Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,789
Getting Montana data into Mapsource

I have been using my new Montana for about a month and am still playing around with figuring out the best way to set it up.

I learned the hard way that I need to set archiving to Daily. It looks like archiving clears the Current Track log. Is this correct?

I prefer to use Mapsource over BaseCamp for most routine track editing tasks. The only way I have found to get the data into Mapsource is to set the Montana to disc mode and then in Mapsource use File Open to go to the internal storage\Garmin\gpx\archive directory and load in each day's archive and then save each one as a file.

I found that if I don't put the Montana in disc mode and try to pull tracks from it in Mapsource using the icon, all I get is the Current log which is empty presumably because the data has been sent to Archive.

I like to have all my tracks for a ride in one file. So I then have to open each archive file. Get the track and copy it into the master. I also like to rename each track something more meaningful to me.

It looks like in BaseCamp a reasonable thing to do is create a folder for the trip and then drag each archive file into the folder and rename them and then edit them and then Export the folder as a gdp file for personal archiving and for Mapsource access.

Anybody have a way of doing this that mimics the simple way a 60 works in Mapsource?

Also I usually create waypoints in my planning file when creating tracks for a new trip. I also tend to create a few waypoints on the fly. I haven't learned yet a good way to retrieve these and put them into my final trip file. But I haven't tried much either.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
You're sure making it hard on yourself continuing to use MapSource - but, quite frankly if I had to use the Windows version of BaseCamp, I'd probably stick with MapSource too.

Anyway, using BaseCamp with your Montana connected, you could use the Transfer->Receive from Device... process and import the data directly into a preferred List. This would automatically bring in all of your data - including the Waypoints. Or, if you tend to keep non-event related data on the device, you can still do the drag/drop process.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 537
If you really do not want to use BC (eventually you will have to so why not invest a bit of time to figure it out - if the rest of us can do it, you can too!)...................an alternative would be to connect you Montana to your computer and open the Montana drive through My Computer......navigate to the GPX folder in the Montana (inside the Garmin folder) and cut or copy the *.gpx files to your computer and open them with Mapsource.

Can be done, but IMHO learning to use BC is the ultimate solution and one which you will have to do unless you plan on selling the Montana in future.

J
Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
If you really do not want to use BC (eventually you will have to so why not invest a bit of time to figure it out - if the rest of us can do it, you can too!)...................an alternative would be to connect you Montana to your computer and open the Montana drive through My Computer......navigate to the GPX folder in the Montana (inside the Garmin folder) and cut or copy the *.gpx files to your computer and open them with Mapsource.

Can be done, but IMHO learning to use BC is the ultimate solution and one which you will have to do unless you plan on selling the Montana in future.

J
I do know how to use BaseCamp and spent quite a while learning how to use it. But I just do not like it very much. I do use it for things that I cannot do in Mapsource like dealing with custom maps. I also use it for some initial trip planning where the fact that BC shows minor roads at larger zoom levels than Mapsource is useful. It is also nice to see tracks from multiple trips at once.

But BaseCamp is just too tedious to deal with most of the time. It is very slow to turn on and off. It gets into modes where it locks up for what seems like minutes at a time redrawing the screen etc etc. And if the Montana is connected it takes several more minutes to load in all the stuff I have on the unit.

I am a very impatient person and at 66 years old, that is not likely to change.

Mapsource turns on, opens files, writes and reads data to and from the GPS unit, redraws the screen etc. far faster than BC. When I want to do some quick checking and editing, it is a no-brainer for me to choose Mapsource over BC.

Your suggested solution for opening Montana files is essentially what I have found I have to do, i.e., open one gpx file at a time and then combine all the data into one gpd file.

I suspect in the future I will just use Basecamp for the initial upload of data from the unit into a List and then save the list as a gpd file.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
If you really do not want to use BC (eventually you will have to so why not invest a bit of time to figure it out - J
Why?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Why?
It will be just like Windows98 or Windows 2000 or Windows Millenium.............MapSource is not supported anymore and will, over time, be just like Windows 98.

If you are still using Windows 98 (2000 or M) and do not ever plan to get a new computer or OS.....................then yes my comments about switching over to BC are just dumb...............just keep on snoozing and ignore me and the rest of the changing world around you.

BTW I still keep MapSource on my desktop, but the numbers of times I ever use it anymore is well.......very rare.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
If you are still using Windows 98 (2000 or M) and do not ever plan to get a new computer or OS.....................then yes my comments about switching over to BC are just dumb...............just keep on snoozing and ignore me and the rest of the changing world around you.
Did that make you feel better about yourself?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Did that make you feel better about yourself?

Na.........I'm an old fart too and it is too late for redemption
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
It is very slow to turn on and off. It gets into modes where it locks up for what seems like minutes at a time redrawing the screen etc etc.
I've experienced this as well.

How large is your 'My Collection' in Basecamp?

I've broken up my gps data into several projects each with it's own collection of lists. Then use the Backup & Restore function in Basecamp to switch between them. Prior to switching between projects, do a Backup of it. You can rename the 'BaseCamp.Backup' file to something more descriptive like 'ColoradoTrails.Backup'. If your riding though Peru there's no need to see any data related to your Colorado rides in BC.

Quote:
I am a very impatient person and at 66 years old, that is not likely to change.
You can teach an old dog a new trick!

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:18 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
I've experienced this as well.

How large is your 'My Collection' in Basecamp?

I've broken up my gps data into several projects each with it's own collection of lists. Then use the Backup & Restore function in Basecamp to switch between them. Prior to switching between projects, do a Backup of it. You can rename the 'BaseCamp.Backup' file to something more descriptive like 'ColoradoTrails.Backup'. If your riding though Peru there's no need to see any data related to your Colorado rides in BC.

You can teach an old dog a new trick!

daryl
thanks for the suggestion.

For a while I was putting lots of stuff in BC. Then I started getting virtual memory errors. So I took a lot of files out.
I had loaded a lot of custom maps in from scanning Benchmark pages. I removed all of them except for the ones for the "current" ride.

I kind of like what I have in it now, but I am sure there is room for more cutting.

But is nice to see all the tracks for a given region at once.

I have all the files as gdb because I go back and forth between BC and Mapsource routinely.

I have created a few backups, but I will look into maybe using this to limit what is in BC at any one time.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
According to the dev team, we are going to get some "clean-up" tools in the next update that will hopefully reduce the database bloat. My database jumped from 546MB to twice that size with one software update.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
I have created a few backups, but I will look into maybe using this to limit what is in BC at any one time.
Basecamp keeps all your data in a database and organizes it inside the BC application. Keep in mind that Backup/Restore saves the changes within the BC application, it doesn't save your data outside of BC. You have to use 'Export' to do that. If the backup file becomes corrupted, the changes you made to your lists and its structure are gone.

If you import a new gpx file into BC and make any changes to it, a 'Backup/Restore' will not write or save those changes back to that imported file. Only performing an 'Export' will do that.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 01:57 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote