Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,459
Roll (and Rock) on John, it's out there, you'll find it. Stay safe!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Yesterday I had a lot of very uninteresting miles to think about the real reason I'm out here; finding my next mission in life. I kept thinking about something a potential employer said to me on an interview a while back. I went to Singapore to look at a job as a project manager updating an oil rig in the gulf of Thailand. I'm not really a project manager per se, but the job looked really interesting.

After spending about three or four days learning about the industry and going out to the rig to see the challenge I came back to the office and expressed my enthusiasm and interest in the job. The owner of the company, who is pretty clever dude, kept asking me how I like the industry. I knew from the question that the correct answer was that I love it, I pour kerosene on my pancakes and marinate my chicken in diesel. But the truth was that I don't really care. It's fascinating, it's new to me and I know nothing about it so it would be very challenging, I'd like that it adds another diverse element to an already eclectic resume, but I doubt it will be the last industry I work in.
He's Swedish and a very direct kinda guy, I respect that. One thing he said has troubled me ever since though. He said, "you have to specialize in something, you can't be a generalist, otherwise you'll end up like me; useless." Funny thing is that this guy owns an oil rig making something like 6000 barrels of oil a day.

The problem seems to be that everyone wants you to specialize in something, but I like being a little more of a generalist. I like having to rapidly learn something, and apply a very diverse background and set of skills to find new solutions to problems. It seems to me that it takes as much energy to learn 90% of something as it does to learn the remaining 10%. To say it another way, it takes as much energy to get an A- as it does to get from an A- to an A+. I'd rather be an A- in lots of areas than the best in just one. Life is short, learn and experience as much as you can, right?

Now, I know what the Swede was looking for, and I'm happy and eager to learn to do the best job possible for his project, but I had to be honest with him and explain that I was very interested in the oil and gas industry, but it's just another industry and it's probably not as unique as people think it is. So many employers appear to want a candidate with a very narrow focus, someone who was born to be a cog that fits only their myopic view of what the role needs.

I used to hire people based on attitude, enthusiasm ability to adapt. It created diverse teams that produced unique solutions and ran circles around our competition. The last company I worked for gave me the trust and freedom to manage as I saw fit and in return they had a group they were really proud of. But like the ronin, my master is dead, killed off in the 2008 economic downturn. Now I feel like I'm left with two options; 1)Like the some of the ronin, hire myself out to anyone willing to pay for my services and have little allegiance to anything more than a paycheck, or 2) Find a new master, one with a great problem that I can help with and pour myself into the mission. If I can't find option 2 soon, I'll have to resort to option 1 but there's something really vacant about that route.

By the way, I would have taken that job, but the quality of life for spouses of ex-pats is fairly low and Bethany probably would not have stayed with me for the year that was required. Too bad though, it was a very interesting challenge.

A couple of pictures from the Songkhla oil field, Gulf of Thailand.

It's hot, damn hot. I feel like my head could burst into flames at any moment.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #33
BillNighSciGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Succinct

Yes, you've got a real good, real long story to tell. It is a shame that the proper version of it is longer than most cover letters and interviews last. Perhaps in the infinite mind-time of your trip you can find the best way to make it as succinct and marketable as possible. A pretty darn good start there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
I used to hire people based on attitude, enthusiasm ability to adapt. It created diverse teams that produced unique solutions and ran circles around our competition. The last company I worked for gave me the trust and freedom to manage as I saw fit and in return they had a group they were really proud of.
BillNighSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Your statement about specializing vs. being a generalist reminds me of
a point made by one of James Micheners characters in "The Drifters" .
To paraphrase, he said something to the effect that one had to determine
what he wanted to be before the age of thirty, otherwise he would just
become a bum. By that definition I'm now a retired bum. But damned if
I don't have a lot of useless eclectic skills. And I still want to learn.

Give 'em hell.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
Roll (and Rock) on John, it's out there, you'll find it. Stay safe!
Hey Kamala Nice to to see a local in this thread. Hopefully see you at Beez's party again this year?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Nice ride report John! Thanks for taking us along on your adventures and journey.

I knew that these two looked familiar. Very nice couple. I chatted with them for a bit while we both waited on our Corbin seats to get made at Corbin, in Holister, CA (Well, mine was being made and Sarah's was getting an adjustment). They are on quite the adventure of their own (or were about to be when I ran into them). It's incredible how small a world it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
Great meeting you guys today. Good luck on your epic adventure and congratulations on your book!

If you see Sarah and David (? Sorry, been a long day), be sure to stop and invite them in. You'll get some really great stories and it will only cost you a pint or two.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Thanks for following along

Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #38
BTBW 01
BTBW 01

Oddometer: 56
I understand where your coming from,
like many of us,
Your a Biker and live to ride.
Enjoy & thanks for sharing.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #39
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Excellent video John! Creatively shot and edited. Right there you have a future!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
RTLLTR
RotoTiller!

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Excellent video John! Creatively shot and edited. Right there you have a future!

Hmmm..................

Keep it coming OCD boy! Oh yeah also please hurry home so we can ride some dirty stuff!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLLTR View Post
Keep it coming OCD boy! ...
ok

Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #42
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Great Roads of the South

Look at that, not a frost heave anywhere in sight.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Between the wind and this cold, I didn't make it very far today. Currently in Alamosa, CO, trying to make it to Ouray. More soon.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #44
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Well this should make things interesting

Making my way to Ouray, CO. We'll see what the trip gods have in mind for me.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #45
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

A few random pictures from yesterday. So many abandoned buildings around here. Wish I had more time to explore more of them.