User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 236
Boyer ignition

I need a Boyer ignition for my R-75 ISDT project bike. I need the one that includes electronic advance. I understand that the Dyna unit requires a mechanical advance and my bike came without the ignition so Boyer seems to be the best route. Does Pazon make a BMW unit? I am open to other brands. Painting frame now, photos will come soon. Thanks
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
I need a Boyer ignition for my R-75 ISDT project bike. I need the one that includes electronic advance. I understand that the Dyna unit requires a mechanical advance and my bike came without the ignition so Boyer seems to be the best route. Does Pazon make a BMW unit? I am open to other brands. Painting frame now, photos will come soon. Thanks
I have the Boyer, but I think you might consider this... http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/EnD...-p/edl-ign.htm .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 326
I've gotten several Boyer units from Rocky Point Cycle - although this was when Stan Smith still owned RPC and it was in Xenia, OH. I've not done any business with the new owner of RPC. I am quite happy with the Boyer units on my airheads. link to RPC follows -
http://www.rockypointcycle.com/p-bmw...rics-9606.html
robsmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,388
Are you sure you want a Boyer? We just installed one at my tech day last weekend and nothing fit right. It took hours filing fitting.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
tete
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
I recently installed one. I am a complete noob. Never did anything mechanical on a motorcycle . Installed in about two hours. Required very little filing. I am very happy. Really easy to set up.

One thing to note. At first I was disappointed because I could not get the bike to shut down, finally I looked at the instructions and it turned out I had it wired incorrectly. But once I wired it correctly it turn off as it should. Not only that the bike starts like a champ. If your bike is pre-79 I believe it requires slightly different wiring or it may not shut off properly. You will need to connect the power to the coil rather than battery directly as suggested on the newer models.

For tuning I called them over at Rocky, and I followed the instruction. Basically use a timing gun but connect it to a static battery or another non running vehicle. Don't use the battery on the bike while setting the timing. Set at idle and set at 4000+ rpm, a few adjustments and whammo! the business.

Now I'll be honest, being a total noob I got alot of help here on the forums, but if you have any experience what so ever it would be a breeze.

I essentially had to learn how ignitions worked and such.

But I could not be happier now. The bike is running like a champ and I have never taken it to any shop. Everything by my nooby self. Thanks to the guys here of course.

I have heard that they seem to vary a bit in regards to how the advance mechanism thingy fits on the cam end. For me because I have a repaired cam tip it was the obvious choice.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Are you sure you want a Boyer? We just installed one at my tech day last weekend and nothing fit right. It took hours filing fitting.
Chris, have you installed an EnduraSpark? http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/EnD...-p/edl-ign.htm . Airhead Wrangler has one and I am considering it.
p.s. I had no trouble installing my Boyer, and have had ZERO problems for many years.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 04:10 PM Reason: additions
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
A buddy has one or the points setup, I am going to try the Boyer, he used it for over 100k without trouble, and I can always go back to points.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
R27warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
website Boyer Bransden..

... with all the information you might need:

www.boyerbransden.com

Cheers,
Rob

R27warrior screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:07 AM Reason: spelling..
R27warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Chris, have you installed an EnduraSpark? http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/EnD...-p/edl-ign.htm . Airhead Wrangler has one and I am considering it.
p.s. I had no trouble installing my Boyer, and have had ZERO problems for many years.
I have. It is a nice set up.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I have. It is a nice set up.
Cool. I may install it. Cuz, I just can't leave my bike alone - always gotta be messin' with it.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Dyna

Just as a correction, the Dyna III has electron advance built in just like the Boyer. I like Dyna slightly better, but the Boyer is fine and probably cheaper. You can actually call Dyna and get a tech on the phone.

If you are thinking of the Dyna ignition booster that is a different animal and not really an "ignition".

Eric