ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Old Penguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Wiring BMW Navigator IV

The docking unit with my BMW Navigator IV does not include documentation for the wiring / connectors. I have emailed Garmin, but they say this is a BMW product and they can not help me. I am trying to connect it to my 2007 BMW F650 Dakar. The harness that came in with the unit was the older Navigator III. Anyone have a schematic or documentation?

J2 pin 1 appears to be ground connected to B2, B6, B8, A2, A8

J1 pin 1 appears to be connected to A5
J1 pin 2 appears to be connected to B4

TIA,
Old Penguin

BMW K75S 1988
BMW F650 Dakar 2007
Suzuki DRZ400E
Attached Images

Old Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Old Penguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oops wrong image

Here is the correct image.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 932
OP... did you get this sorted out?

Are you just looking to power the Nav, or do you want to hard-wire audio out, as well?

Ji is mono audio out for turn-by-turn only.
It is intended to plug into a mating connector on a bike with a factory audio system, like a R1200RT

** Note corrected Pinout: **
J2 Pin 1 - GROUND

J2 Pin 2 - sense (Canbus, not needed)
J2 Pin3 - +12V

You could connect into this wire with Posi-taps, or purchase a mating connector from BMW, part number 80 00 0 611 656.

On account of the cradle, it's not possible to get Stereo audio out of the Nav IV, except by Bluetooth. You could, I am confident, get a Zumo 660 cradle. You will lose the side buttons, but the 660 cradle has proper audio-in, audio-out and power connections on a long fly-lead.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 08:19 PM
RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Old Penguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Navigator IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto
OP... did you get this sorted out?

Are you just looking to power the Nav, or do you want to hard-wire audio out, as well?

Ji is mono audio out for turn-by-turn only.
It is intended to plug into a mating connector on a bike with a factory audio system, like a R1200RT

J2 Pin 1 = +12V
J2 Pin 2 - sense (Canbus, not needed)
J2 Pin3 - Ground

You could connect into this wire with Posi-taps, or purchase a mating connector from BMW, part number 80 00 0 611 656.

On account of the cradle, it's not possible to get Stereo audio out of the Nav IV, except by Bluetooth. You could, I am confident, get a Zumo 660 cradle. You will lose the side buttons, but the 660 cradle has proper audio-in, audio-out and power connections on a long fly-lead.
Since I needed mounts for 2 of my bikes, I got one of the Garmin Zumo 660 cradles and got it working with this. Thanks for the information on the mating connector from BMW. This is the information I was seeking. It would be nice to use the supplied connector, I realize I could have just cut it off and re-terminated it.

Regards,
Old Penguin
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
JB3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I am trying to hook up a second cradle for a Nav II and my plug looks the same. On my harness, J2-pin 1 is black, J2-pin 2 is white, and J2-pin 3 is red. Are you saying the black wire is power and the red wire is ground? Color coding seems backwards to me. Hmmm. I sure don't want to hook it up reverse polarity.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Old Penguin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Polarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3
I am trying to hook up a second cradle for a Nav II and my plug looks the same. On my harness, J2-pin 1 is black, J2-pin 2 is white, and J2-pin 3 is red. Are you saying the black wire is power and the red wire is ground? Color coding seems backwards to me. Hmmm. I sure don't want to hook it up reverse polarity.
The Navigator IV appears to have reverse polarity protection. Also the Garmin Zumo 660 cradle had the industry norm of Black for return and Red for hot.

Old Penguin
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 932
Eh? BMW Canbus power connector pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Penguin
The Navigator IV appears to have reverse polarity protection. Also the Garmin Zumo 660 cradle had the industry norm of Black for return and Red for hot.

Old Penguin
Sorry folks... too many late nights

I corrected the pin designations, above, but to re-clarify - the correct Pinout is:

PIN 1 = GROUND
PIN 2 = SENSE (not needed)
PIN 3 = +12 Volts
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
JB3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I can rest easy now. Thanks.
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Reviving the thread, hard audio out

hi all I thought I would bring this thread back up and see if anyone had any ideas. I have a 2012GS and the IV mount and cable which looks identical to the one in the pics at the start of this thread. The thre pin connector went straight to the one already on the bike and the other one went no ware as there is no audio system on the GS.

I have wanted to get the audio out to connect it to a headset. or Sena SR10. basically I need to get it into a typical mono phono connector. I don't want to use the Bluetooth for this. beacouse I am running out of channels to connect bluteooth and I was going to pipe it over the recieve feede from my 2-way radio which should be easy. of course no I am thinking of getting a Sena SR10 to make it a bit more mobile. either way I need to make a cable that get's it hands on this audio out.

I would like to just get the other end of the 2-pin connector and solder it to a female phono connector. I can do the soldering but I have no idea where to source the audio connector that mates to the harness.

TIA
Dwayne
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote