Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
dbrum OP
totally n0ob

Oddometer: 39
We'll keep it in mind... we do have a few more days we could use if needed, and even, cut our trip short at say Yellowstone and head north into Canada from there, back through the Rockies, and back to Ontario.

As a general rule of thumb, what's the max # of hours per day you would do/have done on a trip like this. Not taking into account stops for sightseeing, photos, etc that are all must do's at places like Yellowstone, etc. We were thinking 4-5 in the morning, break for food/rest then another 4 hours in the evening to stop before sunset or close to that. Averaging 110KM on highways, that's 800+ KM's per day we could do - not saying we should or want to, but is that a wrong assumption to go on based on your experiences?
dbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
You can do the shown route in two weeks of steady riding ,just no time
for a lot of hanging out at anybody's place though .
Consider it a "drive- by " vacation. Without strict plans and commitments
You will be free to chop it off at any point to start the return leg.
The first time I ever rode out west In ' 73 It was a route quite similar to that
but only up to Calgary and into BC to Kamloops where we
turned south down the Okanagan to start heading homeward again.
All together that trip took just over two weeks and was a fine introduction,
a bit rushed but a good learning drive- by experience
Since then I have done numerous trips out that way at much more relaxed 3 to4 week
pace to expand far beyond that first ride all over western Canad and USA.
It all depends on how you set your
priorities.If you miss something it will give a perfect reason to take
the next ride .
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,077
I try not to ride at night at all so getting a place to stay I do well before sunset. It sucks when you get to a place where you thought you could stay but there is nothing. Then having to ride at night and seeing the glow of some animals eyes running along the side of the road is nerve racking.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
800km per day is a lot of riding. Doesn't even leave you much time to get off and stretch. You will not maintain a 110kph average - you need to slow for every town, stop for gas and meals, etc. I suppose it would be OK if you were just trying to reach a destination but it's too much to do any sightseeing.

On your way back consider going north through the upper peninsula of Michigan rather than south. South you get to experience the wonders of Milwaukee, Chicago, Gary, etc. North you get some of the world's best scenery.

My wife an I did an 8 day ride from Winnipeg to Michigan's upper peninsula this summer. We didn't see a lot of things we wanted to, 8 days was just not enough time....
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 177
800km per day ?

If you want to enjoy the ride, ride safely, see much of anything and take pictures then I'd suggest that you budget for a maximum of 400km per day.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
So, if it's 3600km from CGY to YYZ, how can 400km/day make the trip out and back in 2 weeks?
Has the above inmate ever been out of Ontario?
In my opinion, once you hit the prairies you should hammer through. If you only
do 400km a day on the flats it'll feel like you can see your previous night's camp site
GP640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
All them pariries, US or Canada have to be good for 6-800 Kms days or more. All depends on your bike/seat/butts if you can do it again the next day however.

Don't be shy about detouring around any of the big American cities....Chicago etc!!! Going through them will not save you anything but a few Kms and increases the risks big time.

And if you have to go through any of them...DO NOT set your GPS on avoiding highways, going through such cities as St Louis that way may just take you to some places where you won't even want to get off the bike. Make sure you have lots of fuel if you think it may happen or GTF out of there!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
If you can swing closer to three weeks for the loop, you'd probably have a much better time.

One thing to remember as you use Google Maps to calculate mileage is that you're getting the most direct roads, which are usually the worst for riding enjoyment. Based on the above map, it's about 10,000km for two weeks, or 700-800km per day, every day. But that distance skips right by some of the best riding, scenery, sights, and small towns in North America as you hurtle down the interstate. If you actually want to hit some awesome roads, start adding miles. And if you want to stop to see some cool stuff, start taking away from that daily distance because you're not doing any sightseeing at that rate.

You'll blast through the entire width of British Columbia in a day or two max to keep time, down the Hwy 5 and 1 slab instead of taking in the Crowsnest, Duffey Road, Sea to Sky, plus a long leisurely lunch on a patio in Whistler. Tear down I-90 through Montana right past the Beartooth and the Bighorns. Cross WA and ID on the interstate instead of "99 miles of curves" roads like North Cascades and Lolo Pass.

If you're set on making it to the coast, I'd beg, borrow, or steal enough time to take 3 weeks off, make a beeline for the Rockies with some long fast days while you're fresh, slow right down from there to enjoy the awesomeness of a PNW loop all the way to Rapid City SD, and then blast home to TO iron butt style. Anything worth seeing within a week's loop of Southern Ontario you can do in another, shorter trip.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
You may want to reroute a little, cross at Sarnia,avoid Detroit and maybe ferry across the lake then come back through "the Soo", could save you a couple days that. Couple days of "not that interesting riding" that can easily be done at another time. Unlike someone else I may have tried to help, you sound pretty reasonnable re the trip planning. Big deceptions sometimes when you find out the day before the trip that all your planning was for nothing and that you have to change the plans at the last minute.

Just did a 12 days 8,000 Kms a couple years back,but for one day I took for sightseeing and relax my sore butt, sure did not find much time for other sightseeings. However found plenty of twisties & back roads, that's what I wanted to see more than the typical overcrowded attractions I may have already seen a few times anyway.

Go West as fast as you can, then advise for sightseeing/scheduling.Way too much to see out here....!