ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #76
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Alright, let's see if this works.



Edit: cool; that worked. Below, (a) turning over 200K, (b) signed by Miguel Galluzzi, the designer of the Monster, (c) featured in Motorcyclist Dec 2009.





PhilB
Awesome! The bike looks fantastic!

Now we'll be expecting photos all the time.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #77
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Awesome! The bike looks fantastic!

Now we'll be expecting photos all the time.
I added a few to the "YOUR Italian Bike Thread" in the Road Warriors sub-forum.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #78
Gham
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gham's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Auburn Hills,MI.
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
Well, it's "mostly" a style thing, but many guys I know who are in that category, (and they'll never admit this), wear those leather vests to keep their T-shirts from flapping up in the wind and exposing their big bellies....and to hold patches.
I wear a vest over my blue jean jacket,otherwise it will blow up and act like a kite

I tip the scales around 200+ but if the wind gusts just right my ass will lift right off the seat.
__________________
Member 6204

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #79
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
danh600's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I believe there is a complicated and highly clichéd questionnaire which must be completed before I can answer that loaded question, but based on your mileage my initial pre-assessment answer is no. But since I am also an accountant, I'll have to crunch the numbers first.

1.) Do you ride a Harley?
2.) Do you wear only a Harley-branded bandana as safety equipment?
3.) Do you wear a Harley-branded leather vest?
4.) Do you ride only on weekends?
5.) Do you stop at every bar?
6.) Do you ride only when the weather is nice?
7.) Are you mean to accountants who don't ride a Harley, like me?
8.) Will you and your friends run me down and beat the living snot out of me if I pass your group on a curvy road?
9.) Do you have an annual "Harley chrome" budget on a spreadsheet?

If you can answer "No" to any question above, then you are not a poseur.

Ride on.
I feel better. I answered no to all the above. However, I do have to admit most of my riding is weekend riding. I can't seem to convince my bosses that I need to take weeks off at a time to go riding.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #80
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
I feel better. I answered no to all the above. However, I do have to admit most of my riding is weekend riding. I can't seem to convince my bosses that I need to take weeks off at a time to go riding.
You have to call in sick with something that sounds really serious. "Hey, boss... yeah, I don't think I'm gonna make it in to work today. I'm not feeling so well. I think it's 2-week Galactorrhea. And it might be contagious."

Look up Galactorrhea. You'll thank me for it.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #81
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
You have to call in sick with something that sounds really serious. "Hey, boss... yeah, I don't think I'm gonna make it in to work today. I'm not feeling so well. I think it's 2-week Galactorrhea. And it might be contagious."

Look up Galactorrhea. You'll thank me for it.
I had an idea of what it was just based on the "lacto-" part of the word. Yup, it's what I thought it was. If I were your boss, I'd make you stay home, too!
__________________
--------------------------- Steve----------------------------------------
'93 GL1500 frankenbike basketcase in progress
'96 DR350SE
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #82
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,968
We had a vendor booth at BBB. I work rallies.

In the past we've had horrible luck at "Harley" rallies as most all are trying to look cooler than thou. They would just scoff at the idea of looking at a map and planing a ride. That's not what tough guys do.

If they did stop in, someone inevitably would say "just looking, but i know all the roads anyway" We of course know this to be bogus (we still find new roads) but would be nice and show them what we offer. Most of the time they would be impressed and see some new roads, yet still not pay $15 for a map when they spend more than that on a doo rag. Harley is about image not riding to most of these groups. I've sat there and wondered, would you wear that goofy get up on any other day of the year??? For most the answer was probably no.

The HD guys who were interested in the maps/rides/new routes would be the old school guys who did ride and alot. A good map was valuable to them as they were not the GPS type. These guys were however far and few between with most of the guys putting on their newer looking colors (their HD gear) and playing up the whole HD image thing. These guys are just trying to be the coolest guy ever and was only interested in bikes, beer and boobs. They are non-riders who show off on the weekend.

My standard question at a rally is always what do you ride? That's what it's all about right, riding motorcycles??? Can't tell ya home many times people would come up all HD vest/doo-ragged out and say they don't ride. My brain would just be screaming wtf dude??? Sure not everyone rides, but at non-HD rallies people did not dress up pretending they did. Like i said, it's ALL about the image #1 and riding down the line for most. Kinda sad and so yes not about being an individual but following the crowd. The irony is over the top.

...this is what we've found at rallies in the rockies.

BBB was different and surprising. Yes it was most all HD but the crowd was alot more friendly and alot less attitude. People were interested in what we did and we sold a ton of maps. The local ones knew some of the roads but wanted to learn about more. In the rockies states the rides knew their route and their bar and it ended there. I'd also say AR being in the mid-west people are friendlier overall. The more you move west the more the cool guy stand-off attitude a HD biker takes on.

As for the BBB rally, it was the most organized & well run we've ever worked.
I meet alot of guys who were not HD or who owned a HD plus many other bikes too and were willing to talk about em. Sure there was still attitude, but ALOT less than other rallies.

Like all the other Harley rallies, in the end most of the buyers were women. Women want to know where they are going and will pay for that info. Stereotypically men just drive around lost and missing a great road. Had many guys tell me they would just poke around down any road that popped up and they'd see what came up. I'd say for $15, you could do alot better staying on top-shelf roads. Many declined because it wasn't cool to buy a map or they didn't care to ride great roads. Not sure? But humorous how ego can screw us up. If a couple was together, most often the women would buy it for her husband and he'd just grunt away with his map.
I'm sure at night away from everyone else looking he'd pull it out.

At non-harley rallies, it was mostly men buying maps.

In the end we'll be back!
We've decided BBB is our only Harley-centric rally we'll ever do again.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 01:10 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #83
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
We had a vendor booth at BBB. I work rallies.

In the past we've had horrible luck at "Harley" rallies as most all are trying to look cooler than thou. They would just scoff at the idea of looking at a map and planing a ride. That's not what tough guys do.

If they did stop in, someone inevitably would say "just looking, but i know all the roads anyway" We of course know this to be bogus (we still find new roads) but would be nice and show them what we offer. Most of the time they would be impressed and see some new roads, yet still not pay $15 for a map when they spend more than that on a doo rag. Harley is about image not riding to most of these groups. I've sat there and wondered, would you wear that goofy get up on any other day of the year??? For most the answer was probably no.

The HD guys who were interested in the maps/rides/new routes would be the old school guys who did ride and alot. A good map was valuable to them as they were not the GPS type. These guys were however far and few between with most of the guys putting on their newer looking colors (their HD gear) and playing up the whole HD image thing. These guys are just trying to be the coolest guy ever and was only interested in bikes, beer and boobs. They are non-riders who show off on the weekend.

My standard question at a rally is always what do you ride? That's what it's all about right, riding motorcycles??? Can't tell ya home many times people would come up all HD vest/doo-ragged out and say they don't ride. My brain would just be screaming wtf dude??? Sure not everyone rides, but at non-HD rallies people did not dress up pretending they did. Like i said, it's ALL about the image #1 and riding down the line for most. Kinda sad and so yes not about being an individual but following the crowd. The irony is over the top.

...this is what we've found at rallies in the rockies.

BBB was different and surprising. Yes it was most all HD but the crowd was alot more friendly and alot less attitude. People were interested in what we did and we sold a ton of maps. The local ones knew some of the roads but wanted to learn about more. In the rockies states the rides knew their route and their bar and it ended there. I'd also say AR being in the mid-west people are friendlier overall. The more you move west the more the cool guy stand-off attitude a HD biker takes on.

As for the BBB rally, it was the most organized & well run we've ever worked.
I meet alot of guys who were not HD or who owned a HD plus many other bikes too and were willing to talk about em. Sure there was still attitude, but ALOT less than other rallies.

Like all the other Harley rallies, in the end most of the buyers were women. Women want to know where they are going and will pay for that info. Stereotypically men just drive around lost and missing a great road. Had many guys tell me they would just poke around down any road that popped up and they'd see what came up. I'd say for $15, you could do alot better staying on top-shelf roads. Many declined because it wasn't cool to buy a map or they didn't care to ride great roads. Not sure? But humorous how ego can screw us up. If a couple was together, most often the women would buy it for her husband and he'd just grunt away with his map.
I'm sure at night away from everyone else looking he'd pull it out.

At non-harley rallies, it was mostly men buying maps.

In the end we'll be back!
We've decided BBB is our only Harley-centric rally we'll ever do again.
Thanks for sharing your experience at the rally, and I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. I agree with you, too... most of the riders around here are pretty nice guys, and they're usually looking for pretty good roads. I've been around here since 1983 and I still find new roads to ride throughout northern Arkansas and southern Missouri.

To my eternal shame, I keep some of these roads secret so I don't have to share them. Don't tell anyone.

And in their defense, I like bikes, beer, and boobs, also. Maybe not in that order. But hey... it's bikes and beer and boobs!!! That's America right there!!!
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #84
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience at the rally, and I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. I agree with you, too... most of the riders around here are pretty nice guys, and they're usually looking for pretty good roads. I've been around here since 1983 and I still find new roads to ride throughout northern Arkansas and southern Missouri.

To my eternal shame, I keep some of these roads secret so I don't have to share them. Don't tell anyone.

And in their defense, I like bikes, beer, and boobs, also. Maybe not in that order. But hey... it's bikes and beer and boobs!!! That's America right there!!!
your welcome. we had a great time.

nothing wrong with bikes, beer and boob fo sho but it's hard to talk about maps when that's all you have on your mind and can't have an adult conversation too. lots of arrested development going on @ HD rallies.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #85
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
your welcome. we had a great time.

nothing wrong with bikes, beer and boob fo sho but it's hard to talk about maps when that's all you have on your mind and can't have an adult conversation too. lots of arrested development going on @ HD rallies.



Try offering a free beer with each map purchase, and print some high-definition 1080p 3-D boobs on the front. Or a naked chick on a Harley. Marketing opportunity, maybe?
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #86
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
You have to call in sick with something that sounds really serious. "Hey, boss... yeah, I don't think I'm gonna make it in to work today. I'm not feeling so well. I think it's 2-week Galactorrhea. And it might be contagious."

Look up Galactorrhea. You'll thank me for it.
I'm going to call the Senior Operations Paramedic tomorrow and tell him I have Anal Glaucoma and that I just can't see my ass going to work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
C-Stain is wise.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #87
betar15
n00b
 
betar15's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oddometer: 6
What kind of new jacket were you looking for?
__________________
Reprobater
betar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #88
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by betar15 View Post
What kind of new jacket were you looking for?
The BMW motorcycle dealer in Bentonville carries Olympia, so I wanted to try on the sizing/fit of the Olympia AST 2 jacket. They had a Large (too small) and and XXL (a little to big), but at least I got to see the jacket, look at the details, try it on for size, that sort of thing.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #89
betar15
n00b
 
betar15's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oddometer: 6
The AST 2 is a nice jacket. I have the Olympia Viper jacket, (same as the Air glide but with heavier cordura) and am very happy with it, I don't think they make it anymore though. Seems as if they fit true to size so XL sounds like the one for you.

My local BMW dealer carries a small selection, as does another independant dealer but I ended up ordering online. Not too many places carry Olympia.

I enjoyed your trip report.
__________________
Reprobater
betar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #90
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by betar15 View Post
The AST 2 is a nice jacket. I have the Olympia Viper jacket, (same as the Air glide but with heavier cordura) and am very happy with it, I don't think they make it anymore though. Seems as if they fit true to size so XL sounds like the one for you.

My local BMW dealer carries a small selection, as does another independant dealer but I ended up ordering online. Not too many places carry Olympia.

I enjoyed your trip report.
I've looked at a lot of jackets, and I think I'll end up buying an Olympia AST 2. For the money, I think it's a great jacket.

My only dilemma now is: buy from the local guy: $350 plus tax. Or buy online: I can get it 10% off thru Motorcycle Superstore and no tax. That saves me about $65 bucks if I order online.
__________________
I will be the last person to die in my lifetime.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014