User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
maigashi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Best radiator guard

Going to be doing almost 4000km on gravel and shale and need the best protection for my juices possible. Suggestions? I like the altrider one the best right now.
maigashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Leap of Faith
My hand to the devil

Oddometer: 29
Wicked

Purchased SM Motech guards. They are same principle as Altriders except for welded inserts. I dropped Trophy twice in gravel and not a scratch on plastics. Also held up from impact and did not bend crashbars but even if it did it is worth investment. It is a must because as another Advrider inmate has already stated "It is not a matter of if, but when"!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
maigashi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More specifically the grill in front of the rad. Already have sw crash guard, already used them. Lol
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
I've got the Altrider rad gaurd and am happy with it. I too felt it was the best of the lot of what's out there.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
You could do a homemade one like JDrocks did on his Ninja 650 conversion. See the "some assmebly required" forum.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 58
Between the fender and OEM plastic cover dissipating any possible debris thrown up how likely is a stray to even do damage to the radiator? I'd think the hefty guards up there would be more useful to plow through brush and sticks that might spear through the plastic? I honestly have no clue, so tell me if that's so... I'm just trying to restrain myself more from the ever expanding weight of this bike. You know, the theory that just because Touratech makes it I need to bolt it on?

Cheers,
GSMonkey
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Kildala is fantastic! I have run it for years. Great protection and good air flow. Great price of $100.
The Kildala is a true dirt bike style radiator quard when looking at it from the front wheel you cannot get a rock or poke a stick into any part of the guard.
The louvres direct air in from the side. The altrider design is more of a street grill to prevent large objects from hitting the radiator.

Contact Rick: rbizarro@telus.net

http://kiladala.myshopify.com/collec...gs-twin-f800gs

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 02:54 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,874
I totally agree with the Kildala recommendation but it does not look like he has any for sale.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate View Post
Between the fender and OEM plastic cover dissipating any possible debris thrown up how likely is a stray to even do damage to the radiator? I'd think the hefty guards up there would be more useful to plow through brush and sticks that might spear through the plastic? I honestly have no clue, so tell me if that's so... I'm just trying to restrain myself more from the ever expanding weight of this bike. You know, the theory that just because Touratech makes it I need to bolt it on?

Cheers,
GSMonkey
I wonder the same thing. I'm also curious if some sort of a screen to filter out brush and bugs that might clog the radiator would be more useful?
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate View Post

Cheers,
GSMonkey
I replaced the original plastic gaurd only after doing the high fender mod. Lots more potential for flying debris without the low fender, but it's a trade off I'm happy to make.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Kildala is fantastic! I have run it for years. Great protection and good air flow. Great price of $100.
The Kildala is a true dirt bike style radiator quard when looking at it from the front wheel you cannot get a rock or poke a stick into any part of the guard.
The louvres direct air in from the side. The altrider design is more of a street grill to prevent large objects from hitting the radiator.
I had that same question for the F658. I'm hoping to do Labrador next year and this one looks great for the roads up there. I just ordered it. Thanks for the advice
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Hayate
ADV Monkey

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
I wonder the same thing. I'm also curious if some sort of a screen to filter out brush and bugs that might clog the radiator would be more useful?
I'm also now deleting a bunch of the side protection bolt on bits from my wish list. Basically going with the theory that everything that isn't a skidplate or crashbars on the "engine protection" section of the TT site isn't a net gain. For the small chance that one of those shiny pieces saves ya mechanically is it worth the weight? At some point extra pounds = an extra fall here and there (which in turn can cause something to break).

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...for-BMW-F800GS

I have the skidplate, skidplate extension (lame!) and oil filter guard in the engine protection section and I think that's all I need from there.
Minnesota Parallel "Twin" Cities GS Riders
Daniel Betlock Adventure Rider
Hayate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
maigashi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not overly worried about rocks coming off my own bike but riding a long distance in a group and on trucking road there are a lot of airborne hazards
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Kildala is also made in BC Canada so you can get domestic shipping

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
The OP was referring to the guard that covers the radiator from rocks etc. Not bars that protect if the bike falls on it's side. I never bothered to change the radiator guard. My bike has done Ruta 40 and quite a bit of dirt and gravel without a radiator problem. Has anyone experienced a radiator problem? The reason why I ask is I am thinking of doing Siberia next.

I don't have a good opinion of Tourtech. They love to sell you guards for stuff that wont break anyway. Dave