Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post

I think the K-76's might be just slightly better than the Tourances on Forrest Service type roads.

I am interested in whether they will outlive the Tourances and that will probably influence what I decide to buy next.
My rear didn't. Pretty good tire, though I can't say it is better than an Anakee2 on dirt roads. About equal to a Tourance. Anakee2 is marginally better on the dirt. Still an ice-skate. I just usually buy based on sale price between the Anakee and the Tourance.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
redwing51
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Put Heidenau K76's front and rear on a 2002 1150GS and got 10000 on the rear before replacing. The front is still on. I am not super aggressive on pavement, and haven't had a problem. Have used Tourances and Anakees before. The Heidenau's have surpassed them in mileage. No complaints. I will probably replace with a new set of K76's in the spring. I agree that everything is a compromise, and tires are pretty much a personal preference. Try em, if you like em, try em again.
redwing51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
GSANVH OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Expensive but, if it were possible to have two sets of rims with different style of tires, that you could switch back and forth, that would be be idea.
GSANVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
The TKC front is great on all surfaces (except wet pavement), and I'd mount it with a Heidi rear if I was doing a 5000 mile gravel/dirt/rock only run.
Just did a 4300 mile trek like that through NM, UT, AZ, CO, and TX. I put a TKC on the front and Tourance on the rear. Held up great on the road (even in the rain), and was just as good in the dirt.

Wayne
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Just did a 4300 mile trek like that through NM, UT, AZ, CO, and TX. I put a TKC on the front and Tourance on the rear. Held up great on the road (even in the rain), and was just as good in the dirt.

Wayne
I've seen a few people suggest this combo and I guess I don't get it. Shouldn't the rear tire be the one with the big tread blocks for better grip on wet, muddy surfaces?

Seriously, I really don't claim to understand so don't take this as a question of your experience. I would very much like to learn from the experiences of others. It just seems counter-intuitive to me. Please educate me. I do mostly pavement but would like to find a combo that allows me to get off road a few times a year without compromising too much of my handling and performance the rest of the time.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I've seen a few people suggest this combo and I guess I don't get it. Shouldn't the rear tire be the one with the big tread blocks for better grip on wet, muddy surfaces?

Seriously, I really don't claim to understand so don't take this as a question of your experience. I would very much like to learn from the experiences of others. It just seems counter-intuitive to me. Please educate me. I do mostly pavement but would like to find a combo that allows me to get off road a few times a year without compromising too much of my handling and performance the rest of the time.
That's my usual go to combo. It is very popular in Texas where our pavement chews up TKC rear tires in 2000 miles. The front TKC sticks in loose caliche turns and as long as you don't care what your rear tire is doing back there lol you just keep spinning happily along. And yeah. It don't rain much around here. So no mud.

You can wear a TKC out in a long weekend to big bend from Central Texas. High speed 500 out. 500 dirt. High speed 500 back. Toast.

And that TKC front don't slow me down a bit on the street. Till about the 3500 mile mark when it looks like the jagged Tetons. Then it will jar your teeth out. lol

slowoldguy screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 12:55 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
mixed tires?

The TKC in front won't wash out and slide in the dirt as easily as the Tourance. The Toruance on the rear, if aired down, will do fine in most dirt for most guys.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
vipers28
GSA Mountains

Oddometer: 115
I purchased a set of the Heidenau tires for my GSA. Once they got broken in a bit they held the road fine. Myself and others have found that they typically leak on BMW rims. My friends leak but mine don't, just something to be aware of. I have put 4k on them and still running strong, most of it off road.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post

In dirt riding where most of your turning is done by counter-balancing, it's more important to have the front have a good grip on the terrain. Hence the knobby up front. It makes the bike easier to control. Fronts also wear slower than rears so they tolerate knobbies better. In the dirt a rear slide is easier to control because the bike tends to be more upright. In street riding where the tires have much, much more grip and you can lean the bike over to corner, most of your grip comes from the back tire. Having a less aggressive tread gives you more grip on the pavement. The smaller spaces and lower tread flexes less, puts more rubber on the road, give more grip and thus feels more secure. Wet performance is also related to compound and drainage. The front is primarily used to change direction so it doesn't need ultimate grip. This is obviously different from racing where you can spend a lot of time finding the optimal balance between front and rear grip on a predictable course that has a minimal amount of variables and distractions.

With the Heidenau's the tread construction is a good middle ground for dirt and street but the compound (and the bias-ply carcass) tends to be a little hard hence the complaints about grip. The tradeoff is it's very long wearing. I'd like to see the K60 in a radial. That might solve some of the grip issues.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
I have been averaging around 10-12K front, 6-7K from the rear on Tourances and I'm probably 85% asphalt / 15% dirt/gravel.
Have you tried A2's. I have 10,700 miles on Linda's A2's, half of it loaded with pillion, and I'm not even close to needing to replace front or rear. A few years ago when the A2's were introduced, a German (IIRC?) motorcycle magazine ranked the A2's superior to any other tire on wet pavement. I can also vouch for them on dry pavement while schooling the squids in the tight stuff... Which I've also done on TKC's... Oh, the look I got when they finally catch up to me at the next watering hole, when they see Linda proudly wearing knobbies!!! They just scratch their heads and stare...

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers28 View Post
I purchased a set of the Heidenau tires for my GSA. Once they got broken in a bit they held the road fine. Myself and others have found that they typically leak on BMW rims. My friends leak but mine don't, just something to be aware of. I have put 4k on them and still running strong, most of it off road.
I experienced the K60 front leak on my 2007 GS when I first installed them last year and found it to be very frustrating to have to deal with the issue. I would air up in the morning, ride 50-60 miles and find that the air pressure would leak down from 32 psi to 10 psi or less.

I had the shop that I purchased them through contact the distributor and they said that when you first install the tire you need to air it up to 60 psi, ride it around for a few easy miles and then return to the correct air pressure. They also replaced my half-worn front tire (the troublesome one) and after a quick clean-up of the bead surface and the procedure above it seems like it has all but solved the issue on my bike.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #27
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Is Maryland completely paved?
Nope, but 90% of my riding is on pavement, and a good portion of that is carving corners through the Appalachians. I took my 900 pound Harley with street Dunlops off-pavement plenty of times, my 600 pound BMW with PR3s does just fine. If I really wanted a dirt bike, I'd buy one.

I have no intention of pretending to be Ewan McBoorman. I ride 30,000 miles a year and I need a comfortable bike that's fun to rip through corners. The GS/A fits that bill as well as anything for the moment.

The K60 was freaking awful on-pavement, and everyone on a GS/A spends more time on-pavement than off. If you're happy with the K60's level of on-road performance, then I'm happy for you. A well-ridden Burgman will run rings around a GS/A with K60s on it.
'05Train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
johnny80s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I have a set on my new to me 07 GS. I am not a very aggressive rider but I think they are great so far. I took them down a few dirt roads and they seemed fine. I did not get crazy with them but they gave me a confident feeling. Mine have about 2500 miles on them so far and have lots of tread left.
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 737
The k60’s…. You will have to try them for yourself to see if they are the right tires for you .
What I like:
Long lasting, changed the rear with 15k Km and it was still good for at least another 2k km. The front has 20k km and is still going strong. The front has all the grip I need on and off road “ IF” you are not chasing a Ducati on paved road or a motocross off road. The rear is good on and off road.
What I did not like:
Very noisy. The front always leaks and the rougher the roads the more it will be leaking. I never find the rear to be very stable on paved road and the more it wore the worse it got.
So…
I’m new with the “adventure motorcycle world”, (I used to be a Ducati/Ninja guy), but I do believe they are the best 50/50 tires out there. I’m on the list to get the Mitas E07 and next year I will make my mind about which one I like the best.
I now have a front K60 and a rear Anakee and I’m happy with that minus the leak at the front. The rear Anakee is way better on road and the K60 is better off road but the Anakee get me thru off the beaten path. Still waiting for Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler and Michelin to do a “true” 50/50 tire. Those are the brands I normally stick with. I like the Contitrailattack the best on paved road, never try the TCK 80 yet but from what I read they do wear fast.
Still waiting for the perfect tires

BordenBmw screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 09:42 PM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
jackhammer50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yeah. But some of us like to eff with the "less than stellar" sport-bikers on a tight twisty road where their 200 hp advantage don't help them for shit. It is terrible fun.

The route I draw for our Rally is just such a route. Loose dirt, hard rocks, powder caliche, but also some tight, tight one lane paved "not race-track smooth" goat-paths where a long travel GS can be king against a sport-bike in less than expert hands, and some big sweepers where you are dialing up the big pig to some un-impressive top speed numbers with the throttle pinned in 5th. We don't go after the sport-bikes on that last section. But on that little stuff? Yeah. It's on.

It's how I like to ride so , for me, the K60 gives up too much twisty road performance but , like I said, I can see other trips where it might be my tire of choice.
Slowoldguy, if for nothing more than to hear that rhetoric roll off your lips to the early morning breakfast riders
that then storm off to do their damage to those poor roads out there... only to later gather at their special meeting places to celebrate the day ....then I would be there truly at one with them and that day!

N
I
jackhammer50 is offline   Reply With Quote