User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Griff OP
alpha lurker

Oddometer: 88
Question Bmw R65ls

Came across a clean example that is priced right up here. I love the Hans Muth design, and was wondering if any of you have had experiences with this model. I love the style, and the simplicity.
What are the strengths and weakness of the platform? Is it a good weekend bike? Thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks!
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
Slow, gotta spin the hell out of the motor to get what little power it has.
The shorter stroke makes it vibrate more than the longer stroke bikes, but that's a reletive thing.
Damn near as reliable as the other BMW twins, but some parts will be a little harder to find.
Ride one. Don't buy into the collector thing, there's a ton of them out there.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
I liked my '81 R65.....'81 onward had electronic ignition and a light flywheel so they revved pretty freely. Still had a nasty buzz at 55-60mph.

Don't overpay for the thing because the resale market is weak.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
The early r65 had some problems, I think the LS came out later. Power is relative, they are nice bikes, plenty of soup for cruising the driftless area. Don't know how much is right up there but they are not known as one of the more collectable airheads. Feel free to PM me for more info, I'm in Madison. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Very cool bike. Fairing similar to the Hans Muth design on the first Suzuki Kan-A-Tuna. Strange to see a design element on a BMW & Japanese bike so similar.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Had an LS for a couple of years back in the early 90's. The R65 is sort of the bastard child of airheads. An undeserved reputation for vibration (really only noticeable around 55-60 mph). Less parts interchangeability with other airheads, but I see plenty of R65s being parted out on Ebay and IBMWR, so not really a concern - - - except for the LS only parts (front end and bodywork). The LS has "sheep in wolfs clothing" performance. It's faster than other R65s in looks only.

About the same problems as other airheads of that era. There's a $1 spring in the transmission that often fails resulting in a big rebuild cost.

R65s are popular chick bikes because standover height is low.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Alchemist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I had one of these and loved it. Yes power is low but boy do they handle when set up right. Even did some two up touring with my wife and we are both aound 6ft. Cramped but fun. And it still looks superb in my view.

Getting more power can be difficult because plugging in an 80 or 100 engine you of course lose groub clearance. A guy here in Australia made a short stroke 800 version but it cost a bomb.

They are quite rare here in Australia. I'd like to get another red one.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote