Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #46
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
amazing pics. what camera?
I'm using 3 cameras and 6 lenses. The look of my photos has more to do with the post-processing than the camera used. I am using an old Panasonic ZS5 point-n-shoot for shots on the move. The second camera is an Olympus EPL-1 micro-four-thirds with a 17mm Pancake lens. I am trying this camera out hoping to replace the point-n-shoot with it, but used it for a lot of the off-bike photos as well. My DSLR is a Pentax K-5 with the primary lens being a Pentax DA*16-50. I also used a 55-300mm zoom lens, an 8mm fisheye lens, and a 90mm macro lens. The photos in this report are a pretty equal mix from all 3 cameras.

Thanks for the commpliments, Dieselpwr!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Wink Cute Chick Visits My Bedroom...

The Day 2 Map

The light was fading as I topped out on McClure Pass and headed down the other side. I saw some dispersed camping opportunities near the summit, but I wanted to get to lower elevations. It is gonna be cold tonight. 30s is better than 20s. Once down in the canyon and following the river there were all of these signs forbidding camping anywhere except the campgrounds. I found only one campground open. It was getting close to dark when I pulled in resigned to just pay for a campsite, even though I only needed it for a few hours.

WTF! THIRTY-SIX DOLLARS FOR A CAMPSITE IN MY NATIONAL FOREST!

Now I HATE running around after dark looking for a campsite, but there is no way I'm paying $36 to sleep on the ground. I can afford it, but on principle-no way! So I continue on my way. Soon I pass through Carbondale. I could just get a motel room, but I'd rather not waste the money for just a few hours of sleep. I'm hoping to get to the Maroon Bells for sunrise. The closer I get to Aspen the less optomistic for finding a place to hide and sleep I become.

I turn off the highway down a couple different roads with no suitable spot found. Finally I turn off some paved road along a river. There were several pullouts along the river bank. I chose one that seemed reasonably secluded and pulled as far off the road as possible. I had no idea where I really was, but I decide to just sleep on the ground next to the bike, without the tent. I wanted an early start in the morning and I wasn't sure if I was breaking any laws "camping" here.

About 10 minutes after laying down, here comes the law. A local sheriff deputy stops to check me out. I didn't mind so much, because she was plenty cute. She didn't think I was breaking any laws, so I insisted I was just going to sleep right here.

And I did... lightly. There was way to much traffic. Looking at the map later I found I was just outside of Basalt. After about 5 hours of restless sleep, I jump up to face the cold ride to the Maroon Bells.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #48
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 3 Map

BTW, I edited the full route map. There were errors in the first one I posted.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #49
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Maroon Bells

The Maroon Bells are considered one of the most photographed sites in Colorado, especially in fall.
I knew I was probably about one week late for peak color, but I was optomistic it might still be colorful.
It was about 35 degrees when I started riding, but by time I reached the parking lot near Maroon Lake
it was 27 degrees. It was a little chilly, but I was excited as this was by main objective of this trip.
Even in the dark, I could tell I was riding through spectacular scenery. It was still dark when
I reached the parking lot, but while hiking to the lake I was able to put away the flashlight.

Most of the aspens had been stripped by the winds.

I was struck by the fact these mountains appear much smaller in photographs.
While standing in their shadows, they tower over you.

I ate my cereal bar and watched the light slowly change.

Finally, the sun reaches the Maroon Bells.

Let's go check out Indepedence Pass.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #50
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
All I have is WOW!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #51
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Very nice mixture of black and white and color, HDR and standard photos. Thanks for taking the time to share.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #52
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Oh my word, I just don't know quite what to say Dave those are fantastic photos,
rhlrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #53
Caymen8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Wow! I've lived in Colorado my whole life and have ridden all of the Colorado roads you covered. Your photos do a fantastic job of displaying just what a pretty area this is! Great photography and a very nice, concise report style. Well done!

'09 KLR 650
'08 Road Glide
Caymen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #54
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,556
SO SO SO Great!!! As always.

I also enjoy your brevity with words. Being dyslexic, I often tire quickly reading too much. It certainly makes images more important to me, THANKS>
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #55
Oli-San
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thumb Amazing

These are amazing pictures! Very nice road trip too.

This is very inspiring!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #56
long distance rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Great fall ride

I've ridden, hunted and fished all the country you are photographing ever since I lived in Colorado Springs back in the early 70's. As I now sit in Northern Arizona, in the butt ugly mohave desert, I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed your trip. I'm heading for Elk camp next week but by the time I get to the Stone Cellar Guard station cabin, southeast of Gunnison, the color will mostly be gone....still a great place to be but the color sure makes a big difference.

At my advanced state of decay I probably only have 15 or 20 years of fall riding left, you can bet that I will not miss another fall ride in my beloved Colorado mountains. Your pictures have inspired me to get off my A$$ and get out on the bike for the best riding time and place of the year, fall in Colorado.

Thanks for a great ride report,

Mike
long distance rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #57
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Independence Pass

I rolled through the ritzy town of Aspen without stopping and headed up Independence Pass.
Most of the aspens up here are stripped naked.

I found that each of the passes ridden on this trip have completely different personalities or feelings.
Independence Pass seemed to change character around every bend.

The Aprilia was definitely in her element. The big V-twin had no problem powering me up, up, up...

We got high. 12,095 feet up. I was happy the road was clear this late in the season. Denver had already seen a few inches of snow a couple days ago.

Down the other side. Oh Man! I'm having fun now!

The road does a 180 down in this little valley...

...and heads back in this direction...

...like this.

All to quickly I am in Twin Lakes looking back to where I've just ridden.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #58
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRider View Post
All I have is WOW!
That's enough. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
Very nice mixture of black and white and color, HDR and standard photos. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Thanks! I do like to mix it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlrdr View Post
Oh my word, I just don't know quite what to say Dave those are fantastic photos,
Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #59
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
I like your reports Dave as I get a new background for my computer with every trip report. Thanks for the great reports!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #60
peejay3206
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Truly stunning pictures Dave.

Thanks.
peejay3206 is offline   Reply With Quote