I've driven or ridden both of those routes this year.
ZamPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOsse View Post
Hello local southern Africans
i visited Namibia in the mid 90s and loved it all. I'm leaving in 2 months for an italy to cape town 6 month trip on my brandy new GSA.

question, is there any way to get into etosha on a mothorcycle? What about botswana?

and what about Angola? i read some trip reports and i'd like to try it, how? I have a contact there to maybe get past the visa problems (meaning an inside local to sponsor me, which i think is still required).

regardless, it will be a good day when Mugabe dies.

I don't think that bikes are allowed in etosha. Safety and predators do not mix.

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote