ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #13186
Kermit13
Is that suppose to smoke?

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Maybe 83->82 sonoita to patagonia to nogales. Unfortunately it seems to me like you need to ride 100 miles from tucson just to get to any good roads if curves are taking a priority over scenery.
Yep, it is a bit out of the way, 191 (old Route 666) is arguably the best set of twisties in the State.

83 is pretty good, it is paved all the way to Parker Canyon Lake. Though the little section to Parker is an out and back if you're a street only guy. Some great loops down there other wise.

He could shoot over to Mount Graham and go the long way through Sonoita, Sierra Vista, etc...or up Kitt Peak, hit Gates Pass and McCain loop on the way over....some boring straights to get to Kitt though.

Not super twisty, there is the Catalina-Florence-Kearny-Mammoth loop....watch for cops between Mammoth-Oracle-Catalina-Oro Valley.

Kermit13 screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 12:02 PM
Kermit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #13187
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,472
Hey Kermit, I just bought an older GG EC 300.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #13188
Kermit13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Hey Kermit, I just bought an older GG EC 300.
Nice! I am diggin' mine.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #13189
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Maybe 83->82 sonoita to patagonia to nogales. Unfortunately it seems to me like you need to ride 100 miles from tucson just to get to any good roads if curves are taking a priority over scenery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit13 View Post
Yep, it is a bit out of the way, 191 (old Route 666) is arguably the best set of twisties in the State.

83 is pretty good, it is paved all the way to Parker Canyon Lake. Though the little section to Parker is an out and back if you're a street only guy. Some great loops down there other wise.

He could shoot over to Mount Graham and go the long way through Sonoita, Sierra Vista, etc...or up Kitt Peak, hit Gates Pass and McCain loop on the way over....some boring straights to get to Kitt though.

Not super twisty, there is the Catalina-Florence-Kearny-Mammoth loop....watch for cops between Mammoth-Oracle-Catalina-Oro Valley.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #13190
Kermit13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Thanks! I'll check them out.

You're welcome.

Usually those routes get a little crowded on the weekends, if you can, hit them on the weekdays.

I would do single clockwise loop the 191 ride, from Showlow to Payson over to Prescott then head South back to Tucson. It made for a long day, but some damn nice scenery and twisties.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #13191
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 520
Springerville to Morenci (191 going south) is a tad more challenging than riding it uphill; although, I usually ride it both ways. You might take 78 east (a bit south of Clifton) to 180 and go north on 180 to Alpine if you don't want to ride both directions. Much of 78 is twisty, too. The fire kept us from doing that this spring.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #13192
BritOnTwoWheels
n00b

Oddometer: 4
NW Tucson rides?

I'm not new to biking but I am new to this forum. I'm in NW Tucson and would like to meet up for weekend rides if anyone is interested - either off-road with my KLR650 or longer road tours with my Connie.

I did the Tucson / Wilcox / Safford / Clifton / Eagar / Show Low / Payson / Globe / Oro Valley loop last year on the Connie ... Clifton to Eagar was the best part. I have also done the back road up Mount Lemon and Reddington Pass a few times on the KLR (amongst other things).

I have a question about AZ law, OHV stickers and riding on State Trust Land. Service Arizona suggests that I don't need (and can't get) a OHV sticker on my KLR because it is primarily a "street" bike ... but signs at the entrance to State Trust Lands (Tortolita Mountains) show that OHV stickers are required, as well as a State Land Recreational Use Permit. What is the law? Anyone?
BritOnTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #13193
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
I have an OHV decal for my KLR as well as regular tags. Many people say to register as an off road vehicle in order to not pay the regular tags. If you are riding on State Trust Land you should have the decal. I am not worried about the $25/yr extra price tag so I can go wherever I want.

Ron
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #13194
TwoRats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOnTwoWheels View Post
I have a question about AZ law, OHV stickers and riding on State Trust Land. Service Arizona suggests that I don't need (and can't get) a OHV sticker on my KLR because it is primarily a "street" bike ... but signs at the entrance to State Trust Lands (Tortolita Mountains) show that OHV stickers are required, as well as a State Land Recreational Use Permit. What is the law? Anyone?
I have an AZ OHV sticker on my 950 Adventure. You need only this sticker to ride on State Trust lands - as long as you stay on marked roads. You need the special permit only if you stray off of them. I was confused about all this also until I spoke to the AZ Game and Fish peep at last year's Overland Expo in Flagstaff.
TwoRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #13195
Godzillat2
Clown on mini bike

Oddometer: 6
I'm a newbee too........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOnTwoWheels View Post
I'm not new to biking but I am new to this forum. I'm in NW Tucson and would like to meet up for weekend rides if anyone is interested - either off-road with my KLR650 or longer road tours with my Connie.

I did the Tucson / Wilcox / Safford / Clifton / Eagar / Show Low / Payson / Globe / Oro Valley loop last year on the Connie ... Clifton to Eagar was the best part. I have also done the back road up Mount Lemon and Reddington Pass a few times on the KLR (amongst other things).

I'm building up a DR650 for dirt riding around southern AZ. Hope to meet some people through this thread. I also ride a '10 Connie. A great alternate to the road ride you mentioned is Three Way to Glenwood, Reserve, then over to Alpine. In either direction it is an awesome ride on the C14. Not as demanding as Clifton to Eager, but great fun otherwise.
Godzillat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #13196
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 520
Rattle can blues

I missed the fact that the tank and muffler needed touchup painting yesterday when I painted the subframe.
So, I'm waiting for paint to dry before finishing reassemble. Finding that the subframe had completely broken off and that the rear fender was being supported by the rack was a bit of a surprise.

The broken off part:

After Neil welded it up and I painted it:

I expect to go ridng tomorrow.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #13197
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
I missed the fact that the tank and muffler needed touchup painting yesterday when I painted the subframe.
So, I'm waiting for paint to dry before finishing reassemble. Finding that the subframe had completely broken off and that the rear fender was being supported by the rack was a bit of a surprise.

The broken off part:

After Neil welded it up and I painted it:

I expect to go ridng tomorrow.
Great to see you're back in gear! Pretty crazy about the subframe

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #13198
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,080
You go to DMV and register your bike as Primarily off road. I had my KLR650 registered that way for years. It also dropped my registration fees to around $6.00/yr plus the $25.00 OHV fee.

It is what ever you say your bike is... now I couldn't get away with saying my Venture 1300 was primarily off road, but why would I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRats View Post
I have an AZ OHV sticker on my 950 Adventure. You need only this sticker to ride on State Trust lands - as long as you stay on marked roads. You need the special permit only if you stray off of them. I was confused about all this also until I spoke to the AZ Game and Fish peep at last year's Overland Expo in Flagstaff.
1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #13199
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Here is a link to our New Mexico Adventure ride last weekend.

Route: Redington, Cascabel, 3 Links, Willcox, Hot Dunes, Hackberry, Duncan
Silver City, Lake Roberts, Snow Lake, Mogollon, Safford, 3 Links, Redington
Distance: 650 miles

Play slideshow

below is the return route

Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #13200
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Here is a link to our New Mexico Adventure ride last weekend.

Route: Redington, Cascabel, 3 Links, Willcox, Hot Dunes, Hackberry, Duncan
Silver City, Lake Roberts, Snow Lake, Mogollon, Safford, 3 Links, Redington
Distance: 650 miles

Play slideshow

below is the return route

DesertDuster screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 11:24 PM
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote