Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Cool Trip Lots of great riding in that area. I wish I had more time to explore it.
Thanks! It is a great area! We have 6 more days of fun to post up and we will probably post another day or two over the weekend. Its fun to share and I always enjoy reading your trips too!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #92
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Carpenters Grocery. What a nice find. I did not know any shelf behind the counter stores were still in operation in the non gift shop form.

Looks like your having a great trip.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #93
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
I think I traced most of your steps today

And

I will look for the rest next time I get a chance.
I must have rode by Carpenters 200 times over the years and never noticed it. Shot Tower, the same. Usually I am in route to home or WV with nothing but getting there on my mind.
Thanks for your ride reports, makes me now want to slow down and smell the roses.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #94
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Carpenters Grocery. What a nice find. I did not know any shelf behind the counter stores were still in operation in the non gift shop form.

Looks like your having a great trip.
Yeah and he is a neat fellow too. He knows a helluva lot of history about that area. A very interesting place to look around. me and mtngal bought some bottled waters and crackers and a few goodies we needed too. Thanks for your comments!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #95
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
I think I traced most of your steps today

And

I will look for the rest next time I get a chance.
I must have rode by Carpenters 200 times over the years and never noticed it. Shot Tower, the same. Usually I am in route to home or WV with nothing but getting there on my mind.
Thanks for your ride reports, makes me now want to slow down and smell the roses.
I was just over on the SE Thread and saw your new tag...glad I gave you an idea. We have a bunch of neat stuff coming up on the rest of this trip too that may give you some tag ideas so check back in a few days. mtngal has a knack for finding interesting photos and subjects. Have a good weekend and ride safe!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #96
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
Nice yarn yer a spinning' , Aarrff.

You enjoy riding the Marlinton WV roads some day. Lotsa VERY small, old "towns", mn roads, old barns and unfortunately abandoned old buildings
Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #97
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Nice yarn yer a spinning' , Aarrff.

You enjoy riding the Marlinton WV roads some day. Lotsa VERY small, old "towns", mn roads, old barns and unfortunately abandoned old buildings
Hey thanks for the idea KHVol! I have been through that area quickly on 55 I think it is but I know its a great area and would like to explore more. I have been on some neat roads north of Clifton Forge and west of Staunton but not enough. I know there are some nice dirt or gravel roads around there that would be fun so I'll do this someday. Thanks for stopping by and the info!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #98
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Posting up day three of our trip which was 9/23/12: We left Franklin Va and headed south east toward Elizabeth City NC on some back roads that I had studied on Google Maps. We could have gone on east toward Norfolk and then taken a toll road down that way but why do that when you can ride through the eastern farm lands and might see something interesting.

We even found a curve down here

We started passing quite a few impressive cotton fields:

I guess this place is for sale

After passing Elizabeth City, we head east toward Kill Devil Hills and the Outer Banks:

Not sure about the order of some farm photos as there were farms both north and east of Elizabeth City...

Hole in the trees for the power lines I guess

We had both been in Elizabeth City several times before so we rolled on through and decided to find somewhere to eat perhaps before we reached the OBX.

Hmmm....I dunno about this place ??? Might get more than we bargained for

Now this is just off the beaten path ( highway 158) but it may have possibilities so we'll check it out...

Turn here I bet

Now this is looking pretty cool so we go in!

Easy to find your way around here

Oh yes, this has possibilities

Bon Appetit! This turned out to be one of the best meals on the trip, fresh seafood, and just awesome! Go there!!!!

After the big meal,we walked around the marina. Nice people there and we saw this boat full of decoys:

And this must be Coinjock himself....dirty stinky little dog

They had a nice gift shop there with neat t-shirts for Coinjock Marina so we picked up a few and found this whole thing to be a really nice place to stop for lunch. Not crowded, laid back lifestyle, just our kind of place on Coinjock Bay. We asked our waitress, who had spent the summer near us in the mountains, about the name "Coinjock" and she thinks it has something to do with a plant growing in the area.. At any rate, a fun stop.

This was a big day with lots more to come as we ended up the day on Ocracoke with a sunset ferry ride. We were also as far north as Corolla to see the horses so I am taking a break here and posting this up as segment one of the day.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 08:38 PM
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #99
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,336
Good choice with the Coinjock Marina. Frog Island Seafood just north of there at Barco, NC is another good local choice.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #100
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunt View Post
Good choice with the Coinjock Marina. Frog Island Seafood just north of there at Barco, NC is another good local choice.

<>< Fish
Hey Travis! Thanks, I will put this one in my notes for the next trip. Thanks for following!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #101
mle52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks for posting, I have wanted to ride this area for a long time but several attempts to locate routes have not been very successful, I usually get replies listing the tourist areas. We like back roads and no time table. Finally gave up and went to Alaska last year. Your report gives me a lot of information about the area and I think I will try again to list out some routes you have described to try. Hope to to east next summer, living in the Texas Panhandle we always seem to travel west and northwest.
mle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #102
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle52 View Post
Thanks for posting, I have wanted to ride this area for a long time but several attempts to locate routes have not been very successful, I usually get replies listing the tourist areas. We like back roads and no time table. Finally gave up and went to Alaska last year. Your report gives me a lot of information about the area and I think I will try again to list out some routes you have described to try. Hope to to east next summer, living in the Texas Panhandle we always seem to travel west and northwest.
Thank you for checking by mle52! I will be glad anytime, just send a PM, to help you or suggest routes in the NC, VA area. On this trip, we basically followed 58 east through VA to a town called Franklin. We did detour, north out of downtown Hillsville, VA to see the shot tower and explore some dirt roads just east of the New River State Park near the Shot Tower. I can give you specifics on those if needed. When we left Franklin in this segment, I went just a few miles east on 58 then turned south on 189 then L onto Gates Road, that became something like Camp Pond and we crossed into NC and the name changed to Sandbank, then I think we picked up 158 east at a 4-way intersection and stayed with 158/17 through Elizabeth City and stopped at Coinjack on the way to the OBX. Just before crossing the bridge leaving Elizabeth City, you may want to explore a few streets just to the right prior to the bridge is the older part of town, Mariners Warf, etc. Some shops and restaurants there. It was Sunday morning when we went by there and the churches were busy but nothing else looked open. Take Care and hope you get this way!

Honda XR 70 R
Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #103
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Continuing on with day three, 9/23/12, we pulled out of Coinjack with a lot of riding to do yet, and headed on south on 158.

mtngal had never been north to Duck and Corolla so once we got over to Highway 12, we headed north to see the sights in that direction, and maybe the wild horses on the beach north of Corolla.

It is very developed down that way but both Duck and Corolla are really nice little towns with lots of gift shops if you like that. Our main interests were to see if we could find firm sand to ride up the beach above Corolla and to see the Corolla Light House. Considerable traffic at times so expect it to go slow and slow speed limits.

Here we go out onto the beach at the north end of Corolla.....No anything allowed here, no peeing in the sand, no pooping, no nudity, no drinking, no...well...if you think it might be fun, you can't do it...so..

Here I am after not going very far Found out later some folks tried it on small bikes and no luck either. The only firm stuff was right in the water and I was not into getting that much salt on my bike this early in the trip.Oh yeah....I am not supposed to stop here so....just had to get a pic No stopping for any reason too!!

Up the beach, on a zoom lense, we could see some wild horses and people.

Ok, so we did not brave to loose stuff and it was really more loose than the last time I was here. Back in town, we turn off to see the Corolla Light house.

mtngal had been spattered already with seagull doo as we headed to Corolla, and then these things kept hitting her in the head ....what next??

We then headed back through town and they have some tame horses: or Pegasus' or is the plural Pegasuii

Enough of the congestion so we head back south and a quick stop at the Wright Memorial. They were closing soon but we just wanted a few pics anyway and my Old Geeezer National Parks Pass got us in free anyway.

After a brief visit there, we hit the road south toward Hatteras and encounter little traffic as the day wanes. There were these two really slow bikes that we came upon and so we blew them away on short order As you will see, we meet up with them later...on the ferry

Somewhere different for my hands I guess...did not know she was taking photos of this...

Stretching my back I guess...on cruise control...

Pea Island

In Avon, we pick up a snack, blueberry muffins, coffee, and gas....ain't cheap.

Late evening kite flying on the beach as we approach Hatteras

OK, taking a break from this posting up. Next segment, maybe later tonight, will be a fun stop at Hatteras even though the buildings are closed, then a beautiful sunset ferry ride over to Ocracoke, and dinner there before we turn in at our reserved B & B.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #104
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Final segment of day three 9/23/12:

Just down the road, we pull into the Hatteras park.

In a few minutes I heard mtngal laughing about something. She had taken a photo that I did not realize what she did until later...she said that I was just totally excited to be on this trip.....

Just down the road, we arrive at the ferry to Ocracoke just as the sun sets on another great day...

Old Glory watches over us

Boarding now

mtngal did some photo shop work to get enough light on some of these photos...here I am talking to the two guys we had passed earlier. They are brave souls, cousins, traveling thousands of miles on these small engine bikes and their top speed is only 50 Not me, not on the open road like this...they were neat guys and we had fun talking to them and they took a photo of me and mtngal which she doctored to get more light as well...

One of their bikes had these really huge tires and they tried their luck in the sand at Corolla and did not get far either..

Another ride similar too ours...

Prop wash as we pull out

mtngal enjoys the evening breeze as we head across

Having a fun trip as we always do!!!

Docked and unloading

A short spin in the dark and we are in town, checked into our room and back out fer grub,,,,room photos tomorrow in the daylight.

Inside and the guys we met on the ferry were here too...well...this was about all that was still open. This late in the year, lots of places close up a bit early.

The menu and the food and beer was good!

We had a long and fun day so next up will be day four 9/24/12, but it may be a few days before I get time to post it up.

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 08:46 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #105
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

It's early morning of day four, 9-24-12.

I emerge right after mtngal for a morning stroll before breakfast is served. Dang! I just noticed something...I match the B&B with my green t-shirt

We stayed at The Cove and it was a very good place to stay and the host and hostess were the mostest!

Just down the street is a nice nature trail out to the surf so we check it out...

Another view of the B&B:

We met some really nice people on this trip and this couple met with us for breakfast. We will remain in touch with them as with several other people we met. It seems the motorcycle just keeps putting us in contact with the best people on earth and from so many different walks of life! That makes our horizons truly unlimited.

A few history lessons before we head for our lunch and the 2PM ferry reservation for Cedar Island. I knew we would be late getting to Ocracoke, so this gave us plenty of time to explore the little harbor, check out the local history, and find ( what else!) good grub!

Did you know there is a British Cemetery on Ocracoke?

In case you can't read the above, the British trawler was sunk by a German submarine in 1942.German subs were very active in WWII. I will show you some photos from Topsail Island,south of here, from the next day having to do with the same subject.

I know nothing about "Old River"except this on his grave marker.

Ocracoke Lighthouse and our B&B was just a few blocks away.

Lunchtime!

Bon Apetit!

This fine ( and I mean that!) place to eat has taken their restrooms to new heights!

Oh man, no wonder I have gained some pounds. Between this trip and my recent trip to the coast of New Brunswick Canada and Maine, I think I have eaten my way from Shediac N.B.to Charleston SC Good thing I have my favorite buddy on this trip sharing stuff like this with me or it would have been much worse...

Silly bird at the ferry lot:

Prop wash from the ferry as we pull out of a long ride of over 2 hours to Cedar Island:

In the above photo, we have noticed that mtngals camera has developed an "orb" in the lens. We have tried to clean it but apparently the Lecia Lens is leaking and these orbs are getting worse as the trip goes. She has doctored some of them out with photo shop but its a lot of work and not here so pardon the orbs...

Happy dance...

I was trying to figure out this orb too in this shot but no clues at this point......

Favorite ride Bud!!!!

We are happy even if we have caught a case of the orbs....

Obviously not a busy ferry today being Monday. One of the crew told me that for the state of NC to breakeven on the ferry rides, they would have to charge $35 or more per car so THANK YOU TAXPAYERS!!!

Here I meet a super nice guy from Germany. His English was just a bit tough for my ears at first but the more I listened the more I understood. He was obviously a neat guy and he and his traveling companion were on this same ferry. Now, I had no idea we would meet up with them again a few days later...what a small world so there is more to this story and we just swapped e-mail with them yesterday ( 10/30/12!!) See...we meet the greatest people riding the bike!

This bird has a really advanced "green home" here with his solar installation running all his appliances and even charging the batteries for his night flight homing beacon:

Keeping watch on his property...

Well, after a long ride, time to disembark and there is a lot more to this day so I will break here and start segment two later tonight or tomorrow....

Honda XR 70 R

Aarrff screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:21 PM Reason: Just because!