Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #61
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
SandBlast last year was my first rally after being back on a dirtbike for 6 months or so. I basically showed up with me, my bike, and my riding gear. I'd never raced before and I made it through just fine. Everybody was super helpful at figuring out where I needed to be and when.

Read the rule books to find out the right gear and bike tech and general rally rules. This will make registration and tech much easier. The beginner orientation will get you the rest you need to know about the actual race. The shakedown is worth it to get a feel for the sand.

Bring a friend or two if possible. I had a fantastic time and a great adventure doing SandBlast solo but had way more fun doing rally WV with friends and family there for the weekend!
Your post really brought back my first event, what a shock it was for me
Anyway, this year will be my 6th Sandblast
Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #62
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,288
me too, Sandblast was my first race, too. This will be my 7th start. although one run didnt happen, haha.

I like the Dunlop D606.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #63
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
me too, Sandblast was my first race, too. This will be my 7th start. although one run didnt happen, haha.

I like the Dunlop D606.
You and JJ ripped it up on the boxers! I was supposed to be there at the first event but got caught in a winter storm March should be pretty sweet, the weather will be much better....back to camping at H Cooper Black!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #64
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,380
Thanks Anders - love the new and improved date! I should be there takin' a bunch of pics.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #65
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
If the stars line up, I am hoping to be able to make this one happen. Now I need to find some buddies to travel...

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #66
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
If the stars line up, I am hoping to be able to make this one happen. Now I need to find some buddies to travel...
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #67
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 436
From what I've searched and seen posted not too many people in the "lites" Anyone have any knowledge on times / videos of them? Interested in doing this like the idea of falling on slightly softer sand than hard dirt / gravel of the much closer New York Rally Moto event.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #68
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
From what I've searched and seen posted not too many people in the "lites" Anyone have any knowledge on times / videos of them? Interested in doing this like the idea of falling on slightly softer sand than hard dirt / gravel of the much closer New York Rally Moto event.
Rally lites are just the smaller displacement bikes and they still can be just as competitive as the big bikes.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #69
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I have video of the "heavies" which you can just speed up by a bit and get a pretty good idea of what the "lites" are doing
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #70
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 436
Not worried at all about being competitive, I just am interested in doing it for the experience. What it seems like from the videos is that people are going maybe 70+ on some of the straights? Don't quite know if at the caliber of riding to not kill myself trying to go too fast or be in everyone else's way.

I'm accustomed to hitting maybe 55 on some of the dirt/gravel straights on the roads I've ridden numerous times, not so sure I'm ready for it on new roads.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #71
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Just go 55 then I just do the best I can and have fun. Nobody going to kick you out for going too slow.

Also, you can enter the "adventure" class, wherein you may ride at your own pace and get a feel for it without having the pressure of feeling like you've got to pin it.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #72
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
Not worried at all about being competitive, I just am interested in doing it for the experience. What it seems like from the videos is that people are going maybe 70+ on some of the straights? Don't quite know if at the caliber of riding to not kill myself trying to go too fast or be in everyone else's way.

I'm accustomed to hitting maybe 55 on some of the dirt/gravel straights on the roads I've ridden numerous times, not so sure I'm ready for it on new roads.
The top 5 bikes are probably running in the 60 mph average ball park...this means you are going 100 mph whenever you can. Newer competitors are in the 40 mph average speed.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #73
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,691
An extra month of healing won't be a bad thing, now hopefully there isn't a conflicting SORCS race that Sunday on the other side of GA and I'll be good to go!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
I've got a buddy in Kansas City that might be in for Sandblast. I'll check his interest for spitting the drive to SC if you want.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #75
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The top 5 bikes are probably running in the 60 mph average ball park...this means you are going 100 mph whenever you can. Newer competitors are in the 40 mph average speed.
Fastest I ever went was 124 MPH on the SE, Mike Gilkey saw 130+ as I recall In all honesty though, the most fun I had at SB was when I rode my old clapped 400 EXC, totally pinned I never got over 80 MPH It's a Sandy blast no matter how fast you go!