Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,797
The rear brake issue on the 950's was a NHSTA Recall, not a service bulletin. So KTM will perform this brake fix if it hasn't been done, for the third owner, no matter how old the bike is.

On the other side, the recall was to fix a problem with a mushy rear brake.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #17
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
personally I like sintered Iron brake pads,They bite hard, but do wear your disk.
Im always draging my rear brake, (bad habits are hard to break) I replace my fluid about once a month, Its amazing how quick the fluid can go to crap.
This bike more than any other for some reason. Motul 600. Raceing car stuff changed as regularly as necessary depending on your riding style. That's how I do it after the upgraded parts were fitted. I do mine once a year.
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
BOB RAMSAY OP
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 294
Fixed - air in the brake line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
Assuming you do not have air in the lines from a tip over . Can you lock the rear wheel on asphalt? Try cleaning the rotor again with your favorite solvent . You might find that you have squeezed out more oil. If no go them I too would go with a different compound. 6mm must be pretty close to new.
I kept your comment in mind as I've waited 2+ weeks for a brake cylinder rebuild kit (still back ordered 3+ more weeks)

My bike did tip over, just against a wall - no more than a 45 degee lean angle. Still, the brake system was never 'breeched' so I don't how air would have been introduced to brake system.
Yesterday, I bled the rear brake - Voila! Went ahead and flushed out the old brake fluid with new DOT 5.1

My background is with enduro and off-road riding. I've had bikes up-side-down (and worse!) Never considered the 950 being tipped over to be the culprit.
Whether is was or not - IT WORKED.

Thanks for input. I've been able to do some repairs with simple wisdom from the inmates. Other suggestions seem like the end of the world could near (financially). So, when I need help, I'll take all who take the time to post/comment.

Reminds me of Occam's Razor: it goes something like this: "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one."[

Thx - Bob

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 06:32 AM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
2010, I do that like every 6 months...
Plus one

Simple things must be eliminated first. This will be the problem. This brake runs very hot, this creates moisture in the fluid which turns to air...... no brake.

I do mine every 12months......
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,030
I had mine apart recently, all parts move freely but it still sucks, even though it is firm, I even tried a grippier compound and sanding the rotor. My pucks look like vintage concrete on the mating surface, the material is crumbling away and the flat surface now resembles the moon. My last guess is, the puck not being perfectly flat could be flexing the pads and not getting a full bite against the rotor or binding when under pressure. That'll be part of my winter go-over

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Magic marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I had mine apart recently, all parts move freely but it still sucks, even though it is firm, I even tried a grippier compound and sanding the rotor. My pucks look like vintage concrete on the mating surface, the material is crumbling away and the flat surface now resembles the moon. My last guess is, the puck not being perfectly flat could be flexing the pads and not getting a full bite against the rotor or binding when under pressure. That'll be part of my winter go-over
Mark your rotor radially with a black magic marker Take bike out for a quick ride . Apply rear brake . Back at your garage look at the i ink on the rotor. All of it gone? Should be missing all of the width of the pads.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Great idea, I'll give it a try in a couple days.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Does anyone know if if ktm is doing these service bulletin/recalls UNDER WARRANTY?

My rear brake on an 04 Adv S is non existent.

If I take it in to a ktm dealership, I wanna make sure I have my facts straight.

Thx
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
My 06 rear brake mod was done completely Gratis !

That being said, I still have to bleed the rear brake of bubbles at least 2 times a year. (supposedly this is what the recall addressed)

Normal maintenance to me now.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Sweet, thx a million.

I've bled the system but still no dice. The original system is still there, so the next logical step would be for me to have the warranty work done.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I kept your comment in mind as I've waited 2+ weeks for a brake cylinder rebuild kit (still back ordered 3+ more weeks)

My bike did tip over, just against a wall - no more than a 45 degee lean angle. Still, the brake system was never 'breeched' so I don't how air would have been introduced to brake system.
Yesterday, I bled the rear brake - Voila! Went ahead and flushed out the old brake fluid with new DOT 5.1

My background is with enduro and off-road riding. I've had bikes up-side-down (and worse!) Never considered the 950 being tipped over to be the culprit.
Whether is was or not - IT WORKED.

Thanks for input. I've been able to do some repairs with simple wisdom from the inmates. Other suggestions seem like the end of the world could near (financially). So, when I need help, I'll take all who take the time to post/comment.

Reminds me of Occam's Razor: it goes something like this: "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one."[

Thx - Bob
Hi Bob Is it ok to use 5.1 ?
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Doing some investigating on brakes of various machines I have, I am coming to the conclusion that the master cylinder on the 950 is using to large of a piston and pushing the pucks too fast. One pump shouldn't push the pads all the way out after being pressed in half way.

Upon further tinkering, I also found my pucks are cracking and flaking away around the edges. Hope to rebuild the caliper some time soon.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

I just contacted 3 Bros KTM in So Cal. They looked up my vin and said my rear brake recall has already been performed.

I already back bled, recall has been done, I guess I'll figure out what's next to get my rear brake to engage.