Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #106
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,299
Went and visited our local hose maker...... He whipped up an extension for me when I put on the Rox risers....... This time we measured length,angles, and made a 3 foot, and 3'6" with a 90 deg, and a 45 deg.. and 15 on the bottom. Took us about one hr. US$ 120..... Yay......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #107
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Eh? Awkward.....

First press, is not yielding what I thought would be a Panzer bear claw........ Oh well..... On to number two.......

Movie time.....

Erling
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #108
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100

I like it !
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #109
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
It looks good earling!! What about it don't you like?

Did you lay down a coat of epoxy in the mold and let it get tacky before laying up the part? It looks like you almost would have to with the angles that you are dealing with there.

The finish looks really good! Did the mold or the part have any blemishes at all?

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #110
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,100
Well this worked out all right! great beak dude!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #111
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guy's..... I was trying to create a flow of the extension that mated with the old lines, and as I don't have access to a CAD, and draw matchstick men..... Only thing for me is visualize, and make one. This one is certainly functional, but I wanted it to look better. I am my own worst critic, but I don't mind plugging along. There are some voids that needs fixing. That was ironically not just due to the crazy angles, but more so to the fact I laid down 3 layers wet. You see you can get away with doing strange things to one layer.....two.....perhaps....three....Not so much, and it now becomes very stiff. If you lay down the first layer tacky.... at least two things will happen. First... The resin you have brushed on the mould will now have pooled .... Two....Lots of small voids because the now low viscous resin will not yield good saturation of the cloth. It will stick like flypaper though....., and the voids could be fixed after separation. Instead... you come back every thirty minutes, and " re-attach" the fibers as the resin gets tacky...... I will fix this beak, and begin work on the next one, that I have visualized..... Then focus on the Fork slider, and brake lines. Fork sliders should be done in a day or two.... Heat gun....check...... lexan sheet.......check.....

Erling
Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #112
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

What a pain in the A$$ to bleed...... After both brake lines installed...... I was huffing on the mighty vac for a pint..... Then just hooked it up to the vacuum chamber and sucked the Snot otta it. That seems to work. They are now back to as they were before. I guess , as all the lines were disconnected, perhaps lots of air entered back to the abs module. Am I missing anything..... Bleed the master cylinder.... then right, then left....back to the master cylinder. No bleed at the ABS module ....right...????

Erling
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #113
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,389
Laugh

what a master artist on this mold! you inspired me to try a few parts... Water bottle holder and brake guard... it did not come out quite as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
One layer of resin.....

Second layer of resin..... This will ensure a smooth....auto level of the planform, taking out hrs. of sanding, thus the mold will be laid on top of this......

Until Tomorrow.....
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #114
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
what a master artist on this mold! you inspired me to try a few parts... Water bottle holder and brake guard... it did not come out quite as well!
... Thanks.... It alright.... Just sand the top....uhmmmm... not so pretty looking part......re-coat with resin.....and don't tell anyone......

Erling
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #115
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Erling, for the brake lines you need to flush the whole system to rid the old fluid. Best way to do this is to disconnect the right caliper first (it is the terminal caliper) then open up the reservoir up top and pump away. Once fluid has ceased coming out of that caliper then DC the left one and pump some more. I add some clean dot 4 while doing this to flush out the ABS side. Once those two calipers are relatively dry I DC'd the top banjo and set a rag up to pick up any fluid run off. After you have your new lines connected it is easier to open the bleed valves on both and fill the reservoir and pump until fluid comes out continuously. This will remove the most air from the lines. After this point it is time to initiate the bleeding. The lil vacuums are great but I have broken two of them so I just do it the old fashioned way. The trick is that you bleed one line at a time while maintaining pressure on the brake line. If you try to bleed both simultaneously or one then the other you will not expel the air from the lines. I think all and all I did about 15 bleeds before I had complete pressure. It takes a bit but it definitely helps to do it like this.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #116
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Erling, for the brake lines you need to flush the whole system to rid the old fluid. Best way to do this is to disconnect the right caliper first (it is the terminal caliper) then open up the reservoir up top and pump away. Once fluid has ceased coming out of that caliper then DC the left one and pump some more. I add some clean dot 4 while doing this to flush out the ABS side. Once those two calipers are relatively dry I DC'd the top banjo and set a rag up to pick up any fluid run off. After you have your new lines connected it is easier to open the bleed valves on both and fill the reservoir and pump until fluid comes out continuously. This will remove the most air from the lines. After this point it is time to initiate the bleeding. The lil vacuums are great but I have broken two of them so I just do it the old fashioned way. The trick is that you bleed one line at a time while maintaining pressure on the brake line. If you try to bleed both simultaneously or one then the other you will not expel the air from the lines. I think all and all I did about 15 bleeds before I had complete pressure. It takes a bit but it definitely helps to do it like this.
Yeppers...... I guess that is what I ended up with..... I did not blow all the old fluid out.... But rather just flushed about a quart of dot4 through. First half pint was the nasty old stuff, and then it became clear, as the fresh fluid filled the lines. I was just puzzled as of how long it took. Once I hooked up the vacuum chamber, it became short work....he he.....And brake is back to normal.

Erling