User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
5 speed shift mechanism removal

Howdy all, I'm knee deep in replacing bearings and whatever else in my '81 5 speed tranny.
I'm up to removing the shift mechanism. When I start to undo the two bolts on the front of the tranny, they are not screwing out.
Instead, it appears that the shift mechanism is moving rearward as the bolts undo. I can see this leading to potential disaster.
I haven't undone the bolts more than two turns but I can clearly see that the bolts are not coming out.

How do I go about this?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,204
If i understand youy correctly, that's normal. The bolt shanks fit tight there.

Be sure and check your one shifter cam for the gear coming loose from the cam. It should be rock solid but they do often wear in that the gear wallars loose from the cam.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not quite sure what you mean SS but no doubt I will when I see it.

The bolt shanks are tight, which is what prevents them from screwing out of the tranny housing.

What I'm trying to say is difficult to convey.........

Should the two bolts in the front of the tranny that hold the shift mechanism screw out of the housing in order to remove the shift mechanism?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
ME109, I just checked my disassembled 5 speed and in my case one bolt will go into one hole easily the second bolt wont go in either hole which tells me it must be a tight fit. I can feel some dried grease or sealer build up on the bolt shanks. It has been disassembled for years.

Heat the housing around the bolts and they should come out easily. The aluminum will expand faster then the steel bolts.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,254
Unscrew one bolt with the other holding the shift mechanism in place. The one bolt will come out. Don't remove it all the way, put it back in./ Unscrew the two bolt with the one bolt holding the shift mechanism in place. Now that both are loose remove the bolts.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
Heat the housing around the bolts and they should come out easily. The aluminum will expand faster then the steel bolts.
I did use some heat from a heat gun but perhaps it needs more. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Unscrew one bolt with the other holding the shift mechanism in place. The one bolt will come out. Don't remove it all the way, put it back in./ Unscrew the two bolt with the one bolt holding the shift mechanism in place. Now that both are loose remove the bolts.
I considered doing it that way but thought there may be a chance of snapping the 'alloy frame'.

It pays to ask the questions first.

I will have another crack at it tonight after I finish work.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
supershaft
because I can

They fit tight so the shifter won't walk and the oil won't leak. I just back the shifter off evenly and then get the bolts out however. Tap the ends if need be. I think I usually back them out with an air ratchet.

The one shifter cam has a gear attatched to it. The gear often works loose from the cam. It causes notchy shifting.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
They fit tight so the shifter won't walk and the oil won't leak. I just back the shifter off evenly and then get the bolts out however. Tap the ends if need be. I think I usually back them out with an air ratchet.

The one shifter cam has a gear attatched to it. The gear often works loose from the cam. It causes notchy shifting.
I think I'm with you now on the shifter cam now.

The problem I saw with forging ahead undoing the bolts was that the shifter forks are hooked up in the shifter mechanism and could be damaged if not disconnected from the mechanism, so to speak.

Time to go to work.....
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

I think I just pull the shifter forks' shaft out first. I really don't remember for sure. There's a couple of different ways to do it and not get into any trouble. It sounds like you are aware that there are even more ways to get into trouble. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

All apart and on the bench.

I heated the housing around one bolt, undid the bolt while leaving the other one tight (Thanks disston)
Then heated the casing around the remaining bolt and undid it a couple of turns, then tapped the mechanism back into place and repeated until the mechanism came free.

I was able to pull the double shift fork shaft enough to get it out of the way, but the single fork shaft stayed put.

Thanks for your help chaps.