Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #46
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
What type of advice would you give a newer rider thats never raced a rally like this before? I rode a lot as a kid, quit once I got my license, and just started riding again about 2 years ago (12 year break). I currently race harescrambles but have spent some time riding higher speed forest roads out west.

I ride a CRF450x with a steering stabilizer which I know will help in the sand. Are these rallys ridiculously tough or should it be not to bad for me? Either way, Im there lol.

Arrive on time, attend the new competitor orientation class (mandatory). Ride to finish and have fun. Try to learn how to do your timing controls etc. When racing just ride where you are comfortable and aim to finish. If the weather is dry then the sand can be deep and loose in places. If it rains then there is a lot of clay that gets greasy. Don't worry about winning the thing and just ride for fun...as the day progresses you will start to relax and have more fun as you get used to the conditions. etc.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #47
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Arrive on time, attend the new competitor orientation class (mandatory). Ride to finish and have fun. Try to learn how to do your timing controls etc. When racing just ride where you are comfortable and aim to finish. If the weather is dry then the sand can be deep and loose in places. If it rains then there is a lot of clay that gets greasy. Don't worry about winning the thing and just ride for fun...as the day progresses you will start to relax and have more fun as you get used to the conditions. etc.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks buddy.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #48
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Sounds like the noob corner may be filling up!
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #49
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 248
More noob questions. Anyone prefer one neck brace over another? Are they required or just a good idea?
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,552
Dawn they arent required, but they are a good idea.

I couldnt tell you which one works better than another. Its nice to get one that coordinates with both the armor and a jacket, though... something I dont have.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #51
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

A lot of us run Leatt braces....you just have to try one out to see if you like it. Some people cannot stand having them on and either use an alternative or not at all.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #52
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

. Its nice to get one that coordinates with both the armor and a jacket, though...

+1 on the brace coordinating with your armor. I have basically modified all of my kit to work together with the brace, basically hacking into my 661 pressure suit to make it all work, then cutting the collar of my wind-breaker etc.

With my set-up the way it currently is, I don;t even know the brace is on while riding...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #53
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Hat's off to you Seth, you're really preaching the rally gospel
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #54
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hat's off to you Seth, you're really preaching the rally gospel

I am in a charitable mood at the moment Running Tall Pines with Greg in the 280Z in November

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #55
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I am in a charitable mood at the moment Running Tall Pines with Greg in the 280Z in November
I love that rally! I crewed for Iorio one year and had an absolute blast....after he wrecked a transmission of course (again). I ran a stage in the car and I don't recall it's name but it had a bunch of jumps and some really tight blind corners.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #56
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Its nice to get one that coordinates with both the armor and a jacket, though... something I dont have.
Oh, right, armor. E-bay here I come :)
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #57
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
Oh, right, armor. E-bay here I come :)
My Wife has a newish Acerbis Koerta armor suit that she only wore twice, if you're interested. Size small/med. PM me and I can connect you both.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #58
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
What type of advice would you give a newer rider thats never raced a rally like this before? I rode a lot as a kid, quit once I got my license, and just started riding again about 2 years ago (12 year break). I currently race harescrambles but have spent some time riding higher speed forest roads out west.

I ride a CRF450x with a steering stabilizer which I know will help in the sand. Are these rallys ridiculously tough or should it be not to bad for me? Either way, Im there lol.
SandBlast last year was my first rally after being back on a dirtbike for 6 months or so. I basically showed up with me, my bike, and my riding gear. I'd never raced before and I made it through just fine. Everybody was super helpful at figuring out where I needed to be and when.

Read the rule books to find out the right gear and bike tech and general rally rules. This will make registration and tech much easier. The beginner orientation will get you the rest you need to know about the actual race. The shakedown is worth it to get a feel for the sand.

Bring a friend or two if possible. I had a fantastic time and a great adventure doing SandBlast solo but had way more fun doing rally WV with friends and family there for the weekend!
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #59
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDay View Post
More noob questions. Anyone prefer one neck brace over another? Are they required or just a good idea?
I got an Atlas Brace this summer and I LOVE it. It works with all my gear. I primarily wear it over my Axo Air Cage armor. It seems like it will be compatible with most armor. My camelback doesn't interfere with it either.

I like that it stays put without any buckles or straps.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #60
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post

PS: Whats the word on tires for the big bikes?
Something with good knob like a TKC80 should be fine (17" right? ). There's a knobby by metzler that fits the big bikes too right? karoo?

Seems like alot of the dirtbike guys run Michelin S-12 for the tall knob that's good in soft terrain/mud/sand but I think they are only in 18" and 19" sizes.