ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #1171
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Just got my KTM 690E and really want to ride some easier local rides. And hey, if someone's willing to back me up - all the better. This is a big/heavy bike IMO and I haven't ridden a MX bike since I was a LOT younger (29 years to be exact), but I've been putting on the miles on easy roads and challenging paved twisties and I'm ready for the world of dual sport for better or worse. I'm an advanced downhill MTBer and I race cars (Lotus Cup USA) so hopefully some of that skill/mindset play in my favor here.

Where are you located?

Lot's of easy, scenic, fun roads in the Cajon Pass and San Bernardino Mtn areas.

I would gladly trade several days of 'riding clinics' and guided tours in the local mountains for some time behind the wheel of a Lotus

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #1172
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Where are you located?

Lot's of easy, scenic, fun roads in the Cajon Pass and San Bernardino Mtn areas.

I would gladly trade several days of 'riding clinics' and guided tours in the local mountains for some time behind the wheel of a Lotus

-M
i test drove an elise, that thing is a daily drive track car.....

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll get out there. Are there good trails closer to LA? Just need easy dirt.

just north of l.a., there's rowher flats, tule and lake elizabeth. we have ride reports on page 1 of the l.a. adventure rides.

hook up with someone - rider914 will take care of you,. always great to have a riding buddy. having a spot is good to have too.

have fun out there.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #1173
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,527
I posted this in the LA weekend rides:

This weekend

Ok going to throw this out and see what sticks. I got a hall pass this weekend (was hoping the BB ride was going to pan out)
So here is what I’m thinking: (did the first part 2 weeks ago)

Friday Night: 6:00 or 7:00 PM
Starts at the base of the hill Hwy 38 – NF n109
Take this all the way up into Moon ridge trail into Big Bear and find a camp spot. (Took me about 2.5 hours to work my way up) this will be at night so it might take a bit longer.

Sat early wake up Gas/breakfast and head down to Pioneer Town for an early Lunch (11:00)
Depending on the group we can work are way back up into BB and then work are way back down via Arrowhead/Silverwood dam to the 15 fwy. Option 2 head for the hwy after P-Town.

My weekend is open so if enough people want we can do this Sat to Sun. We don’t have to do the night thing (just adds a little more adventure)
If anyone’s interested post up and we can get this organized. If no interest I might just do Pioneer Town Sat.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1174
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Sito-
I am interested, but currently aiming at different plans this weekend
If those don't work out I would be up for a BB ride

BTW... FS 1N09 starts near the bottom of Hwy330 and was still closed a couple weekends ago. Did you mean 1N12 from the bottom of Hwy38?

-M
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #1175
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,233
big or little bikes
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #1176
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Sorry got to bail just found out I have to work sat.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #1177
dunerat
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
Sorry got to bail just found out I have to work sat.
Just as well... Supposed to be 34 deg at nite
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1178
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Sucks Sito your pioneer town ride is on of my favorite ones.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #1179
sito
Where the Hell am I?

We will do one soon. I got a nice route to PT Town!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #1180
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Where are you located?

-M
I took the bike up to Hungry Valley and felt pretty comfortable on small jumps, intermediate single track and sand (not that deep though). I'm still trying to figure out how to get this pig to turn on downhill reverse camber roads - not quite confident enough to back in but I might be able to brag about not being totally lame. So maybe I could join you on a ride that's fun for both of us. And, hey, if you turn out to be the kind of guy that wouldn't destroy my race car, I'd be happy to let you lap it at Willow Springs on a testntune day. I'm warning you though - its VERY addictive. I've got a hall pass for Sunday!
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #1181
dunerat
WTF?

Quote:
I took the bike up to Hungry Valley and felt pretty comfortable on small jumps, intermediate single track and sand (not that deep though). I'm still trying to figure out how to get this pig to turn on downhill reverse camber roads - not quite confident enough to back in but I might be able to brag about not being totally lame. So maybe I could join you on a ride that's fun for both of us. And, hey, if you turn out to be the kind of guy that wouldn't destroy my race car, I'd be happy to let you lap it at Willow Springs on a testntune day. I'm warning you though - its VERY addictive. I've got a hall pass for Sunday!
nice...raced bikes at willow in the 80s and it broke me being in my 20s ,could only imagine what it cost to be competitive in a car
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #1182
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't even want to know
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #1183
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how to get this pig to turn on downhill reverse camber roads - not quite confident enough to back in but I might be able to brag about not being totally lame. So maybe I could join you on a ride that's fun for both of us. And, hey, if you turn out to be the kind of guy that wouldn't destroy my race car, I'd be happy to let you lap it at Willow Springs on a testntune day. I'm warning you though - its VERY addictive. I've got a hall pass for Sunday!
I hear 690s have shite turning radius, so you're probly not doing anything wrong

Already riding saturday. Can't get out sunday as well, but i'm sure to be doing local rides with my dad soon. TG weekend likely.

Never taken a car to the track before (other than a parking lot auto-cross). Appreciate the offer, but i'd be happy just to oggle. Slowly getting my teener back to road worthy and I need motivation to keep moving forward

-M
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #1184
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

If you're open to it I may be able to swap my pass for Sat and join you. Where are you riding?

I was also thinking about doing the District37 100+mile DS ride from Teagle Cyn to Ballarat on Sunday. The bike seems pretty reliable (finally). Think I can handle that?
http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...oyotes2012.pdf
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #1185
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone want to go for a ride this weekend. Also in the four days after Thanksgiving I'll be up in Pioneertown and I was hoping to ride to Big Bear through Burns Cyn. Anyone up for that?