Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
60CSX Upgrade to Montana?

I have been using the 60CSX for a while now. 100% motorcycle use--70/30 dirt vs street. I use the 24k topo maps and City Navigator. While I still have a lot to learn, I am considering an upgrade. My main goal would be to get a larger display and better viewing in varied lighting. My 60CSX has always been quirky as far as transfers to/from the PC with USB cable. An improvement in this area would be valuable but not absolutely required. In addition to maps I have the hard wire setups for my bikes and a cig lighter power connect. Ram mounts and cradles.

So, any thoughts on the Montana as an upgrade in my situation? Benefits/downsides. Other uni besides Montanat?

Also, does the Montana use any of the same wiring, mounts, cradle?

Thanks a bunch!!
renogeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
So, any thoughts on the Montana as an upgrade in my situation? Benefits/downsides. Other uni besides Montanat?

Also, does the Montana use any of the same wiring, mounts, cradle?
I moved from a 60Cx (which I still have) to a Montana 650T.

Wow, I really like the Montana. Much easier to see and read the screen, as it's larger, the backlight works great in sunlight, and it easy enough to control with gloves on.

Other than the RAM ball mounts that I use on my bikes, nothing transfers over. The cradles are obviously different. I use a Garmin rugged mount and it works very well. It holds the Montana securely and provides power to the GPS. Sorry to say, if you have hard-wired the round 4-pin connector to your bike, you will have to replace it. No biggie for me, I run SAE connector power to the headstock area of all my bikes. From that, it's easy to make an adapter that plugs into the mount.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
I was in exactly the same situation 60cx, motorcycle only, 70/30.

I switched to the Montana. I got a 600 because I wasn't willing to pay for the camera.

There has been quite a learning curve for the Montana. Lots of differences. Still not sure how everything works.

I used the Montana on a 5 day dirt bike trip to SE Utah last week with no problems (except for accidentally erasing 3 days worth of tracks. Need to set archiving to daily which is what the 60 does automatically.

I never had any problem seeing the screen which I used to on the 60 and was my main reason for switching.

I have City Nav, 24k Topos, and 100k Topos. We were following preplanned tracks most of the time, so I kept it CN nearly all the time.

A few times when we missed turns or wanted to make a change I switched to 24k Topos and that worked fine.

One very undesirable feature is that if you turn power off move to a new place and turn power back on, the unit draws a straight line from the last place your were to the new one. This is really annoying.

Anybody know how to defeat this?

So far I am happy with the switch. But I brought the 60 along as a backup.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
DCMC
Supermoto Rider

Oddometer: 78
I own a 60Cx. When I went to play with all of the current Garmin units in a retail store I didn't feel that any of the core functions had improved, like search quality, map readability, redraw speed, or simplicity of completing common tasks. I was 100% convinced that I'd love and want one of the new units, but I ended up just going back home and re-baking a fresh set of City Navigator + 24K topo maps for my most common adventures.

With my new map .IMG file I felt like I had a new GPS. I decided that the best thing for me was to make sure I had the best maps with me, and I'd used my planning time with Basecamp in a smart way. I didn't feel that the new products were worth spending money on.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
One very undesirable feature is that if you turn power off move to a new place and turn power back on, the unit draws a straight line from the last place your were to the new one. This is really annoying.

Anybody know how to defeat this?

So far I am happy with the switch. But I brought the 60 along as a backup.
If you don't want the unit to continue your Track Log when you Power Off create a shortcut that Stops Track Log Recording and takes you to the Track Manager app where you can Save the Current Track and then clear it. Next time you Power On the unit, you'll need a shortcut to Start your Track Log Recording. The problem with "workarounds" is that you can forget.

And, while you're thinking about it send an email to the Montana Team for a Feature Request: Add an End Point to the current Track when the unit is powered off. This could create several tracks in your Daily Archive if you start and stop a lot but it would eliminate those pesky lines when moving between power cycles. It's not failsafe but it would certainly go a long way to fixing this annoying problem.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hello Montana

Thanks guys! The 60CSX is going up for sale with a bunch of 24k Topo maps, cradles, mounts, case, and wiring.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 374
Check your pm
Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you don't want the unit to continue your Track Log when you Power Off create a shortcut that Stops Track Log Recording and takes you to the Track Manager app where you can Save the Current Track and then clear it. Next time you Power On the unit, you'll need a shortcut to Start your Track Log Recording. The problem with "workarounds" is that you can forget. Cheers,
Dan,

Exactly what is wrong with Garmin S/W design group(s). I think groups and they are in different universes and never talk to each other. The 60/76 handles tracks just fine between power off/on, you get Active Log, Active Log 001, etc. and no stupid straight lines. It is also just simple puches to force this with power still on. Page (Track page is next page after Map), move dot to "Off", Enter, back to "On", Enter, Quit and am back to Map page starting new Active Log.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Dan,

Exactly what is wrong with Garmin S/W design group(s). I think groups and they are in different universes and never talk to each other. The 60/76 handles tracks just fine between power off/on, you get Active Log, Active Log 001, etc. and no stupid straight lines. It is also just simple puches to force this with power still on. Page (Track page is next page after Map), move dot to "Off", Enter, back to "On", Enter, Quit and am back to Map page starting new Active Log.
The question is rhetorical I know. As for toggling the Track Log On/Off I do that on my Montana with two button touches.: one to take me to the Main Menu and one to Toggle the Log & take me back to the map. The real issue as I stated is the lack of "power on/off track management" as is done on many past and some newer Garmin devices.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:10 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
The straight lines caused me to accidentally erase 3 days of tracks on our ride last week. We were trucking our bikes from ride to ride. I turned the unit on in the motel to check something and then turned it off. I turned it back on when we started. The straight line would have been on the screen for the first few hours of the ride. Without thinking enough I deleted the Current track. This wiped out all my Current Logs. I guess I thought it would only wipe out that day's data from the motel.

I only had archiving set for weekly. Now I have it set for daily so it kind of acts like the 60. Big lesson learned.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got the Montana

OK. I got the Montana. While I haven't gotten to use it on the bike yet, several good things jump out at me comparing with the 60CSX. The screen size is way bigger--feels like 3X the size. The brightness and legibility in a variety of lighting conditions, including bright sun, is hugely better. The ability to type in a description when in WHERE TO?/FIND is a major convenience compared to scrolling around the 60CSX display to spell. I didn't realize that the Montana allows battery charging in the unit-with the included 120 volt charger. Moving around doesn't seem any more difficult than the 60CSX with a minimal learning curve.

FWIW
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,249
Welcome to the world of the Montana. It's an awesome gps. Make sure you update the software on it with WebUpdater. The latest version, 4.60, is the best to have.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

First Rides

OK. Spent a couple days on the street bike. First road test for the Montana. The screen size and legibility are GREAT. Not just compared to the 60 CSX. I can't imagine needing a bigger screen for anything but real big picture work. The "Where To"/Go To function works great, plots a route to the selected location, just like the 60 CSX. The larger screen allows for the "Dashboard" and still a large enough map area. For the street, I really like the "Large Data" format with time, elevation, speed and direction showing on the dashboard. Even though I hardwire my Montana, I appreciate the ability to charge the internal battery for off bike use with the 120v charger. My 60 CSX batteries were always going dead when I needed them.

Haven't tried routing other than those created with the Go To function. Tracks when I try it on the dirt bikes.

Little bit of a learning curve to move around in the screens--but not bad at all.

FWIW
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I am considering upgrading to the Montana as well. One thing I like about my 60CX is the rugged 4 pin connector I use for charging the GPS while riding.
I also own a zumo 220 that uses a mini usb connection for charging the GPS on my street bike, but I am not sure I that would hold up on my d/s bike.

Does the Montana have any other method of charging the unit other than the mini USB?

Ideally I would like the Montana to replace both.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
Does the Montana have any other method of charging the unit other than the mini USB?

Ideally I would like the Montana to replace both.
Yes, the Montana Rugged Mount powers the gps through surface connectors so it's even better than the 60's 4 pin connector.

And the Rugged Mount's only $35. And lockable. What a bargain.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote