User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #106
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Pennsylvania Rte 209

I tried to shot a picture from a stoplight of a particularly nice old hotel on Penn rte 209 while I was waiting in traffic. The sun was the wrong way and that's my hand trying to block it. Crappy picture but it does show an example of the nice old places that can be found on PA rte 209. In taking this picture I failed to see a sign for a turn in rte 209 and went of course for a while. Have to remember to "ride the bike"

Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #107
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Nittany Budget Motel, State College, PA

Here is where I stayed last night. Highly recommended. Affordable at $55, friendly staff, free breakfast, clean comfortable and it is also a beer store with a wide selection. Nice.

When you check in you fill out a little form and tell them waht time and what you want for breakfast. It gets delivered to your room. Check this out. It reminds me of prison movies but it's kind of cool.

There is a little locked pass through by your door, they put you breakfast in there without disturbing you.

Outside view

Inside View as breakfast arrives

Neat!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #108
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
In!

Here's some pic's if you are near Phoenix. I was on the Great Western Trail for awhile:

dmottv screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:08 AM Reason: added map
dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #109
craftsmanjoc
In for the long haul

Oddometer: 21
Woot Woot

Rode through Shediac a few years ago on the way to NewF and Lab. Beautiful area.
I'm in for the ride report. Especially as I'll be doing the same trip this spring.
My question is how much did you budget per day if I may ask. Interesting to see different
peoples takes on this.
Thanks and Best Wishes
JC
craftsmanjoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #110
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv View Post
In!

Here's some pic's if you are near Phoenix. I was on the Great Western Trail for awhile:

Don't think I'l get out as far as Phoenix but you never know. Welcome along for the ride
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #111
Kedgi OP
Banned

Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanjoc View Post
Rode through Shediac a few years ago on the way to NewF and Lab. Beautiful area.
I'm in for the ride report. Especially as I'll be doing the same trip this spring.
My question is how much did you budget per day if I may ask. Interesting to see different
peoples takes on this.
Thanks and Best Wishes
JC
I figure on an average of about $50/day. It's a lot more than that in the North, when it's cold, you need a motel room and they are expensive. It's better as I get further south.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #112
Crank-it
Back-Off

Oddometer: 15
By gar! The critter went and done it.

Hey Dwight, I was not sure you had the balls to embark on this epic (and dangerous) trip by yourself. You dah man!
Wish I was there with yah. I am there in spirit and available for tech support by phone anytime. When you get to Argentina ask for a Moosehead and see what the reaction is.
Cheers,
Tom
Crank-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #113
Kedgi OP
Banned

Balls Shmalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-it View Post
Hey Dwight, I was not sure you had the balls to embark on this epic (and dangerous) trip by yourself. You dah man!
Wish I was there with yah. I am there in spirit and available for tech support by phone anytime. When you get to Argentina ask for a Moosehead and see what the reaction is.
Cheers,
Tom
Balls Shmalls

All you gotta do is get on your bike and ride further south each day. Not fun tonight arriving in Asheville, NC....More on that later. Everything is fine just a bit frustrating, more so than it had to be. I'll explain in my update........

Big update with pictures coming. I have been on the Parkway away from the internet for a while now. I was camping beyond the reach of WiFi and Cell phones. I did stop to call Miss Angele but other than that I have just been riding and camping.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #114
Kedgi OP
Banned

After Breakfast

After Breakfast in State College PA, I headed for my friends Roland and Karen's place in Hancock MD. It was dry and cool that morning. But while climbing a mountain pass between me and Hancock there was a trace of moisture and that's all it took to make the bike stutter and stumble.

As soon as I got to dryer conditions the bike was fine.

I rode past miles of small farms and changing foliage on PA Rte 522.

I had my fingers crossed all the way, but the bike never faltered as soon as it dryed out.

I finally made it to K&R's about two days behind schedule.

What a nice place they have.

Their pasture and a few of their horses

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #115
Kedgi OP
Banned

After Breakfast

After Breakfast in State College PA, I headed for my friends Roland and Karen's place in Hancock MD. It was dry and cool that morning. But while climbing a mountain pass between me and Hancock there was a trace of moisture and that's all it took to make the bike stutter and stumble.

As soon as I got to dryer conditions the bike was fine.

I rode past miles of small farms and changing foliage on PA Rte 522.

I had my fingers crossed all the way, but the bike never faltered as soon as it dryed out.

I finally made it to K&R's about two days behind schedule.

What a nice place they have.

Their pasture and a few of their horses

A Brook runs through their property

We took a tour in the side by side

Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #116
Kedgi OP
Banned

K&R's place in MD

Here is their Fire pit/party area, with not a neighbour for miles, right by the brook. They go tubinh there in Summer

More of the horses and pastureland

Their Brook

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #117
Kedgi OP
Banned

Mason Dixon Line

Some truly free range chickens

See that cut in the woods north of their pasture? That is the Pennsylvania/Maryland border. The Mason-Dixon Line

Karen and Roland live as far north as you possibly can and still be in the South

Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #118
Kedgi OP
Banned

Annie the Goat

here is Roland with Annie the Goat. Annie is very friendly, a lot like a dog and she loves to ride in the side by side.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #119
Kedgi OP
Banned

Work on the bike

Roland and I had a few of these

Which are extremely good!!!

Before we got down to the serious task of finding out what was wrong with the trusty KLR

And this is what we found, or more accurately Roland found while I watched and learned

Har to believe that those little wires could cause a loss of two days travel and cause and otherwise totally reliable bike to stumble.

Thanks to Roland, the KLR is fixed and back on track. Yay! Thanks Roland!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #120
Kedgi OP
Banned

Bike Fixed

With the bike fixed. I pressed on the next day, It was only then I relIized, dummy me, I had not taken Karens picture. I was sure I had but I didn't

I shot down Rte 522 and got on the Shenadoah Skyline Drive. A $10 ticket is good for a week for a bike. What a deal. It's an awesome road, the weather was perfect.

I took a few pictures but It is not possible to capture the beauty of the mountains in Virginia and NC. You will have to come and see for yourselves

All of this fantastic scenery and awesome road to boot. Smooth as glass pavement incredible twists and turns, climbs and descents. It's just wonderful