Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #91
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Yeah, I did actually mean the throttle position calibration.
FWIW I now think my problem lies somewhere else. When I was putting the clutch cover back on I didn't replace the gasket, and the dealer had lightly rtv'd it the last time they were in there. Well I decided it would be a good idea to get some gasket material and cut my own gasket, which puts a couple of mm gap between the cover and the case. My clutch was dragging with the lever completely pulled in, and well out of the friction zone. Well I read some posts about people who had their clutch covers warp and cause the same symptoms. I'm hoping that that little added gap from the gasket material is causing my problem. I was going to dig into it tonight but I had a class all day, so I'll be pulling the cover off tomorrow, pulling my gasket out and lightly RTV'ing it again. I REALLY hope this is the source of my problem.. If not I'll be checking the valve clearance again, although I'm pretty much 100% on them being exactly in the middle of acceptable clearance.

Anywho, hopefully that resolves THAT problem and I will be able to get on with the PCV and Autotune business.

FWIW I did have to adjust the throttle position calibration as it was maxing out at 98%
Mr F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #92
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Well I've been playing with this auto tune for a little while now. I'm still fighting clutch drag which I may have narrowed down to warped clutch plates. Anyway here are some screenshots of the fueling autotune is coming up with. I started with the zero map and at first I had leaned out my target afr to high 13:s, but after reading a few articles on efi tuning and speaking with some local auto/moto tuners I set it back to 13.0:1 across the board. Which is richer than Dynojet's target afr's for the LV map. These are my map revisions so far. A few fuel ups between autotune table applications. I would say 150-200 miles. This is my "fun" bike so this is 90% aggressive riding.

I noticed that the LV map adds fuel everywhere, but autotune seems to add fuel in the low end and take fuel out of the midrange and top end.

Revision 1

Revision 2

Revision 3

If anyone has anything to compare this to, please share. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #93
Mr F
I hear banjos.

talking to myself but thought I'd update on the information I posted above. It seems my power commander was displaying 50% of the actual rpm, which explains the correction only in the lower rpm range. I have since received a replacement, which turned out to have a completely different problem. The wire harness out the back of the pcv was damaged, and at certain angles would kill fuel to the bike.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #94
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Keep posting, I for one read all of these. :) (By the way, those map images of yours are not showing.)

I'm in the process of trying to diagnose a problem with the bike's crankshaft sensor (pulse sensor / pickup coil sensor / whatchacallit), which seems to give my PCV some problems. When bike warms up, it seems to lose some of the pickup coil pulse strenght, resulting in little annoying cut-offs when running with PCV. Without PCV, no problem. After talking to an old bmw bike tech, he suggested either trying out a new sensor, or seeing if the sensor could be adjusted just a tad closer = the coil to freewheel gap may be slightly off, like only 0.1-0.5 mm off or so could result in bike acting up sometimes.

I purchased a 2nd hand pickup coil from Aprilia Pegaso, which shares almost identical Rotax with the Beemers, and that pickup coil is 100% the same. In fact, the pickup coils that I've seen, all look very much alike, very simple device. Hope to be able to run a test ride this weekend.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #95
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Quote:
Keep posting, I for one read all of these. :) (By the way, those map images of yours are not showing.)

I'm in the process of trying to diagnose a problem with the bike's crankshaft sensor (pulse sensor / pickup coil sensor / whatchacallit), which seems to give my PCV some problems. When bike warms up, it seems to lose some of the pickup coil pulse strenght, resulting in little annoying cut-offs when running with PCV. Without PCV, no problem. After talking to an old bmw bike tech, he suggested either trying out a new sensor, or seeing if the sensor could be adjusted just a tad closer = the coil to freewheel gap may be slightly off, like only 0.1-0.5 mm off or so could result in bike acting up sometimes.

I purchased a 2nd hand pickup coil from Aprilia Pegaso, which shares almost identical Rotax with the Beemers, and that pickup coil is 100% the same. In fact, the pickup coils that I've seen, all look very much alike, very simple device. Hope to be able to run a test ride this weekend.
That's strange, I can see the graphs. Maybe a photobucket issue. Although the information they contain is irrelevant at this point.

Did you notice any metal shavings? I have heard of some cases where the starter sprag clutch would fail and leave metal shavings which would short the pickup coil.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #96
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
That's strange, I can see the graphs. Maybe a photobucket issue. Although the information they contain is irrelevant at this point.

Did you notice any metal shavings? I have heard of some cases where the starter sprag clutch would fail and leave metal shavings which would short the pickup coil.
No problem with the sprag clutch or shavings shorting the coil. Little adjustment with the pickup coil position seemed to do the trick for now.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #97
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Hi Mr F,
Are you still fighting clutch drag?

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #98
FinnDuro OP
Winter wonderlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
Hi Mr F,
Nope. It went away with a fresh oil change and hard riding. :)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #99
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
Hi Mr F,
Quote:
Nope. It went away with a fresh oil change and hard riding. :)
It was partially due to the fact that I had placed the top plate in the back of the pack. Which is stupid on my part because I even took the plates out and rechecked them numerous times, and kept putting them in the right order and reinstalling them... except I would always reinstall them backwards. Also another part of the problem is the ASV clutch perch I was using. It's for a crf, and it didn't have enough adjustment to get the friction point out far enough. I ended up using a clutch perch from a yamaha r1 (i had short levers left over from my r1 that i sold) and that was perfect.

If you or someone has recently serviced or removed the clutch pack then it's likely that it's not in the correct order. I don't remember the markings exactly, but each clutch fiber plate will have something on it like 3a or something to that effect, well one of them will be have a different marking, which may or may not have been 4a, that is the top plate.

It could also be your perch, I initially ditched the stock perch for the same reason I ditched the ASV perch, not enough adjustment. With the OEM, unless the lever was pulled back right against the grip the clutch would not completely disengage.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #100
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 417
My install is not going as smoothly. I just sent DJ an email with questions. Let me know if any of you know the answers.

1) With bike off, I connected the USB cable. power commander v 1.0.6.1 recognizes the unit. trying to send the initial map, I get "send map aborted - invalid map type" - what am I missing?
2) I am unable to turn on autotune option in PCV, it does not show up as a power commander configure choice and when I try to do it in the options section, it will not let me keep those changes. What do I need to do to enable the Autotune? I watched the download tutorial and my configure choices are quite different from the video choices. Is it possible that I can only make that configuration change with the bike on so the autotune is powered up and recognized by the PCV?
3) the BMW G650x maps that I downloaded have 2 cylinders, but this bike is a single - does the PCV only end up using one cylinder's map? which one?
4) when I activate the Auto tune will the AFR chart have recommended AFR targets or do I need to populate the chart? if so, should I start at 13.2 in all cells and see what happens to the mileage? actually, I know some cells are supposed to remain at 0.0 so where can I find those specifics?
5) do I have to do anything in the software before I disconnect the cable?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #101
aprilian
Can I change this?

Interesting development. I watched a You tube vid from Chris at Dynojet which noted that there was flashing on some of the CAN connectors that prevented them from snapping in all the way. Both ends of my cable and the termination plug all had the flashing and once I cleaned that off they all went home with a click. Shutdown the program on laptop and restarted it. Success! The Laptop now sees the bike and gets real time info. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal_B View Post
When running and plugged into the computer, at idle it reads the RPM as around 700-800 which is clearly about half of what it really is. A connection problem or 'by design'? Cheers, mal
.. the laptop RPM is reading TWICE the actual RPM (or four times what Mal had!). While in actuality this could give me twice the granularity of a standard install, I'd much rather just have it work as intended - making it easier to tweak.

Any insight into what could be causing this doubling of RPM?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #102
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post

3) the BMW G650x maps that I downloaded have 2 cylinders, but this bike is a single - does the PCV only end up using one cylinder's map? which one?
Sounds like somehow you've gotten an F650 map. BMW has its nomenclature all screwed up. The poor man's version of the 800 twin is still an 800 twin but they call it an F650. (Changed to 700 this year.)
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #103
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I've been reading this old thread that seems to have gone cold after a couple of years. Alas, our X series seem to be lost in a continuing snow of time. Discontinued and slowly relegated to the dust bins of history. Sigh.

Anyway, Im still enjoying my XCo. Runs like a raped ape. I've posted a lot over the years on the XCo thread.

Everything is just fine but, you know how it is, we can't leave well-enough alone.

I am casually interested in a Power Commander. I'm currently running a Booster Plug with no problems. Just curious.

First of all, this Finn dude is amazing. Ditto the boy from Norway. Like most of the folks in Scandinavia (I've been there a few times), they speak english better than most people here ! Sheeze, they've even got a few of the slang colloquilisms down. Anyway, I appreciate their tenacity regarding the PCV issue.

My big question: Has anyone using a Booster Plug ditched it and installed a PCV? Improvement worth the cost? Somebody asked this earlier but I never saw an answer. Probably (or prolly as Finn says) nobody in this category.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #104
aprilian
Can I change this?

From studying this thread before my install, I think the booster plug tricks one of the temp sensors which gives a constant start-up enrichment. This can cure many problems, but may add fuel in place where the bike has too much fuel already. Look at the PCV fuel tables for this bike and you will see some cells have a negative number (download their software then get the G650X maps, they will open in the software).

My ranking (based on improvement possible - which interestingly is the inverse of bang for the buck) would be
Booster Plug
Larger injector
PCV
PCV with Autotune

I chose the PCV and Autotune with a map switch. I am building two maps - Street and Track. I will Autotune each with a specific fuel (non-Oxy for track). When they are fairly stable (not getting much correction from Autotune) I will remove the Autotune and use the map switch to alternate between Street and Track. That way I will have max power at track and better balance of power and mileage on street.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #105
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

My Xco is running great with the Booster Plug. Yes, it is simply a temp sensor modifier. The BMW ECU does the rest.