User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
uechi58 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
One lap around Maine. Is it possible?

I'm not a newbie to riding or trips, as my odometer indicates, just new to posting. I'm trying to plan a trip that covers the entire border of Maine, but as I've discovered, once you get up north to around Fort Kent, there is no way to go west unless you go into Canada and hug the border. Other than getting onto logging roads is there any way to accomplish this? I'm riding an F650GS.
uechi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,388
Why not use the logging roads? I've never ridden them on a bike, but they'd be fine on a GS. Better hurry, the weather's going to shit.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
uechi58 OP
Adventurer

I've read other threads that indicate the logging roads are off limits and you will be turned away if going through check points. I'd love to do the entire trip on dirt if I could, but I don't want to be 100 miles from no where and have to turn back.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Just came back from a Maine trip. Planned for months and did a bunch of research. The north Maine woods and the appalachian mountain club is strictly off limits, there are manned checkpoints. Their property is quite substantial and they mean business. Go to their website for a map of the land they control. Crudely described, you will see that if looked at like a clock, you aren't allowed from 9-12 along the border of Maine as they own that property. I'm told that the Canada side is more populated as it is south land for them. I can't find the link on my mobile but in tracks east look for the northern New England trail, very good starting point. Any questions shoot me a pm, keep in mind I broke my leg badly on the trip and was rescued while out in the boonies. I strongly recommend goin with others, spot tracker on your shoulder at the least

Beautiful state, enjoy.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
uechi58 OP
Adventurer

Thanks Devo, that's what I suspected. Sucks about the crash. Did someone come across you or were you able to make a call? How did you get the bike out? Your comment about the SPOT is (sorry) "spot on". I'll most likely bring my son along, who is strong enough to carry me & the bike out.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,374
You are SOL on the North Maine woods. But yes....go through Canada and visit my old neighborhood. Pretty there and you can do a heck of a lot of gravel back roads.

If you can....stop for Pizza in Jackman Maine you won't regret that. Very nice riding up or down that way anyway along the Kennebec River.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
uechi58 OP
Adventurer

I've heard that Jackman is very nice riding. A few people I work with snowmobile up there. I'll check out the pizza place. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechi58 View Post
I've heard that Jackman is very nice riding. A few people I work with snowmobile up there. I'll check out the pizza place. Thanks for the tip!
Nice riding in Quebec from lets say the Pohenegamook border crossing then west toward the Armstrong crossing. Lots of gravel back roads that will connect but don't trust a GPS there too much. I much prefer the gravel there anyway, the paved roads are sometimes in very bad shape.

Pizza easy to find in Jackman, not much else there. But all the food is good at the general store/restaurant/gas station/motel etc...etc....!

On "main street" Jackman Maine....!

http://www.bishopsstore.com/
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,921
I did Maine earlier in the summer. I went to Jackman, then routed via dirt to Pittston farm with visions of going East via dirt to North East Carry (northern corner of Moosehead) OR just use the dirt to get to Ashland. The dude at the gate () put that desire to bed. If I had been in a car or truck, not a problem, but NO MOTORCYCLES. Even a BMW 1150...

He was great about it, and I had to slink back around via (gasp!) ASPHALT, but what can ya do?

It is beautiful even if you only make to Pittston Farm, saw lots of moose, porcupine, a bear, and beaver. Oh, and a bazillion Mosquitos.

I am going back next year, but will go into Canada at either Vermont or New York, then go to New Brunswick. Try Canadian dirt.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
Why would you plan a trip with the perimeter of Maine as the objective? Or any other state,etc., for that matter. It is illogical as many places having interest are found here or there, not all stashed on the edges! My 2 cents...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Why would you plan a trip with the perimeter of Maine as the objective? Or any other state,etc., for that matter. It is illogical as many places having interest are found here or there, not all stashed on the edges! My 2 cents...
Fer fun?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by uechi58 View Post
Thanks Devo, that's what I suspected. Sucks about the crash. Did someone come across you or were you able to make a call? How did you get the bike out? Your comment about the SPOT is (sorry) "spot on". I'll most likely bring my son along, who is strong enough to carry me & the bike out.
I was pinned under the bike sitting on my broken leg so if the spot wasn't in reach and I was alone I would have been there for a good long while. I was with two great guys who sprung into action. Honestly the worst part was that our 9 day trip was over on the 3rd day, and that was the first thing to go through my head, even before the pain.

Our cars/trailers were back in VT. After leaving me at the local hospital they went back to VT and 8gv drove all the way to Greenville to get my bike that was being held by police, then all the way over to Bangor where my surgery took place. He just stopped by a few days ago with the bike and I live just north of NYC. Amazing. Sad excuse for a ride report begins here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=808748&page=8

Lastly, I know that Canuman is trying to create a route that goes from the end of the TET at the Canadian border and then northeast hugging the border of Canada and Maine, he is usually looking for riding buddies.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Lastly, I know that Canuman is trying to create a route that goes from the end of the TET at the Canadian border and then northeast hugging the border of Canada and Maine, he is usually looking for riding buddies.
Oh that....wonder if he eventually found the maps. Links are on that thread, some good free ones that I may have dug up back then. Gotta speak the language sometimes to get anywhere on them Govt. sites.

Just because you know, that's where I am from and sure rode/drove them gravel roads back then. Still do occasionally....!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774102
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Sounds pretty neat to me. I've planned trips around the perimeter of Tennessee and Mississippi. I think Mississippi would be more interesting because two of its sides are not straight lines and follow geography. Tennessee is two very long straight lines with short ends, one along a river, the other along the mountains.

I haven't made either trip, but I still might at some point. It's not a specific destination, but you never know what you'll find.

In fact, kind of brings to mind, which state would provide the most interesting perimeter ride?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
uechi58 OP
Adventurer

Why te border of Maine?

The coast of Maine is great if you like the ocean, so I figured, what the heck, keep going all the way around! I have been all along the south coast to Eastport, and I'm thinking that the rest should be remote and peaceful. It will be in the spring, as I've missed the window this year.

Devo, I read you RR and it sounds like it would have been a great trip. Hope you're up and around soon.

Thank you all for the tips and places to visit.