User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
wiznas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
R65 really spotty starting

Bought this R65 last week. Some days it starts up within one or two cranks, some days it starts after very lengthy crank sessions, somedays I can't start it all. It has started on the first crank as cold as 60 degrees. For the first 30 minutes or so of a ride (even on a good day) the bike will not stably idle and I need to keep a touch of gas on at all times. Pretty heavy vibrations as well. Today (balmy 74 degrees F) the bike started after an agonizing 15 minutes of cranking, I revved it in neutral for 5 minutes and slowly let it into 1st gear, where it stalled, died and refused to restart.

From what I've read a carb rebuild kit is the first item on the to do list. Should I mess with the timing first? Or do anything before a carb rebuild? I'm not mechanically inclined but would like to become so (one of the reasons I bought the bike) Is there a really good thread for noobies rebuilding these carburetors? PO has yet to send me the Haynes as promised, so I was hoping to find a good how-to here.
wiznas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Checking and adjusting ignition timing and valve clearances come before carbs. Easy and quick jobs. My guess is that you will need at least a basic carb cleaning if not a more thorough overhaul, but you might get lucky by dropping the float bowls and cleaning out any debris paying particular attention to the fuel enricher pick up that is hidden in one corner. You should be able to find a bunch of online sources to guide you through a carb clean/rebuild. Nothing really difficult if you pay attenion to the details.

Current Rides: 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT
Past Rides: 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1985 BMW R65 : 1976 Moby X7
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,266
I'll second the timing check and valve adjustment. do those things first, then see how it runs. from what you describe, it sounds like the valves are a bit tight. best to do the FREE things first, then spend money later if it needs it!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 31,932
When the cylinder heads are cold, you have to crack the throttle slightly when starting. I hope you are doing that.

Don't rebuild the carbs until you blow the junk out of the cold-start jet in each float bowl. I'm betting they are plugged (because someone left fuel in them) and leaning out your mixture.

ps-Wear safety glasses when you squirt carb cleaner down that hole.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 301
Best deal for a noobie airhead owner who wants to become proficient mechanically is a tech session. Consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club (google it) for starters....the monthly newsletter contains notices of tech sessions. Meanwhile, there should be a friendly Virginia airhead out there willing to show you the ropes. If it were me, I'd start with a valve adjustment.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
When the cylinder heads are cold, you have to crack the throttle slightly when starting. I hope you are doing that.

Don't rebuild the carbs until you blow the junk out of the cold-start jet in each float bowl. I'm betting they are plugged (because someone left fuel in them) and leaning out your mixture.

ps-Wear safety glasses when you squirt carb cleaner down that hole.
Don't look into the carb hole while spraying, do it outside, and hold the carb sideways.

It BURNS!!!!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
wiznas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
thanks a million!

Roger on valves, I'll get to them first. I also love the idea of a tech day with the Airheads Beemer Club I hope they do one in Virginia at some point. Don't look through the jets as I blast carb cleaner through, check.
wiznas is offline   Reply With Quote