User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 204
Media blasting for snowflake wheels?

As some of you may know from seeing my posts that I purchased a 79 RS that had been neglected. Stored outside, different numbered carbs, mismatched parts to say the least. I'm not complaining. And I don't mind the challenge having never owned a Beemer before. It gives me something to do over the boring winter months. Many thanks to the inmates for your help and experience.

I have now turned my attention to the wheels. The rear is gold, front is silver with plenty of discoloration. So I have decided to powder coat them. My local guy uses sand-blasting before powder application. Should I look into something less aggressive? His work is amazing, and he has a strong clientele. Link to his website... http://www.quyscoating.com/?page_id=124 He says the sand-blasting shouldn't be a problem.

Since you guys have more experience with these wheels I thought I'd throw it out to the forum. Thanks again in advance.

headtube screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 05:40 PM
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I have read different discussion about the heat from powder coating makes the wheels brittle. I do have a friend that powder coated his snowflakes and one indeed did crack. Coincidence, perhaps.

I did a through cleaning with degreaser then soap and water, scuffed them up with a scotch brite pad then sprayed mine with Duplicolor silver mettalic lacquer then clear lacquer. They look factory fresh and can be touched up anytime.

Plus it was inexpensive!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Personally, I do not like using sand. I use glass beads. Sand is usually quicker to remove everything, but also much more aggressive in removing metal as well. I do my own bead blasting. On a wheel, I will start with course beads first, then go to medium and then fine. That way I get a nice smooth finish. Some guys have liked it so much, they just clear coat them. Others have had them powdered coated all kinds of colours to match up with whatever scheme they are going for.

Snowflakes are steel wheels. They will take a lot more abuse than most people think. But they can bend.
Make certain that your front wheel is the warranty replaced one. It will have some webbing between the spokes close to the hub. The warranty replacement is still available.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Snowflakes are steel wheels.
I don't think you meant steel
Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Just a little info, powdercoating will not make wheels brittle. Powder cures at 400f this will not effect the heat treat of the wheel. If anything it would make them softer, not brittle.
Snowflake wheels are cast aluminum, not steel.
Just FYI
Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,083
If the bloke that does the job is good and you have good references, I'd go with his expertise. The bearing area needs absolute protection from the sand though he should know that.

I've had a few wheels powder coated as have many, many others. If you do powder coat, I would advise to not get a clear coat done. It'll lift eventually.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
headtube OP
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 204
I know the Fiche says the wheels are cast iron but this is erroneous. However, as an experiment I placed a strong magnet on the wheel. The magnet did indeed react, but only slightly. My guess is the wheels are a cast alloy with some metal mixed in for strength. If this is the case then the wheels are stronger than just plain aluminum alloy, and could indeed take the aggressiveness of sand-blasting and the heat of powder coat without ill effects.
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Powder coating makes it harder to mount a tire without damage to the finish,according to my buddy who has a shop.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Snowflakes indeed do have Iron in them. They are NOT aluminum. Magents do not stick to aluminum.
Plus, just go pick one of those snowflakes and you will immediately know that it is not aluminum. They are damn heavy.

As to sand blasting, do it if you want. The wheels will take it fine, but it will be a rougher finish, which can also be cleaned up with finer and finer sand. Just will take more work to get them nice and smooth. Glass beads will give you a nice smoother surface to paint. Even when using powder coating, the better the prep work and smoother the surface, the better the final finish will be.

Before blasting, pull the bearings out and insert a rubber bung. You can measure the hole and drop by Home Depot to get a bung of the correct size. Bang it into the hole and it shoule seal things up just fine. But, remember to remove it after you are finished the blasting and have cleaned the rim well. Once the bung is otu, clean everything a few more times, just to make certain that you have all the grit removed.

Or, you could get creative and just acid dip the whole thing. I have heard of one powder coater that does that. I don't know if it helps or hinders in the process as I have not seen anything done from that guy.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Sorry, snowflakes are aluminum. They may be alloyed with something else, but I doubt it is iron. Iron is almost never alloyed with aluminum.
If a snowflake was iron, it would weigh over 80lbs. as iron is three times the weight of aluminum. No production mag style rim has been made of iron, or steel.
Also, just to be fair, I held a magnet to my snowflakes, and it does not stick at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
langloisandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Btdt...

Been there/Done that... they blast nicely with either sand or glass. Go for it! Blast the crud off, it's motivating to see new metal under old finishes!

One finish I like is the older Mercedes silver wheel paint (ask your local paint mixer-dood, they can look it up) It's a silver, but matches that "alloy wheel" color wonderfully and makes for an easy touch up if you scratch or ding a spot during a tire change.

Andy
Guzzi Breva 750 and more...
langloisandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
This may be of interest, concerning the powder coating of motorcycle wheels. Draw your own conclusion.
http://powdercoatingbeginners.blogsp...ng-wheels.html
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

If the snowflake wheels are aluminum, somebody had better inform BMW about that. They list them in their parts microfiche as CAST IRON .
Front weighs 12.57 pounds and rear weighs 15.65 pounds.

0136 31 1 238 959CAST IRON RIM SILVER FRONT - 19"

0236 31 1 242 734CAST IRON RIM SILVER REAR - 18"

I checked this on 3 different sites.
I just came in from the garage after checking both bikes with magnets. Stuck to all 4 wheels.