Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post
Thread killer....

Looks like bring the US BMWs here is going to be next to impossible, so we'll be shopping in the spring

im in basel today - weather is good.... go down by the river and take one of the ferries across the river without an engine.

why do you say you cant import the bikes? for some tips join englishforum.ch and make a post in the transport section.. people wll reply with steps you need to take.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
im in basel today - weather is good.... go down by the river and take one of the ferries across the river without an engine.
Today's weather is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
why do you say you cant import the bikes? for some tips join englishforum.ch and make a post in the transport section.. people wll reply with steps you need to take.
I'm already a member there and so far no real help (but they're nice!). The guy at Toff-Center Basel called BMW Schweiz for us and said that because BMW issues different VIN's for US bikes, those won't be allowed in Europe as they are. It is primarily due to keeping the "low cost" US bikes from being imported to Europe and low-balling the Euro dealers. He seemed very sure that our bikes would have no chance of being brought over.

But in the end, we're ok with selling our bikes and buying once we're settled in here. Maybe we can get some pre-spring specials

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:

I'm already a member there and so far no real help (but they're nice!). The guy at Toff-Center Basel called BMW Schweiz for us and said that because BMW issues different VIN's for US bikes, those won't be allowed in Europe as they are. It is primarily due to keeping the "low cost" US bikes from being imported to Europe and low-balling the Euro dealers. He seemed very sure that our bikes would have no chance of being brought over.

But in the end, we're ok with selling our bikes and buying once we're settled in here. Maybe we can get some pre-spring specials

ah the toff centre - or the toss centre as i call it and the most un helpful dealer i have ever met, and im not the only one with the same feelings, the service dept also has no clue that they need to use moly grease on the 1200 shaft - they use normal grease !

if you want to keep your bikes do a bit more digging as i dont see any reason you can not bring your bikes over, people do it with cars all the time

also this might have explanation on your answer from bmw switzerland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18186978

fluff34567 screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 07:44 AM
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:

Depending on what type of work or reason you are coming over, there might be a way for you to purchase through the same program that the US Military does. Just throwing it out there as an option. Can discuss it more via PM if you guys are interested.
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
Depending on what type of work or reason you are coming over, there might be a way for you to purchase through the same program that the US Military does. Just throwing it out there as an option. Can discuss it more via PM if you guys are interested.
Purchasing through a special program? That would be interesting to hear about. Please, tell me more

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica View Post
Exellent! I live in USA but keep a bike in Heidelberg. I have ridden through Switzerland several times. Good to know there is someone local willing to offer advice. Welcome!
Another happy customer of Stephan's I assume
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I love Switzerland!! I've vacationed there are few times in the Lauterbrunnen area to enjoy the fantastic hiking. A few years ago I began motorcycling and now I'm ready to combine Switzerland with motorcycles for the ultimate vacation.

I hope to pick everyone's brain about a good place to rent bikes and the must-ride mountain roads.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote