Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #256
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Once Peter loads his photos I should have a couple more...

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #257
traveltoad
Aaron S

I was looking at this photo again:

And I remembered a thought I had while riding this past weekend.

I think I and going to pull the cinching straps out and re-install them with the cam buckles on the rear of the bags. My reasoning is that with most crashes the bike will be moving forward and with the cam buckles on the back of the bag they are less likely to impact something hard and maybe break or crack.

Not a criticism of the bag... just an adjustment I am going to make.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #258
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
I have a GiantLoop Mojavi, but it's too small and the Coyote looks too big.... The Kriega has intrigued me and I am definitely wanting to get this set up.
My thoughts on this (not that you asked), as I have a Mo'Javi and I have had the Coyote.

If you use the Mo'javi and leave the top tool pouch empty (or if you have the new Mo'Javi with the removable tool pouch), You can very easily mount a US10 or US20 on top (on the rear of the seat or the rack). A US20 will look something like this:

I like this set up as it keeps the bike very narrow. I will probably continue to use a similar set up on my 400 when we are little-bike camping. The trade off, however, is that you end up with more weight up high on the bike.

The Coyote is listed as a 30L bag which matches in capacity with the Overlander30. Unlike the fit on my Super Enduro, on an XR I think the Coyote will actually fit very well and is a viable option (sorry Michael). My reasoning for moving to the Overlander30 from the Coyote was three fold. One was difficulting in packing: even though the Coyote is a 30L bag, I found that once my gear was packed there were always weird shaped empty spaces which usually were filled by me stuffing things into them. The problem is that when you openned the bag to set up camp all these little pieces would fall out everywhere and these little pieces needed to be carefully repacked just so in the morning. So nine times out of ten I ended up leaving the spaces empty and would strap a US10 behind the Coyote. The rectangular shape of the Overlander bags makes them easy to pack and allows you to utilize all 30L. The second main reason for my switch to the Overlander was weight placement: The Coyote (by design) carries more of the load up on top of the seat or rack. I never really felt it was an issue, but the Overlander bags carry all 30L on the side of the bike, none of it is on top, so the weight is lower. If you read back on one of my earlier posts I voiced a concern that the Overander30 might be a tad too wide and, well as much as it pains me to admit it, I was wrong. This past weekend we spent some time on narrow-ish singletrack:

and even with brush dragging on the bags they never felt too wide at all. The last reason for my switch is related to the previous one, bag placement and versatility: While the Coyote kept the bike very narrow which is good for more techinical riding, I found that having a bunch of the weight on the seat made the bike more top heavy. I also found that with steep decents (part of technical riding) my ass was hitting the Coyote often. To compensate for this I started trying to locate the Coyote further back on the bike, making the weight high and back on the bike... not good IMO. So the placement of the Coyote always felt like a balancing act between forward for better weight balance and back for more ass-room (yes, that is the technical term). This issue is eliminated with the Overlander30 bags as they are on the sides of the bike. Having the bags on the side of the bike also gives you the option to leave your rack (or rear part of your seat) empty (low weight, lots of ass-room) or to add an additional bag (US5, US10 or US20) to your kit on those rare times when you just need that little bit extra.

*whew* I think that's it... I'll bet Michael wants me to shut up now.

traveltoad screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 11:36 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #259
Durwood
AKA Chinga D

Oddometer: 82
Overlander 60

Thanks Michael, that's what I was afraid of...I will change out the racks and give you a call. Thanks again.
Durwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #260
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Hey Traveltoad;
Don't shut up quite yet................I have more questions............when you unpack the Overlander can the bags or bag mount stay on the bike?
Do these bags have the inner liner?

With the Overlander 30, if the bags are not fully loaded can you secure or cinch the bags tight so items in the bags do not move around?

I certainly agree with your assessment of packing the Coyote. I also find that you can not totally tighten/cinch up the bag if it is not completely full so loose items move around.

Good photo's also..............thanks.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #261
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Hey Traveltoad;
Don't shut up quite yet................I have more questions............when you unpack the Overlander can the bags or bag mount stay on the bike?
Do these bags have the inner liner?

With the Overlander 30, if the bags are not fully loaded can you secure or cinch the bags tight so items in the bags do not move around?

I certainly agree with your assessment of packing the Coyote. I also find that you can not totally tighten/cinch up the bag if it is not completely full so loose items move around.

Good photo's also..............thanks.
To unpack the bags all you need to do is open the roll top and pull your stuff out. To make it a bit easier to get your stuff out... and the best way to reload the bags... is to loosen the strap that goes over the seat (one cam buckle), loosen the two cinch straps (one strap adjuster for each cinch strap) and release the three side release buckles (one on each end of the roll top and one strap over the roll top). The bags can absolutely stay on the bike. If you did decide to remove the bags they would come off the bike (and go back on) in less time than the Coyote IMO.

The bags have the same liner that is found in all of the US bags.

I think that if the bags were on the bike empty they would cinch up ok... but you would have a lot of extra strap to stow. They are not really designed to empty though and they go on and come off so easily there is no reason to leave them on empty.

traveltoad screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 05:15 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #262
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Thanks again Traveltoad...............I ordered a Kriega catalog today..........once I have that it looks like I'm going to make a long list of bags to order.

Cheers
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #263
traveltoad
Aaron S

A couple more photos from Whynowthen's camera... just 'cause...

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #264
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
*whew* I think that's it... I'll bet Michael wants me to shut up now.
Not at all mate! In fact I should probably put you on commission!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos.

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #265
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Thanks again Traveltoad...............I ordered a Kriega catalog today..........once I have that it looks like I'm going to make a long list of bags to order.

Cheers
Catalog went in the mail yesterday and is winging its way towards you, fella.

traveltoad seems to be doing an admirable job of fielding your queries about the Overlander 30 , but feel free to post up any further ones you may have once you've had chance to peruse our compact little tome!

Thanks for considering Kriega.

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #266
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
Thanks Michael, that's what I was afraid of...I will change out the racks and give you a call. Thanks again.
My pleasure, chief! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance once your shiny new rack arrive.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #267
Badger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313

Love the Tool Roll!!!
Since I was close, I drove down to New Orleans to meet the crew. Gotta say that they will go all out for you.
Looked at the bags. I'll be getting some as soon as I can. Extremely well made gear!!

Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #268
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Love the Tool Roll!!!
Since I was close, I drove down to New Orleans to meet the crew. Gotta say that they will go all out for you.
Looked at the bags. I'll be getting some as soon as I can. Extremely well made gear!!
Hi Badger,

I have a feeling you may have actually met the crew from The Transportation Revolution! They're our local dealership, great people, good friends of mine and excellent ambassadors for Kriega.

Shame I didn't know you were around - I'm always up for buying Inmates a beer in the French Quarter . Mind you, I'm sure the chaps at TTRNO did you proud. Regardless, let me know if I can be of any further assistance ahead of your next visit to New Orleans.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #269
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
Man I love that tool roll.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #270
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Man I love that tool roll.
Sounds like you certainly got plenty of use out of yours, Jason (I just finished reading your brilliant RR / Diary of an Airhead Abroad from the Australasian Safari)!

Honest, funny, inspiring, entertaining and very well written. Definitely worthy of publication.

Bravo!

BritKit LLC