///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,646
How about now?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #107
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,010
I have one comment about the importing of GPX or whatever you want to call it: The turns are not necessarily at the same place where the gps decides to drop a point so the mileage and the turns will not tie up.

The ONLY way this will work is if you digitize the line in GE, but then there is the problem of different radius curves - How does this tool deal with that? Those of you who have made road books will know what I am talking about here. Sometimes a curve smooth with lots of points and an angle change of 5 degree increments, but its still a hazard or navigation point and would not necessarily be picked up by the software.

Don't get me wrong: I think this is a step in the right direction and I applaud what you guys are doing but I have my doubts its going to make things much easier at all for a while yet. Regardless, I would probably buy a copy anyway if it were available for sale just because when I sleep I dream about road books and road book creation.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #108
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
I think this is a great idea and it is a step in the right direction ...

In any case, rally roadbooks have to be validated so I think the plan would be to print the roadbook that you have created and go over to do the track and validate it. This is what I think is great. Instead of going on and on and finding routes out of nowhere you plan and then check... You miss the fun of going out and getting lost but let's leave that for the race

At the moment, even in the near future I cannot see how GE could be used without validating the track ...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #109
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Neil, you are correct, you do need to adjust your track to the actual contour. But even so, it's a lot easier to drag points on an existing GPX track with our tool than it is to re-create the entire route from scratch. It's just a shortcut way to get started, but by no means are we trying to auto-create a finished route from a GPX file.

Buying it? Nope. The tool is intended to build the rally community by putting good route creation tools into the hands of riders and promoting sharing of routes. The idea is that it will be free to use, with the caveat that your route will be shared in the Route Library for others to use. We will have some premium version of the service that will cost, but those details are not yet decided.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I have one comment about the importing of GPX or whatever you want to call it: The turns are not necessarily at the same place where the gps decides to drop a point so the mileage and the turns will not tie up.

The ONLY way this will work is if you digitize the line in GE, but then there is the problem of different radius curves - How does this tool deal with that? Those of you who have made road books will know what I am talking about here. Sometimes a curve smooth with lots of points and an angle change of 5 degree increments, but its still a hazard or navigation point and would not necessarily be picked up by the software.

Don't get me wrong: I think this is a step in the right direction and I applaud what you guys are doing but I have my doubts its going to make things much easier at all for a while yet. Regardless, I would probably buy a copy anyway if it were available for sale just because when I sleep I dream about road books and road book creation.
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #110
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
Neil, you are correct, you do need to adjust your track to the actual contour. But even so, it's a lot easier to drag points on an existing GPX track with our tool than it is to re-create the entire route from scratch. It's just a shortcut way to get started, but by no means are we trying to auto-create a finished route from a GPX file.

Buying it? Nope. The tool is intended to build the rally community by putting good route creation tools into the hands of riders and promoting sharing of routes. The idea is that it will be free to use, with the caveat that your route will be shared in the Route Library for others to use. We will have some premium version of the service that will cost, but those details are not yet decided.

Dave

Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #111
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
How about now?

Is it ready NOW?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #112
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:

Dave
Sounds really awesome Dave!

BTW if anyone wants to do Stage 15 of the 2012 Dakar as a warmup for next year, please contact me. I have the RB
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #113
greglewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
In the know?

Where can I meet someone who's "in the know", ya know?

Greg
greglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #114
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMoto View Post
Inmates:

At the risk of saying too much, too soon....

Rally Navigator features in development:
● Drawing tools for detailed Tulip creation
● Drag and Drop FIM - Dakar Rally Navigation icons
Configure roadbook from imported GPX track, still requires manual waypoint placement.
● Header function with Miles, WP, Fuel mileage, altitude profile, start finish,
● “Virtual Pre-Run” Google Earth route flyover with synchronized roadbook,
ICO, Compass display
● Utilization of Google Earth roads & routing function - snap track to road
● Saving/Sharing preferences: Private - Share with select friends - Public
● Fully searchable Route library - search by ratings, location, creator etc.
● Support for comments and ratings on each route
● Facebook Integration, sharing and authentication

Lots of work still to do. The end product should be fantastic.
If you can incorporate a "So... you can't find your arse in the dark with both hands?" user function...
that can be up loaded into the GPS and help keep (simultaneous) track of where the rider is relative to the roadbook,
then you'll be able to sell heaps of them over here at navigation rallies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #115
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,857
If I may leave suggestions, please allow us to print a "draft" with blank lines between every one of the google earth generated ones, so that we have more space to write corrections on the track . Printed characters in this drafted version could be in gray, so that we can scribble over them, correcting what is necessary.

Altering an existing roadbook is tedious, please consider tools to deal with sections - insert or delete pieces of the roadbook, correcting the rest of the distances accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I have one comment about the importing of GPX or whatever you want to call it: The turns are not necessarily at the same place where the gps decides to drop a point
Neil - check the new generation of GPS bluetooth dongles / data loggers. They are logging positions 5 times per second if you want them to. I have one of the older 1 Hz loggers and if I set it to log at max resolution most turns are over detailed. Anyway, there will always be differences between GPS track distance, Google earth and ICO's, or even between two of your own passings with the same bike and instruments...

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #116
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
A month past away since last post.

Hope your all on track, with all the variables.
Myway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #117
vbenedic
Rider

Oddometer: 41
totem offers a software for PC and android to create your own roadbook.

http://www.rallyvirtual.com.br/siten...totem-planilha

www.vbracing.com.br
vbenedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #118
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 563
Looks good, even though my Portuguese is non existent!

I used to use RBEditor but when I recently attempted to download it onto a new PC, I keep getting a message telling me the files are corrupted?

I'll have to copy it over from the old PC and see if it still works!
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #119
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
A month past away since last post.

Hope your all on track, with all the variables.
We're still plugging away. Working on the drawing tools at the moment. We'll have another update soon.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #120
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
We're still plugging away. Working on the drawing tools at the moment. We'll have another update soon.

Dave
Take your time, a one man time consuming process.

Writing such scripts, you must be over 150 pages.
Myway is online now   Reply With Quote