ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Ktm spongy front brakes

This is the link to the tread on ktm talk.


http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtop...o%20bolt&st=30

"If you remove the banjo bolt and locate a drill bit the same size as the original hole (pretty close anyway) and use the original hole as a drill guide just go thru the other side of the bolt. The third and forth holes can be easily eyeballed but need to be drilled with a smaller size drill bit. Just go easy and take your time.

I personally drilled the cross set of holes since the bolt was out and I had an extra bolt if I blew it, but I suspect even adding the hole opposite the original might even be enough.

As a pointer for easy drilling use the drills that are known as split points. These will begin cutting easily without walking around. If they aren't available you'll likely want to either use a pilot drill or since the holes is small, slightly center punch the spot you want.

Travis posted a good find that's almost free and very easy to do. It will likely take longer to remove and install the bolt than to drill it. And when you tighten it remember it doesn't hold the rear shock on."

note only use 2mm drill bit, otherwise the bolt will break when tightened.

Basically that banjo bolt has only one hole and sometimes when that hole is not in the correct position there is an air bubble that is trapped. No amount of bleeding will remove that bubble. Also don't drill to many holes.

I also have a fix for the rear axle block cracking on our ktm's, is simple, cheap, lasts long and is very sturdy.
I will make a new thread on this one when i am home during my Nov Jan vacation.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
I must admit i have not tried it yet, but i will during my vacation. After i do a lot of this. and this
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
jar944
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 539
None of my KTM's have spongy brakes.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Mine does, its just when that banjo bolt's hole is in the wrong position as to trap an air bubble.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
you sure do have a lot of ktm.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Okay guys i tried this fix and so far so good. I will go riding tomorrow and see if it stays like that . I CAN'T WAIT!
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reino View Post
This is the link to the tread on ktm talk.


http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtop...o%20bolt&st=30

"If you remove the banjo bolt and locate a drill bit the same size as the original hole (pretty close anyway) and use the original hole as a drill guide just go thru the other side of the bolt. The third and forth holes can be easily eyeballed but need to be drilled with a smaller size drill bit. Just go easy and take your time.

I personally drilled the cross set of holes since the bolt was out and I had an extra bolt if I blew it, but I suspect even adding the hole opposite the original might even be enough.

As a pointer for easy drilling use the drills that are known as split points. These will begin cutting easily without walking around. If they aren't available you'll likely want to either use a pilot drill or since the holes is small, slightly center punch the spot you want.

Travis posted a good find that's almost free and very easy to do. It will likely take longer to remove and install the bolt than to drill it. And when you tighten it remember it doesn't hold the rear shock on."

note only use 2mm drill bit, otherwise the bolt will break when tightened.

Basically that banjo bolt has only one hole and sometimes when that hole is not in the correct position there is an air bubble that is trapped. No amount of bleeding will remove that bubble. Also don't drill to many holes.

I also have a fix for the rear axle block cracking on our ktm's, is simple, cheap, lasts long and is very sturdy.
I will make a new thread on this one when i am home during my Nov Jan vacation.

If you use a syringe to bleed brakes there is no need for this, and no chance of the banjo bolt snapping when its being tightened.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you use a syringe to bleed brakes there is no need for this, and no chance of the banjo bolt snapping when its being tightened.

When the banjo bolt is not in the correct position it does not matter what method you use to bleed the brakes, you can not flush the air bubble out. That is why the mod works, the nissan MS used to replace the standard brembo MS has more than one hole.

This has been documented on the interweb and this fix is apparently the solution to the problem, later today I am going to the mx track to test my brakes and I will report back on the findings.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Been out riding today and this mod worked no more front brake worries!
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 727
hmmm... I've had spongy brakes on my gasgas and no amount of bleeding seemed to change it. It's the only bike I've ever had this problem with, might be worth a try. Worst case I'll have to buy a new banjo bolt and remove the remains of the old one!
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 9,441
A small bungey cord keeping pressure on the lever while parked also works.
__________________
640E, MXC200, XT200
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
hmmm... I've had spongy brakes on my gasgas and no amount of bleeding seemed to change it. It's the only bike I've ever had this problem with, might be worth a try. Worst case I'll have to buy a new banjo bolt and remove the remains of the old one!
When i took out the banjo bolt, i noticed it isn't so weak as i thought. It wont break, as long as you stick with making 3 holes only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
A small bungey cord keeping pressure on the lever while parked also works.
That did not work for me, nothing gets rid of the bubble. It can 't go up into the resiguar, because its trapped in the bolt.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.

Reino screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 11:58 PM
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reino View Post
When the banjo bolt is not in the correct position it does not matter what method you use to bleed the brakes, you can not flush the air bubble out. That is why the mod works, the nissan MS used to replace the standard brembo MS has more than one hole.

This has been documented on the interweb and this fix is apparently the solution to the problem, later today I am going to the mx track to test my brakes and I will report back on the findings.
I have used the syringe method to bleed dirt bike brakes maybe 500 times, and up to now never had a single problem, so wont be risking a broken banjo bolt for no reason.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
Reino OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I have used the syringe method to bleed dirt bike brakes maybe 500 times, and up to now never had a single problem, so wont be risking a broken banjo bolt for no reason.
nissin blots have more than one hole

I have used this method only, its the best way to bleed the brakes. But it did not help, like in The Letter J's case. This is brake system specific (brembo) problem.

You will not have the same problem on bike that has the nissin brake system. and the banjo bolt is thick enough to not break, if you break the bolt you must have torqued that thing so that hercules could not loosen it.







Look at the photos, they are quite thick. Also like i said THIS IS AN DOCUMENTED FIX.
__________________
Current bikes 2006 250sx and 1983 tt600

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014