ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
DrStrangeride OP
Let them Eat Roost

Oddometer: 136
Best GPS for riding Dirt in NW and SW

Friend has an older Garmin 276c GPS that is rugged, large-screened, versatile, and able to upload national forest service maps. Hoping that someone here has information on comparable item. BTW would also be nice it it had some of the capabilities of the SPOT Connect for GEO search and rescue.
DrStrangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
Except for the SPOT capability, the Garmin Montana is the best replacement for a 276C. I have both and am very happy with my Montana 600.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Do you mean real off highway dirt on Dual Sport or dirt bike or just graded dirt county roads on Adv bike? Very few people who ride dirt use big screen units although the Montana may start to show up. 60/76/62/78 are standare dirt units.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
DrStrangeride OP
Let them Eat Roost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Do you mean real off highway dirt on Dual Sport or dirt bike or just graded dirt county roads on Adv bike? Very few people who ride dirt use big screen units although the Montana may start to show up. 60/76/62/78 are standare dirt units.
Real dirt mostly woods. Only road when its the last option to get to more dirt.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeride View Post
Real dirt mostly woods. Only road when its the last option to get to more dirt.
76Cx from WestMarine.com at $149 when on sale is best deal around.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I just use my iPhone, with Motion-X GPS. Works great once you sort out a good mount and power source.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
DrStrangeride OP
Let them Eat Roost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
76Cx from WestMarine.com at $149 when on sale is best deal around.
Thanks, hadn't considered a hand-held, but looks like a good alt to the 276c. I'll look this over more closely. Can I download nat forest service roads?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
DrStrangeride OP
Let them Eat Roost

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
I just use my iPhone, with Motion-X GPS. Works great once you sort out a good mount and power source.
Wow. Thought you had to have cell connection and did not realize that I-phone has a GPS chipset. Just googled SPOT, and MotionX. Does not look like there is a search and rescue service like SPOT's GEOS add on Not chincy, just trying to reduce the gadgetry.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, hadn't considered a hand-held, but looks like a good alt to the 276c. I'll look this over more closely. Can I download nat forest service roads?
No GPS will "download roads", they download maps, and the all do it. It is up to you to pick a map like City Nav, Roads & Rec, Topo, etc.

The catch is you really want roads and trails that are legally open to motorized. None of the map makers have updated their maps for Travel Management that took place in all National Forests.

Although CN is good and will work fine, many of us dirt riders prefer the old R & R. It is basicaly the 1980 1:100,000 USGS maps and shows every road and trail that existed them. Again catch is out of print, you must find one on e-Bay or somewhere else.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Wow. Thought you had to have cell connection and did not realize that I-phone has a GPS chipset. Just googled SPOT, and MotionX. Does not look like there is a search and rescue service like SPOT's GEOS add on Not chincy, just trying to reduce the gadgetry.
A GPS chipset is a receiver, not a transmitter. So anything like a spot is not possible. For sharing your ride with friends, you can do that over 3G, which may be good enough depending where you ride.

For contacting emergency services, you really want a PLB or EPIRB. Cheaper than a SPOT and more likely work when you find your life in danger.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Trailtech

http://trailtech.net/voyager.html

This is the best.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
A GPS chipset is a receiver, not a transmitter. So anything like a spot is not possible. For sharing your ride with friends, you can do that over 3G, which may be good enough depending where you ride.

For contacting emergency services, you really want a PLB or EPIRB. Cheaper than a SPOT and more likely work when you find your life in danger.

Dr. Strangeride, sorry for the hijack.

abhibeckert,

Interesting link on the PLB. I did a little more research on this and after the initial cost of the PLB you can get SAR Insurance for about $14 a year US. If one doesn't have a need to "check in" or "tracks" this is perfect.

You need to register the unit with NOAA for you to be found quickly and efficiently. Also the unit I researched isn't listed as a supported device for the insurance. More research is in order but still, interesting stuff.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Montana

I am sure liking my Montana after switching from a 60 CSX. Screen size and readability are WAY better, with just a small increase in size. I use mine mostly for hard core dirt riding. The minimal size increase is a non issue for me. The additional screen size comes mostly from going to a touch screen/eliminating the buttons and making the entire face of the unit display, $370 for a refurb unit with warranty.

FWIW
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote