Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
Heino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Yay, after a long bumpy ride the bike is back in civilization!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxdog View Post
It would help us help you if you posted the details of your bike.

You say bypassing the cooler is impractical- what about blocking off that union completely, as well as its counterpart? Is it the flow side, or return? A lot of coolers only take fractional flow so that might be a solution for the meantime.
I think it's the return side. Blocking off might work, I don't remember how exactly the other side looks. We'll have a closer look tomorrow. It's been a long day..
Heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #32
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
Took a stock 3/4 ton supercab shortbed with our 16 ft flat bed down the south pass (ok so the trailer needs new lights)and got his bike.
Did it with a stock pickup? Who'd have thought? Oh yeah, that'd be me. :-)
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
socially stunted
Addict

Oddometer: 37
Is the damage at that port that protrudes from the oil filter base? Looks like a prime target for a rock. If it is, you might be able to rethread what's left of the port with pipe thread and then have a hose made with the banjo fitting from the cooler to a pipe thread fitting on the engine side. That's depending on what you have at your disposal where the bike is now. It was just a thought.
socially stunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #34
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
If it is totalled, you need to discuss the farkles with them. If they don't pay for them, you can take them off. If you can itemize and justify the price of them, they will pay for them but you can't take them off at that point.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Heino OP
Adventurer

Ha, looks like you can weld the broken off part back on! If the welder now would not have stripped the thread, everything would be perfect. Anyway, this and some spare oil in the topcase should get me to LA tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
rhiosride
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just tell the adjuster you had a wreck. Your policy does not contain a limitation of where the accident happened. Progressive will pay you the actual cash value of the bike less the deductible. You can buy the bike back from them after they salvage the title. You can then sell the parts or fix the bike and then ride it.

Good Luck
Rhio Nelson
Insurance Agency Owner,
rhiosride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #37
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Dang! A lesson here for me. I rarely ask for help, but sometimes there is no choice. Congrats to ADVrider. We are a community that recognizes our individual dilemma's and willing to reach out to help.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #38
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heino View Post
Hey,

I guess I totaled my bike yesterday in a very stupid way: I came down south pass into Saline Valley in Death Valley NP and hit a rock that just chopped the oil inlet from the oil cooler on the engine side off. Only proper way to fix it would be to replace the Crankcase which costs $1500 (+gaskets, labor etc). Total cost probably >2000, that's why I think the bike is totaled.

Anywho, my problem right now is: Will my insurance (progressive) pay for it? Since I'm German and over here only for this trip, I have never dealt with US insurance companies before and I couldn't find any helpful information online. I have collision coverage with a $500 deductible. Will they cover it, although it happened on a dirt road? If not, can I make them pay by telling them I hit a curb or something?

Also I have roadside assistance from them. Will they pay for towing? The bike is still out there, 50 miles from pavement, so towing alone would probably cost me >$1000.

If anyone has answers to these questions, I would be very thankful!

EDIT: I don't want to call them and tell them the truth, thus not getting any money from them, if I could get money with a tiny little lie. That's why I'm asking here.
Sorry, I didn't read through all the comments. It's a collision accident and should be covered by your collision coverage with a $500 deductible (per what you say). Where you will have trouble is if you say you hit a curb. Most Progressive adjusters have more training than...well, most will know right away if you're lying based on the damage and that will only cause delay. What you've described is a collision accident and explaining exactly what happened is likely to bring about the quickest payment, less your deductible.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #39
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
FYI
Bikes engine ended up being ruined and insurance company totaled the bike and paid off.
Poster more than satisified with his insurance experience.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #40
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
What model of bike was this? I want to make sure I never ride one out to the middle of BFE.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #41
socially stunted
Addict

Oddometer: 37
It was an '05 DL650 with no skid plate. I think in his case there's a chance a plate might have saved him.
socially stunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #42
Heino OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socially stunted View Post
It was an '05 DL650 with no skid plate. I think in his case there's a chance a plate might have saved him.
Plate would have saved me, appropriate tires would have been nice as well.. Well, in the end that's why you call it an adventure. From a financial point of view this accident has paid off. From a fun point of view, I would have preferred to not have to deal with insurance companies and logistics for the last weeks of my trip. But it made me meet good people like holckster and especially Magilla! Thanks again guys!

I wanted to post this weeks ago, but I just started a new (and my first) job, so I'm working almost all the time. The spare time I have, I spent meeting all the friends I have not seen for 6 months..
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #43
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,657
All's well that ends well !
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #44
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Laugh

MORGAN STEELE. Hahahahhahahah thats the best comment u made on page 1 i have heard in a while i might put that as my sig line
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote