Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Provence - Route des Grand Alpes

This used to be one of my old love affairs where I roamed a lot when I started riding 25 years ago, Provence in Southern France and the mighty Alpes there. Time to see it again.
We left Copenhagen on a cold friday morning here in October and rode down to Hamburg to catch the auto-train as usual.
Waiting on the train in Hamburg.

The bike got secured on the train.

It's a bit like the lottery when you board the train. Do you get the train compartment for your self or do you have to share it with somebody else?
This time we were lucky, we got it all to our selves - nice
Thank God for Nintendo's to keep Nikolai occupied.

Dinner on the train is perhaps not the most exciting experience but acceptable.

Upon arriving in Alessandria in northern Italy next morning, it was cold and misty, so an extra layer of clothes was added.

We started riding west towards the french border. Weather was still misty, so the camera didn't get out much. We stopped in a small italian town just before the border,

and had lunch here.

Crossing the border to France we hit the Route des Grandes Alpes. It's perhaps a bit to much to say that I know it as my own backyard but I have been riding here a lot, years ago. Last time was with Nikolai's mother about 10 years ago, and that was why we picked this destination as the final encore for this year's riding. Nikolai wanted to see the places where mom had been with dad

I know that the Alpes are higher and mightier in Switzerland, Austria and also the Dolomites in Italy, but don't be fooled, this is an absolutely excellent riding area.

A ziggy stop taking in the views.

We rode these brilliant roads,

through narrow canyons,

and stopped for the night in the nice little town of Sospel.

We checked in at this humble little hotel just to the right of the Spar supermarket. It was clean, had toilets and showers and was located smack in the middle of town.

After dumping our stuff at the room we went out for a stroll in the town. At the local square Nikolai found himself a little french friend to play with, so I sat down with a beer watching them.

After that it was time for dinner at the local restaurant.

Nikolai had a pizza and I got carpacchio for starter,

followed by some bloody big shrimps.

Back home at the hotel afterwards, we layed on the bed talking about the next day's riding before going to sleep.

panzerrocket screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 07:37 AM
panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote