Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,563
I went with the Speigler SS braided line [clear covered to avoid abraision of paint] , the improvement was,,,,dramatic. To me it's a no brainer. I installed the Speigler lines on my Laverda Jota and the improvement was just as dramatic.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
according to Goodyear ... below is lowest expansion hydraulic hose on the market. no mention of stainless lines. someone is blowing smoke, don't think it's Goodyear.

GY 5055 SAE J1401 Super Low Expanson Hydraulic Brake Hose
As far as we know, GY5055 is the lowest volumetric expansion hose in the market. Provides exceptional performance to enhance braking response. 40% less than regular low expansion "HL" hoses.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,546
There's a brand new R100GS SS line in the flea market here for $50 today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
according to Goodyear ... below is lowest expansion hydraulic hose on the market. no mention of stainless lines. someone is blowing smoke, don't think it's Goodyear.

GY 5055 SAE J1401 Super Low Expanson Hydraulic Brake Hose
As far as we know, GY5055 is the lowest volumetric expansion hose in the market. Provides exceptional performance to enhance braking response. 40% less than regular low expansion "HL" hoses.

That's all well and good. But can you get these for 10 bucks a foot in custom lengths? Better yet can you as a DIY wrench build one yourself with simple tools?

I the that that bang for your buck stainless brake line especially if you roll your own are the way to go.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
That's all well and good. But can you get these for 10 bucks a foot in custom lengths? Better yet can you as a DIY wrench build one yourself with simple tools?

I the that that bang for your buck stainless brake line especially if you roll your own are the way to go.
no but I got a set of custom lines built by a local brake & clutch shop for R90S, two hoses for $43. super solid, no hint of mush.

when comparing 30 years old lines against new Stainless lines. of course there will be a huge improvement.

one can get the same improvement with replacing with new SAE spec hose, which probably has a layer of steel mesh inside.

if both lines have super low expansion, then your brakes will perform the best it's capable of.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
I think the Goodyear's caveat 'as far as we know . . . ' speaks volumes. I highly suspect they are not comparing them to steel braided teflon lines. It sounds to me as if they are comparing rubber lines with rubber lines. Surely some are better than others. Personally, I am not comparing steel braided lines to 30 year old rubber lines. I have put too many sets of steel braided lines on brand new bikes for that. Steel braided works better than any rubber line I have replaced. I consider service life too. No matter what is reinforcing the rubber, it is still rubber. Rubber lines do not last near as long as teflon. Run rubber if you want but better? I'll let everybody know if I ever come across that.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
check motobins for a SS line or Rennsport Auto for a custom line. I just had a 93" brale line made up and it was about $47 shipped to my door......why pay more??
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote